Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return to Work

Hi everyone,

I am curious for those who have jobs, how long before you were able to return to work. I was thinking probably between 4-5 months. I realize everyone is different but want to see what others have to say.

Thanks.

Return to work

Seven weeks. Of course it depends on the type of job.
    50 years old!!!!!
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
    Surgery 07/11/2011
    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I started back part-time at 6 weeks --- mornings MWF. The TLSO brace makes it kinda difficult but we're managing.
      Sheree
      Diagnosed age 18 - told I was done growing and it wouldn't get any worse
      Had two children
      Back started hurting more around age 52
      Saw Dr. Whitaker, KS Joint and Spine Institute, Jan. 2009 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 50
      Saw Dr. Whitaker again Oct. 11 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 55
      Fused T4-S1 with pelvic fixation and one cage Jan. 10, 2012 at Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, KS - age 55
      Post-Op X-ray - Thoracic was 50 and Lumbar was 23
      My Blog: www.shereeglanzer.blogspot.com

Comment

I returned to work at 14 weeks post-op. I still had significant activity restrictions, and have a physically demanding job, so I went back on limited duty, with my activities limited to doing seated computer work.

It really was a few weeks too soon for me, as I was exhausted and had an increase in pain for at least several weeks. But I was just so bored at home, and under financial pressure to return sooner.

I think 4-5 months is a very good estimate, and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised and able to go back back sooner.
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
          I returned to work at 14 weeks post-op. I still had significant activity restrictions, and have a physically demanding job, so I went back on limited duty, with my activities limited to doing seated computer work.

It really was a few weeks too soon for me, as I was exhausted and had an increase in pain for at least several weeks. But I was just so bored at home, and under financial pressure to return sooner.

I think 4-5 months is a very good estimate, and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised and able to go back back sooner.
          Thank you all for your input - it is very encouraging.

Comment

how about a sit-at-a-desk-all-day job?

Does anyone have any ideas about how soon someone who sits at a desk and can get up to move whenever they need to might expect to go back to work? I need to start planning my surgery, but haven't been on the job for a year yet, so would like to keep the time off to a minimum.
            Posterior fusion T-3 to S-1 scheduled 12/6/12 and anterior fusion scheduled 12/11/12.
            Dr. Sigurd Bergen, UCSF

Comment

Back to work at a desk job.

Knitter, I have a job just as you describe. The one thing I would say is the MOST important to consider is the chair that you will be sitting in. I went back to work 7 weeks after my surgery (brand new job). I still bring in pillows for the chair I sit in. You won't know what is comfortable and what isn't until after your surgery. I thought a lazy boy would be perfect but found out the contoured back rest was and still is very uncomfortable. I need a straight back and something to support my head, if possible. The chair here at work has none of those features, thus the pillow. My employer offered to get me a new/better chair but I need to go and sit in a chair before I know what I can sit in. I've just been to lazy to go and do it.
              Good luck!
              50 years old!!!!!
              Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
              Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
              Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
              Surgery 07/11/2011
              Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I was back to work full time (which includes a lot of sitting) at about 4 months. I agree about the chair, but unfortunately, you won't really know what works best for you until after you've had surgery, and have the chance to sit for at least a few hours at a time.

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I started teleworking an hour or so a day at two months and kept upping the hours as I gained strength and brain power. :-) Started going to the office around four months a couple days a week and teleworked the other days. Went back full time about four and half months.

Now at six months, I have gone on my first business trip. Did bring a memory foam pillow to use on the plane and in the rental car. It helped a lot.

What is interesting, since I still have a bit of a hump in my back on the right side, I wonder if I will ever not need a pillow at work. I just can't sit in a normal office chair. We'll see.

I am very happy to have better breathing capability....
                  Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                  Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                  Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                  Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                  The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                  Before and after xrays:
                  http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Working...
                  X