Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great 1 yr post-op appt - Tennis anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great 1 yr post-op appt - Tennis anyone?

Hey everyone,

Yesterday I was in St. Louis for my one year post-op appointment. The additional X-rays that were done revealed that my spine has fused. So the typical one year restrictions were lifted. As a bonus, Dr. Bridwell told me, "Go play tennis.". Of course, I was so excited that I actually hit around this afternoon on the courts for the first time since March 2011. It fell really strange at first especially with my two handed backhand, but I was actually amazed how well I could hit the ball and move after a 14 mo. layoff.

I do continue to have some tightness and occasional burning sensation in the shoulde blade idea, but nothing like what I felt back in early March. I actually didnt feel really well until mid-march. Up until that point I had ongoing muscle spasms and even a knot near the shoulder blades. I attribute the improvement to physical therapy and a really good massage therapist who does myofascial release. I continue to do my pt exercises, walk 2.5 miles on the treadmill everyday and lift light weights among other things.

Also,while at St. Louis, my son and I were added to a research study that Drs. Bridwell and Lenke are now conducting. The focus is on the genetic component of scoliosis. My son and I were the ideal subjects since we had the surgery within 2 years of each other.

Thank you for all of the experiences that you fellow scoliosis patients have posted. It certainly helps in the recovery process. Hope that my experience can be encouraging to others, as well.

Donna
    Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
    Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
    Fused T3-L3
    60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
    Tennis player & returning to the courts!
    http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Donna

Great news!

You know, we have my skiing video, Karen’s golf video, but we need that tennis video! (smiley face)

My surgeon told me to go skiing.....At 15 months, I hit the slopes and that sure felt strange. It took a little effort and about a year, till I was satisfied with my abilities as a skier. I almost gave up, and I’m glad that I didn’t. Building of soft tissues takes time, but it will come back.

Your recovery will continue as mine did....its will keep getting better as time passes. My second year was my “fine tuning” period of my recovery.

Sounds like its time to hit the wall.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Great news!

That's great, Donna! I, too, gained a lot of mobility and loosened up muscles through PT, massage, exercise and weight lifting. I find the more active I am, the more mobile I am and the better I feel.
      Tennis?!?!? You were given the okay to twist from the waist or do you have to twist from the hips? My PT taught me to twist from the hips and told me to continue doing so in order to preserve the unfused lower spine. Too much twisting from the waist, according to her, will prematurely wear out the non-fused parts.
      Don't want that!
      Take care!
      Marina
      50 years old!!!!!
      Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
      Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
      Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
      Surgery 07/11/2011
      Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I love hearing stories like this!! I'm hoping every year is better than the last!! Thanks for coming back and posting.

Comment

Glad that you are doing so well
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Donna--
            Congrats on a good appt. Sounds like you are doing all of the right things. The exercise component is so important to continued flexibility! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Donna,
              I am so happy for you!!! Yes, we need you to attach a video of your tennis form. When I got home from Dr. Lenke's office in January with permission to play golf, I headed to the park across the street from our house and hit a few balls in 30 degree weather. I know how excited you must be!
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Playing with caution

Yes, most definitely I cannot hold back the excitement of being back on the court. I realize though that I have to go into this gradually. This morning, I was expecting my back to be sore or even tighter after hitting for about 30 minutes yesterday. Not the case though. I felt it more in my legs and upper buttocks because I was lowering my body so that the power came from my legs and not my upper body. Marina, I believe that my twisting is from hips. I will check with my pt for assurance that I am doing it correctly.

Once I figure out how this new body will adjust to the different strokes, I most definitely will post a video of me playing tennis. Just don't be expecting to see any resemblance to Serena playing!!!
                Donna
                Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
                Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
                Fused T3-L3
                60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
                Tennis player & returning to the courts!
                http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Working...
                X