Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn: Dave W.

Dave,

Do have any pain now? How long did it take before you felt "normal" again? How old were you when you had the surgery? Did your self image improve after surgery? Did you have to wear a brace and for how long? How long were you off work?

By the way, I read your book before I had my surgery and it really helped me out. I knew more or less what to expect. Thank you so much for caring enough about others with scoliosis to write the book.

Lexy

I agree

I just got through reading your book and it was very clear and well written. My mom has read it twice and is telling everyone she knows about it and to read it to prepare for MY surgery. So Thanks for a great book.
    Tiny

Comment

I agree! I've also read the book (in one night, could not put it down!) and will be reading it again this weekend as I prepare to meet with my Ortho for my pre-op appointment. It's given me a lot of great information and questions to go over with my doc. Issues that I otherwise would not have been aware of, like the risks of having a thoracoplasty while having Asthma.

My husband is going to read it prior to my surgery also to prepare him for some of the things that both he and I will be going through in the coming months.

Thanks so much David for writing a great book in a language that we can all understand!!! Well done!!!!

Comment

Book

Dave,
        Ditto. I wish I had had the book when I saw my ortho last time. I won't be having surgery until June so I will have another shot at it.

Thanks!
        Christine

Comment

Thank you all for your kind comments about the book! It's now out of print, as I sold every copy I printed. NSF (this site) may still have some copies available. I also sell an eBook (electronic version) on my own site, www.CurvedSpine.com. I'm contemplating doing a Second Edition in a few months.

Lexy - to answer your questions:

Do have any pain now?

> Very little. I still get occassional muscle aches around my right shoulder, but it's nothing that laying down, brief massage, ibuprofen, or Icy Hot can't fix. I'm 2 years post-op now and frankly don't notice my spine anymore.

How long did it take before you felt "normal" again?

> It's hard to say. I felt 90% back to normal about 3 months after surgery. But that last 10% took almost a year.

How old were you when you had the surgery?

> 30

Did your self image improve after surgery?

>Honestly, I didn't have any significant image problems prior to surgery. I looked fine to everyone else, as my S-curve balanced me out. The rib hump bothered me. My surgeon did a thoracoplasty and reduced the rib hump about 85%. I love the flatness of my back today.

Did you have to wear a brace and for how long?

>No.

How long were you off work?

>I had lost my job just prior to having surgery so didn't have a job to go back to. I made my job writing the book, which I started one month post-op. Sitting at a computer typing was one of the few things I could do comfortably 3 weeks after surgery. But I couldn't do it for more than maybe 4 hours before I became exhausted and had to lay down. I could've returned to any normal office job within 2 months, though.

Thanks again!
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X