Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need surgery now!!/make scoliosis worse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need surgery now!!/make scoliosis worse?

Heyy guys
    I know this is a very weird question but how do I make my scoliosis worse? Ur probably thinking that I'm crazy or something but the reason why I need it to get worsens because I havw a 53 degree thoracic curve and I'm stuck in a brace my oarents don't want me to gave surgery until either a- get my ... Or b- get worse(to like 60*) I have tons of bruises and breathing problems when I'm not in the brace so I want to settle it once and for all just make it worse so I can jut get it over with! As soon as I take off the brace it feel like it has gotten worse but later on through the hour it gets better n the brace doctor says that he might be able to make my scoliosis better since I'm sooo fexlibe but I rather get surgery than be stuck at like 40* for the rest of my life u know what I'm saying thx in advance!

Your parents are dealing with a quack. It is too bad there is no hell for him to go to.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Just wear the brace as loose as possible. Maybe someone adult will take pity on you.

This how we know there is no god.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Oh Kat, you have more brains than your doctor. Your post has really got my grrrrr going. I don't know how old you are but by golly you are thinking of your own health really well. Can you have a talk to your parents or even refer them to this site so they can read what actually goes on, and Sharon the brace idea is a ripper. Good luck Kat, am here for you sweety if you need me.

Lorraine.
        Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
        Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

My curve got worse when I went to a chiropractor. I went to try to help with the pain of my scoliosis, never imagining that it would make it worse. I went for two years and the treatments were excruciating. I do NOT recommend it. However, I really fear for you wanting to make your curves worse. I totally understand the reasons why, but you could really HURT yourself and possibly paralyze yourself if you do something drastic to make things worse. The spine is nothing to mess with. I'm sorry you are having to endure this while your parents aren't understanding your position. Perhaps if you are feeling this strongly about it you could contact a judge or an attorney to get medical emancipation rather than trying to hurt yourself. Do something productive rather than destructive. The fact that you want to harm yourself to "save" yourself worries me. I know in some states, there are different ages where kids are granted some say and privacy in their own health care. It would be good to find out.

You might want to call your surgeons office and ask him how urgent or necessary your surgery is. Unfortunately for you, scoliosis surgeries are rarely ever urgent. There are some urgent cases like JennaK.B. that are also being ignored. Most likely for you, if you are still growing, you will progress with or without a brace. It's my understanding that 53* is too large of a curve to try to brace, so wouldn't be successful at holding the curve anyway. There is all kinds of literature out there that suggest that a curve of 50* or over will progress over time no matter what age the person is. If your breathing is compromised by your scoliosis, that would be a good indicator of whether or not your case is urgent, although it is unlikely at your current degree. But you can go to your regular pediatrician and ask for a lung capacity test.

You have to understand your parents fear for you to have this surgery. This is one of the biggest if not THE biggest surgery there is. They would rather have you crooked and alive, although I sincerely doubt you would die. But that is THEIR fear. I know it's YOUR body, and you want this done and over with. But you are your parent's daughter. Soon enough, you will be able to decide for yourself what you want done.

Maybe you could try to get your parents to take you to a Shriner's Hospital. It's free for kids and they will definitely give your parents the best and most up-to-date advice. My best advice with dealing with your parents is always be respectful when you let them know your wishes. It goes a LONG way in showing maturity. ALWAYS back up what you want with "proof", in other words do your research and present it to them. Some of the best places to go would be the National Institute of Health and PubMed. These sites will give you research papers. They can be hard to read sometimes, but you seem like a smart person. You can also go the the Scoliosis Research Society. They spell it out pretty clearly in easy to understand terms. This site also has some nice explanations of treatments for scoliosis. You can go to many major hospital websites like Mayo Clinic, UC-Davis, UW-Madison, Hospital for Special Surgery, Johns Hopkins, etc... and type in "scoliosis" to search for information. Being informed is your biggest advantage to showing the reasons why you want to proceed with surgery. It will also make you look very mature when you present it to an adult in a very polite, but to the point way.

I wish you the very best. You've captured all of our hearts. Let us know how things go for you!
          Last edited by rohrer01; 06-15-2012, 04:12 PM. Reason: PubMed not MedScape...
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Thank u

Thank u guys! Ik this is very extreme my doctor wanted to operate on me right away because how felible I am n how much growth I have left he suggested within 6 months or sooner I know everything will be alright I just pray that I'll get surgery before the year ends I'll let u guys know how everything goes!

Comment

If you are a boy I apologize for "assuming" that you are a girl. Please don't respond with your gender, as you are underage.

Take Care!
              Be happy!
              but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                Just wear the brace as loose as possible. Maybe someone adult will take pity on you.

This how we know there is no god.

Sharon let's not bring religion into this I dont want any one to be offended u know what I'm saying no I'm not like against u or any thing I respect everyone's belief but not everyone thinks like me

Comment

[QUOTE=rohrer01;140368]If you are a boy I apologize for "assuming" that you are a girl. Please don't respond with your gender, as you are underage.

Take Care![/
                  I don't see how hiding ur gender will protect u in any way I don't know where u live and u don't know where I live as long as u don't know my full name and don't no where I live it's ok

Comment

Originally posted by Kat3573 View Post
                    Sharon let's not bring religion into this I dont want any one to be offended u know what I'm saying no I'm not like against u or any thing I respect everyone's belief but not everyone thinks like me
                    Okay.

Sharon

ps. About 9 million children under the age of 5 die every year. That's 17 baby kids every MINUTE dying likely very horrible deaths. This is a test of intellectual honesty.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                      Okay.

Sharon

ps. About 9 million children under the age of 5 die every year. That's 17 baby kids every MINUTE dying likely very horrible deaths. This is a test of intellectual honesty.
                      But these children are not dying from scoliosis. This statement could be misconstrued that way.
                      Be happy!
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                      X