Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surgeon Recommendation – San Francisco Bay Area.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgeon Recommendation – San Francisco Bay Area.

Hi,

I am new to this forum, but found so much useful information and friendly people here. If I am not following protocol, please let me know.

Can someone recommend a good orthopedic surgeon in San Francisco Bay area? I live in San Jose, CA. I was thinking of Serena Hu (UCSF), Ivan Cheng (Stanford) and John Lettice (El Camino Hospital). If you are a patient of these doctors, I would love to hear from you. Other recommendations are welcome.

Thank you.

Irina.
    Last edited by Irina; 04-13-2012, 06:11 PM.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Hi Irina...

I had scoliosis surgery at UCSF by Drs. Berven and Hu. I am also an employee of the UCSF Spine Center, so my views may be a bit biased. I can tell you for certain, however, that the surgeons at UCSF do far more adult scoliosis surgeries than Stanford or any of the private practice physicians.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,

Do you know how many surgeries Dr. Hu does? What number constitutes high volume? I am just at the beginning of my research and trying to learn as much as possible before I can make a decision. I am not ready for the surgery yet, but when pains get too much to tolerate, I am starting to think... Thank you.

Irina.
      Last edited by Irina; 04-16-2012, 10:47 AM.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
        Hi Linda,

Do you know how many surgeries Dr. Hu does? What number constitutes high volume? I am just at the beginning of my research and trying to learn much as much as possible before I can make a decision. I am not ready for the surgery yet, but when pains get too much to tolerate, I am starting to think... Thank you.

Irina.
        Hi..

On a typical week, Dr. Hu does 3-5 surgeries. It's hard to know, but I'm sure she's in the top 10-20% of surgeons in terms of the number of deformity surgeries she does. I'm sure you can find surgeons who do more surgeries, but I'm not sure that you'll find anyone with a lot more experience. The one thing that all the UCSF orthopaedic surgeons do, is see all of their surgical patients post-operatively. Some surgeons have their patients seen by physician's assistants after they've had surgery.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Irina

Welcome to the forum.

A visit to UCSF would be a good idea. I didn’t have surgery there but it was in my sights years ago. I have been to the scoliosis meetings and have met the surgeons there. They are a great bunch.

Dr Hu has been on the scene a long long time....(smiley face)

Talking with her doesn’t mean you have to make a decision, but that’s where it starts. Its understandable to be scared to death about this, they know this and want you to make an educated decision.

Keep reading and posting
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment