What happens after?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens after?

My daughter found out that she had scoliosis in the fifth grade and had to wear a brace. Now two years later her curve has worsened to a 41 degree in the brace. Our doctor, Dr. Herndan, says that there is a posibility that she might have to have surgery. She is very active. She loves to dance, cheer, play soccer, and do gymnastics.But she is afraid that she won't be able to do those things after surgery as well as she did before. I really need to know if she will be able to bend and move like before if we decide to have the surgery. Thank you so much.
    Last edited by Regina; 01-15-2005, 12:30 PM.

Hi Regina...

It depends on how many and which vertebrae need to be fused. If the curve is thoracic or thoracolumbar, she'll be more flexible than if it's a lumbar curve. And, obviously, the fewer vertebrae fused, the less loss of flexibility.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi!

I had surgey on my spine when I was 13 years old (in the U.K). My curve was over 70 degrees and my surgery was major. It took me a year to recover fully and go back to activities I took part in prior to my operation.

Obviously due to the nature of the operation a certain amount of movement and flexibility is lost in the back but I am a keen dancer and have been able to carry on with my dancing as well as all other sporting activities I could do before my operation. The only sport I was told not to do was skiing or snowboarding as this is too dangerous and puts a lot of pressure on your spine.

I am now almost 20 and enjoy a fully active lifstyle, better than the one I would have had without the operation. I know how worrying your time is at the moment and that you'll have lots of questions. I will answer any you have if I can.

Take care, Suzi x

Comment

Working...
      X