Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips for shaving legs?

Hi all,

I'm fortunate enough to not have to shave my legs more than a couple times a year. The first time I generally try to do that is about now, around Memorial Day. I don't really want to ask my husband to do it for me, but right now I'm not sure what other options might be available. Generally I would do it myself in the shower with the same razor I use for my underarms. But I'm not sure that I trust another person -- even my husband -- to use a razor on me, especially given that my legs are still mostly numb from the knees down.

Other than one of those places that does "laser hair removal", I'm not sure what other options exist.

Any tips would be welcome.

-- Thanks,
    Mary
    -- Mary D. Taffet
    Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
    Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Waxing is a option as as using a product like Nair
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I used Nair for the first few times then went back to using my razor with one foot propped up on the shower bench.

Warmly
      Doreen
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

I duct-taped a long wooden spoon onto my razor. I think Jennifer came up with the idea. Worked like a charm--used it for months. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I did the same as Janet and probably used it (changing razors as needed) for 6-8 months.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I'm pretty sure I got the idea from someone here. One of many good ideas I picked up from this forum!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I ended up getting my legs waxed on Sunday for the first time ever, mostly because I had to get a pedicure due to toenail pain that was bad enough to keep me from sleeping. The place I went for the pedicure also does waxing, so I got both services -- though I told the technician that I wouldn't be rolling over onto my stomach for her to wax the back of my legs. She was able to reach most of my leg from the top with me lying on my back, so she doesn't think there would have been much hair to get from the back anyway.

Usually I shave up to 3 times a year (around Memorial Day, in the middle of the summer, and near the end of the summer), but I was told that the waxing may make it so that I only need to do it once this summer. Hopefully she's right about that.

-- Mary
              -- Mary D. Taffet
              Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
              Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

Working...
              X