irritated belly button!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• irritated belly button!

DD13 has been wearing the TLSO brace for two months 24-7 without issue. She noticed the other day her naval is red and itches and hurts. I think a combination of pressure and perhaps moisture is causing this. She does wear the very thick BB t shirt under it all the time, and sometimes a nylon one (perhaps it rubs?). In any event, we want to keep it dry and not infected. We have been using Neosporin under direction from the nurse. And we allow it off two hours a day the last two days to let it air and dry a bit. Anything else we need to consider?

The front of her TLSO (which is custom made) does not have any plastic in a large circle over her stomach. The orthodist said they do this for comfort. I'm secretly thinking the foam liner could be cut to allow for air flow. I've attached a photo.
    Attached Files

Hi...

You should check with the orthotist, but I can't imagine why the need for the foam insert.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My daughter had similar belly button issues initially. Our Orthotist cut many air holes in her TLSO including one directly over the navel and that has solved that problem. Each air hole is about 8 mm in diameter.
      Resilience

treated w Milwaukee Brace FT for 3 yrs
      currently 46 with 35 LL and 40 RT curves

8 yr old diagnosed w Scoli 8/10 with 27 LL and 27 RT
      11/10 TLSO Full Time
      4/11 22 LL and 24 RT on waiting list for VBS at Shriners Phila
      12/11 curves still in the 20s but now has some rib cage changes from the brace
      VBS 4/25/12 with Dr. Samdani. Pre Op: 29 RT and 25 LL Post Op: 17 RT and 9 LL
      10/13: 15 RT and 10 LL

Comment

The neosporin looks like it did the trick. No more issues with the belly button. I am going to ask about the foam over the stomach. I don't see my that's needed but I guess I'd better not start cutting it up myself.

Comment

Working...
        X