Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring on the reassurance, people!

Hi Everyone,

I know you are all probably sick of hearing from me by now, but I have to ask for one more pre-op favor. Can you please remind me again why I'm having this surgery? I could really use some reassurance that I am doing the right thing. I must be one of those people who will be second-guessing this as they wheel me down the hall into the OR.

Anyway, got my central line placed this morning. The nurse who had me move from the bed that they carried me in on to the bed where they placed the line said: "Are you sure you need back surgery?" I told her I have scoliosis, and said she must see people like me all the time. She said: "Usually people who are about to have back surgery don't move that well." Hmpf. This is nothing new, of course. It's just difficult to see what would happen if I DIDN'T have surgery, when I am staring surgery in the face.

Ah well. I have an 80-something degree thoracolumbar curve with documented progression in recent years. That is why. But it sure doesn't get any easier as the surgery gets closer.

Thanks (again!) everyone,
    Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

My hubby gave me the best advice the day before my surgery, "All you have to do is go to sleep tonight, wake up and go to the hospital, then go back to sleep. Dr. Lenke will take care of the hard part."

Tell Amy, your anesthesia nurse, in the morning that you do not want to be awake while going down the hall. Ask for your "special cocktail" when you see her. ;-)

Just think, in less than 24 hours you'll be on the other side! Continued prayers for you, Dr. Lenke and his team.

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

It will be OK

Hi Evelyn,
      Just sent you an email...
      add and calm or subside her fears/worry!
      You certainly have one of the best surgeons and have prepared well for this journey. All your hard work will pay off. Dr. Lenke would not do the surgery if he didn't believe you needed it. You are in great hands. I will not tire or get exhausted hearing about your journey or posts. You are doing the right thing! Don't second guess yourself.
      Best,
      Heidi
      Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
      53*T 71*L
      Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
      Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Just think of all the successful surgeries on the forum. And you are younger
        than most and have a highly successful surgical team. You will do
        great!! Keep thinking positive thoughts!

Pam
        Pam, age 49
        Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
        April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
        T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Just remember that these people that make RUDE comments are only human. She probably just wasn't thinking, or may have been trying to lighten things up with a little of what she may have thought was "humor", who knows.

I had a nurse actually LAUGH at me when she asked me about my heart condition before being wheeled into surgery once. I asked her why that was funny and she got a stunned look on her face. I had to explain what the condition was and WHY it was so named IST. People are just thoughtless. The cardiologist that diagnosed me certainly didn't think it was funny. It's all ignorance.

Like the others have said. Dr. Lenke certainly wouldn't even entertain the thought of doing surgery on you if you did not NEED it. 80* is nothing to sneeze at. Your organs will crush. If you let it go too far, they might not be able to help you. If your curve were in the "grey area" as mine is (upper 40's), I could see you second guessing, but it's not. I hope this is reassuring. My thoughts are with you. Please rest easy, you're almost there.

Rohrer01
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Evelyn,
            The nurse was out of line in her comment but probably thought she was complimenting you. Dr. Lenke would absolutely not do the surgery unless he thought it was necessary. As you know, he doesn't need "the business" as it is a long wait for surgery with him, since he is one of the best. I could do everything I could possibly want to do before surgery with no pain,but I know that my future is brighter because I had surgery. Guess what? I'm back to doing everything I did before surgery and can do some things better. I no longer have to find a place to sit after standing for a long time. I can even go shopping longer thant before. I know I'm rambling on, but you are doing the right thing. You are in good hands!
            Karen
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Best of luck

Evelyn
              I am 8 months out of surgery. I was in great shape prior to surgery and I am making great strides in my recovery. People constantly tell me that they were shocked to hear that I had under gone spine surgery as they never knew that I had scoliosis. I have discovered that for the most part people have little knowledge of what an individual with scoliosis endures on a day to day basis, both with pain and resultant limitations but also the awareness that it is a progressive deformity. The decision and timing to have surgery is huge and we are here to support you! Best of luck tomorrow- you soon will be on the other side!
              Nan
              54yo
              T10-L5
              July 12, 2012

Comment

Evelyn--
                I can't say it better than all of the above concerning reasons for surgery, Dr. Lenke's expertise, etc. etc. Think positive, deep breaths. Can't wait to see you on the other side. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. Feeling a bit calmer. Took the first of the two showers (and the deep breaths!) and am going to bed. Thank God for you all and this Forum. Really.

My mother or husband will post for me tomorrow evening.

Best,
                  Evelyn
                  age 48
                  80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                  Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                  Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                  Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                  Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Evelyn

You are doing the right thing.....the chances of progression and future pain are high. If you could only experience some of the pain I had to deal with years ago, you wouldn’t question this.

Hang in there....positive thoughts! Have your hubby post for you.

Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

You're absolutely doing the right thing Evelyn. You have the most important box ticked: You have an excellent surgeon with masses of experience. You're going to do great and you're going to be so glad you did it!
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

the other side

Hi Evelyn and family,
                        I have been thinking about you all day. I hope all is well and can't wait for an update.
                        hugs and prayers,
                        Heidi
                        Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
                        53*T 71*L
                        Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
                        Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Evelyn,

That nurse deserved a smack. Seriously. Like someone else said, she was probably trying to be helpful, but REALLY??? A medical professional at that? Tsk-tsk.

You are at the really hard part now. I also agree with whoever said to ask not to be awake going down the hall. I asked for the "Happy Juice" and I wasn't anxious at all. I do remember being wheeled away, and entering the OR but that's the last thing I recall until I woke up seeing my surgeon's face in the recovery room and him telling me that I did great.

I look forward to reading your update.

Good luck,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                            Evelyn,

That nurse deserved a smack. Seriously. Like someone else said, she was probably trying to be helpful, but REALLY??? A medical professional at that? Tsk-tsk.
                            Definitely! It would be entirely different if you had asked her if she thought you really needed surgery, but there's no way anyone can tell how able or disabled you are by simply watching you move around in bed. It's especially a bad thing to have said to anyone who is so close to their surgery.

I often find myself trying to talk patients out of surgery, but I usually change tactics completely when I know they've made up their mind to go ahead.

Best of luck with your surgery. You're in really good hands. While there's no guarantee of reducing and eliminating your pain, there's a good likelihood that you'll have at least some improvement. And, even if you don't get any improvement, at least you will have stopped the progression.

Regards,
                            Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                            X