Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any opinions on chiropractic?

hi, my name is jen. i'm 19. i was diagnosed with mild scoliosis

(i believe a 30 degree curve in upper spine and 20 in lower? honestly, if that sounds wacky, i'm sure i don't remember correctly)

when i was 14. my family and i drove to an orthopedic surgeon in philadelphia, who looked at the xrays and hastily told us that it wasn't so bad and that i shouldn't experience any pain.

of course, there was pain. i ignored it for a long time because of that doctor, and just last week i visited a chiropractor, who assured me that my pain was normal for a person with curves where mine are. he said that although chiropractic can't reverse the curves, it can help with the pain, by making sure that the rather squished discs stay healthy and mobile.

has anyone else here had any chiropractic experiences? i know that they can't reverse the curve, especially since i'm full grown, but have any of you had any positive/negative/neutral results from a chiropractic treatment for pain?

i have always been told that since my scoliosis isn't severe, i shouldn't be having any problems or pain from it. this guy was the first to offer some explanations for my back pain and a way to ease it. do you guys think chiropractors are quacks? do you think they can help?

My experience with chiropractics was negative.
    Treatment helped my neck somewhat, but the chiro failed to address my muscle spasam problem, so adjustments were uncomfortable and ineffective....
    Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
    Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
    Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
    Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
    February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
    September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Hi Jen...

My experience is just like Blair's. While I've had success in terms of dealing with my neck pain, my lower back pain didn't change after over a year of 3X/week adjustments.

Scoliosis really isn't the reason for your pain. If it was, everyone with scoliosis would have pain. If you have pain, there's a specific reason for it. If you can find the problem, you might be able to find a solution. If you're not having any luck with orthopaedists, and chiropractic doesn't work for you, you might want to try a physical therapist who specializes in spine problems.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Jen,

I have a slight case of scoliosis and see a chiropractor monthly who helps ease the muscle spasms. Additionally, he helped my son's spasms in one visit. (My son had surgery in Nov.) So, we have had a very positive experience, but I recommend proceeding with caution. There are certainly quacks out there (in every profession!) and chiropractors need to know their limitations. When my chiropractor saw my son's back he stressed how important it was that he get to an MD.

Also just wanted to mention that when I did take my son to an MD, she, too, said that scoliosis wasn't painful. When I questioned that statement based on my experience she qualified it by saying that there can be pain associated with it. So, as true in most medical situations, you just need to find the right question to ask!

Good luck in your search.

Susan

Comment

I am not a fan of chiropractic and never had been (full disclosure: I had one consultation, but did not allow him to do an adjustment). Not surprisingly, my surgeon isn't either and warned me about the damage that can be done by chiropractic adjustments. That being said, I am sure chiropractors warn about surgeons all the time....

Comment

Waste

Don't bother wasting your time and money. They say they know how to help, but they don't. I am paying off one, so I know.

Comment

Hi
              I had chiropractic treatment on my back before my surgery when I had 50 degree curves unlike others I found it to be very worthwhile and it reduced the amount of pain I had
              15 with a 50 degree curve
              Had surgery now have 2 metal rods in my back

Comment

minimally helpful

Hi,

I tried two different chiropractors- one only focused on a two-inch square section of my back and the other had me tracing my xrays on tracing paper so I could "visualize my spine straightening". Needless to say, neither one was particularly helpful for pain, and I paid them both a lot of money.

In general, the adjustments didn't really help me, but it DID help to have someone hold me accountable for paying attention to my health (don't think it was worth 80 bucks a week, however.)

Good luck- if you want chiropractic help, SHOP AROUND.
                28 year old female, 68T and 43L degree curves considering surgery

Comment

When I was 19 I noticed that my hips appeared uneven to me and I had started to have a lot of lower back pain during the day and at night when I laid down on my back it felt as if my back were going to break in two. I mentioned it to my doctor (actually a nurse practitioner) at an annual visit and she suggested a chiropractor. I was hesitant but decided to try anyway when the pain continually got worse. The chiropractor did an x-ray and it showed an s-shaped curve. He recommended a treatment plan that started with me going 3 times a week for the first 2 weeks, then 2 times a week, and gradually down to a maintenance stage where I would go once a month. The pain improved after the first week and within a month was gone. He did another x-ray after 3 months but the curve didn't show any improvement. I quit going after I moved and gradually the pain has come back. I've been thinking about finding one in this area, I haven't been in years now and the pain is starting to get bad, but I know the initial treatments (3 times a week) are expensive and I just don't have the money right now. Best of luck to you and I hope others will respond who have had success treating either the pain or the curvature either by chiro or other ways.

Comment

There is no evidende that chiropractors can help with scoliosis. I have always avoided them.

Kelly

Comment

I went to a chiropractor for a couple of months. I felt it was a waste of time and money. He spent about 5 minutes cracking my back 3 times a week. This cost me a mere $40 a visit. Actually, I thought that was ridiculous. I've heard there are good chiropractors out there, I just don't want to waste the time and money trying to find one. It didn't help me with my pain at all.
                      Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                      2003- 33 degrees
                      2005- 37 degrees
                      2006- 44 degrees
                      May 2007- 47 degrees
                      December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
                      Fused T1 to L2
                      Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Working...