No announcement yet.

For those of you who have had an ileus.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you who have had an ileus.

This isn't necessarily a scoliosis related topic. I have had a recent surgery that was supposed to be fairly simple (laparoscopy). It seems I have developed an ileus (confirmed by x-ray). For those of you who have had this happen, how did they treat yours and how did it go? I'm pretty miserable right now. Thanks in advance.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

They are a drag for sure.

I had one in my recovery and was 9 months along! Ng tube and all. I don’t remember what they used, but they have drugs to help induce peristalsis. Mine lasted 9 days..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristalsis

Ileus seems to happen quite often in anterior surgeries.

Hang in there and follow doctors orders as they can be stubborn....

Went to my wizard yesterday and my C5/6 disc is hammered, bone spurs, the usual.
    As Roseanne Roseannadanna would say, “Its always something” (smiley face)

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi rohrer,

I developed an ileus about 3 days after my recent revision surgery, which was an anterior and posterior approach. I stayed in the hospital an extra 3 days and was miserable also, mostly with nausea and vomiting. The treatment was supportive: IV fluids, minimal intake by mouth, chewing gum to send saliva downstream, and just waiting. It resolved after a few days and I was able to go home, although I still had some problems with nausea and vomiting for about the first week I was home.

I am curious, are you at home with your ileus? Because you really need IV hydration while you are unable to take in fluids by mouth. Hopefully they have readmitted you for some supportive care until you feel better.

Good luck,
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. Yes, I am at home with this AND taking care of a sick grandson. My surgeon suggested it (an upper blockage) and my PCP confirmed it. I have been extremely nauseated for the whole time from surgery on. My PCP did't say there was a total obstruction. He thought it was more "sleepy bowels". The lower was empty and the upper had air, not good (sorry TMI). Thankfully NO NG tube. He prescribed an antibiotic that is known for stimulating the bowel and encouraged me to drink and eat little bits as I can tolerate it.

Well, last night I spiked a fever of around 101*. It was uncertain for a readmit last night for IV fluids and antibiotics. The thing is, I am also coming down with something viral. So I called the nurse advisor and she was really back and forth because of the fever, but also clearly hearing that I was sick, suggested trying to get one more antibiotic down with just one bite of food and little bits of warm liquid. About 2:00am I felt about three rumbles in my upper tummy, something I hadn't been feeling for a week (I don't know WHY I waited so long). When the rumbles started, the fever also went away. So, now I know the fever WAS ileus related and not due to my cold (which I thought was the flu). I'm feeling MUCH better today, although still nervous. So far, things are doing what they are supposed to be doing (sorry again TMI). I'm just afraid that it will come and go, as it seems to have beed doing. I'm hoping the 10 day antibiotic will keep things active enough for long enough to get over this.

It really is miserable having surgery (albeit minor), getting SICK, NOT being able to rest as much as I needed to, and ending up with this ileus.

Again, thanks for everything and all of your stories and advice. My own personal perspective on this: I am NOT ready to have scoliosis surgery!

Ed,
        How can your disc go bad if it's fused? Sorry if that's a lame question.
        Last edited by rohrer01; 03-03-2012, 03:21 PM. Reason: nonsense statement/additional thought
        Be happy!
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          They are a drag for sure.

I had one in my recovery and was 9 months along! Ng tube and all. I don’t remember what they used, but they have drugs to help induce peristalsis. Mine lasted 9 days..
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristalsis

Ileus seems to happen quite often in anterior surgeries.

Hang in there and follow doctors orders as they can be stubborn....

Went to my wizard yesterday and my C5/6 disc is hammered, bone spurs, the usual.
          As Roseanne Roseannadanna would say, “Its always something” (smiley face)

Ed
          How did that happen 9 months out? That seems really odd. I thought of this condition more as something that happens with major, MAJOR surgeries. I guess I was wrong.

Of course, they had to take x-rays. It wasn't a full spine, but there was enough of my lower spine in the picture that I can visibly see things are still going downhill. I'm not quite sure what I will do as far as returning to the scoli doc any time soon, because even if he recommends surgery right now, I KNOW I'm not up for that. It could be that I'm still feeling so yucky from this multiple blow. I'm just sick of feeling sick!
          Be happy!
          but we are alive today!

Comment

9 months along as in 9 months prego! Pretty big, like carrying triplets big...LOL

C5/6 is in my neck.....it’s the part of me that isn’t fused. The rest of my rack is fine and dandy.

Try to take care of yourself.....vomiting happens when the plumbing stops up. Like Gayle said, you need to be aware of your fluids. If need be, go to the hospital.

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

For some reason I read "in my mind" L5/S1. Don't ask me why. Bummer. I hope they can get it fixed.

Everything went whoosh and now I'm not gurgling again. I'm wondering if there's a kink that straightens out and then rekinks. I ate yogurt because of the antibiotic and am now feeling very sick again. I'm drinking warm jello water and that doesn't seem to bother me too much. Believe me, if it gets to the point where I can't drink anything, I will go to the hospital.
              Be happy!
              but we are alive today!

Comment

I had an ileus for the first 5 days after my surgery-- no food or drink at all-- not even ice chips. And as Leah mentioned, IV fluids were needed all that time. I was in the hospital for 11 days. Best wishes. Glad things have started progressing.

Ed-- sorry to hear of your new problem.
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

IV Injection

Hello -

Sorry to hear that you had an ileus. I hope things are getting better. I had one post op that lasted 10 days !!!! By Day 6 I was in sooo much pain that I was crying sooo hard. It was a horribe time. IN addition to the discomfort they had to take xrays of of my stomach I guess every day sometimes twice a day to see if things were resolving and they had to put the hard xray board under me to do that. They put in an NG tube on day 6/7 but that did not do anything so I was sent back down to PACU for a strong IV injection that forced my bowels to move. I believe it was called Neostigmine. They were very reluctant to do this as I needed to be sent downtp PACU and monitored for two days for this. They however figured I needed it after things were not changing after about a weekHope you feel better soon.
                  Diagnosed as a teenager
                  Surgery 06/21/2011 Dr Boachie HSS
                  Age 34 at time of surgery
                  Pre Op : Thoracic 87; Lumbar 85
                  Post Op: Thoracic 36; Lumbar 21
                  Gained almost 2 inches in height !

Comment

Working...
                  X