Dr. Michael Kelly, Dr. Lenke's associate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Michael Kelly, Dr. Lenke's associate

My curve is well past 80 degrees. I'm lucky in that it hasn't gotten worse since reaching adulthood, but it troubles me every day. It has troubled me for as far as I can remember (long before diagnosis). I can remember walking a lap around a large store like Wal Mart would cause intense pain in my ribs.

Finally, thanks to a great combination of great things, I am able to do something about it. I see Dr Kelly next month for the second time and he'll explain the path he thinks is best.

I'm more excited-nervous about this than I have been about many things in my life. I'm also that sort of depressed-anxious-nervous so I'm trying to pass the time. Time, being a mean creature, is dragging its feet cackling at me.

Has anyone here seen Dr. Kelly before? Lots and lots of people have seen Dr. Lenke, I've noticed, and he comes highly recommended so I have faith in pretty much anyone associated with him. I'm not scared, or anxious, about Dr. Kelly, just excited and interested.

Dr. Kelly's nurse Leah has been the nicest person ever.

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.....

Wal Mart can be a painful place, I totally agree......(smiley face)

I’m sure people will chime in on your question...

Did you set a surgery date yet?

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
      Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.....

Wal Mart can be a painful place, I totally agree......(smiley face)

I’m sure people will chime in on your question...

Did you set a surgery date yet?

Ed

Thanks for the welcome.

Nope.. no surgery date yet. I've only seen him once so far. He was very nice, professional, and informative. I can't wait to have a date locked in for surgery.. nervous excitement is overtaking me.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Dr. Lenke was my surgeon, but Dr. Kelly assisted. I remember meeting with him after my surgery while I was in the hospital and I also had my 6 month check up with Dr. Kelly. I am sure that Dr. Lenke is extremely selective when choosing who works with him. I know exactly what you mean about being nervous, yet excited. I've had a smooth recovery so far and I am still thrilled that I had the surgery. I was a total basket case in the 13 months that I was on Dr. Lenke's waiting list for surgery. This forum gave me a tremendous amount of support. I am so thankful that I didn't backout of having surgery. I certainly thought about it.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thanks Karen

I do feel extraordinarily lucky to be able to go to Dr. Lenke's clinic. I believe he plans to consult/assist on my operation and I have faith in his judgement. The internet just has heaps and heaps of good information about Dr. Lenke, but so little (hey, no negative! ) about Dr. Kelly.

Comment

The internet just has heaps and heaps of good information about Dr. Lenke, but so little (hey, no negative! ) about Dr. Kelly.[/QUOTE]

I too started out going to a doctor that it seemed that nobody else had seen [I see Dr. Hart in Portland, OR]. I thought that maybe everyone went to Dr. Lenke. I retired from the medical profession and if Dr. Lenke had Dr. Kelly assisting with him, then you can bet that Dr. Kelly is outstanding. Doctors that are top surgeons want to go to top centers and want to work with top doctors. Dr. Lenke screens and chooses from many top docs and I guarantee that if Dr. Kelly has worked with Dr. Lenke that he has has earned the right to do so. He has proven himself. You also thought that he was good and that is important. Good luck with your surgery.
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
              I too started out going to a doctor that it seemed that nobody else had seen [I see Dr. Hart in Portland, OR]. I thought that maybe everyone went to Dr. Lenke.
              My surgeon, Richard Tallarico in Syracuse, NY, is well-known in this area but is also not talked about much online. Everybody in this area says that Tallarico is the best one around here; fortunately I chose him for a second opinion without knowing that up front. I personally would never have even considered traveling a long distance for surgery elsewhere.

Like Susan, I am a case of adult-onset degenerative scoliosis, though in my case it probably started when I was in my 30's but wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 40's. Surgery this past January in my 50's.

Knowing how difficult life was for me in the few years before the surgery, I'm glad that I didn't have to deal with that kind of pain as an adolescent or young adult.

I might have considered traveling for surgery if I had had very large curves, but mine were relatively small -- just getting rapidly bigger and very painful even as small curves.

I felt comfortable with Tallarico doing my surgery, in part because as I learned after I started seeing him, all the other doctors in this area say either that he's very good or that he's the best.

I would agree with what somebody else said -- that if this very-much talked about Dr. Lenke chose your Dr. Kelly to work with him, then he must be very good.

-- Mary
              -- Mary D. Taffet
              Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
              Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

Working...
              X