New Creaking Sounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Creaking Sounds

I am at the 2.5 week mark following surgery. Doing very well - had very little pain prior to surgery and have very little pain now. I'm on Flexeril and Lortab 10 -- Flexeril is 3 times per day, Lortab as needed. I'm trying to space out the Lortab so I won't have too much trouble going off it.

Yesterday I noticed some new "sounds" coming from my back! Trying to determine if it's my bones creaking or the hardware. Don't think I need to be concerned but was hoping someone else would give me their input on the sounds. Will those sounds always be there? Will they get worse?

I gained about 2" in height as a result of the surgery -- now I'm as tall as my husband! Dr. Whitaker had told me earlier that the only way (and best way) to recover from this surgery is to walk so I've been trying to walk at least one mile per day. Fortunately, KS has had a very mild month of January so I've been able to do a lot of my walking outside.

Considering how I was anticipating to be feeling following surgery, I'm very grateful that I've been blessed with a smooth recovery thus far. Thank you, God, for modern medicine, for surgeons, and for family!
    Sheree
    Diagnosed age 18 - told I was done growing and it wouldn't get any worse
    Had two children
    Back started hurting more around age 52
    Saw Dr. Whitaker, KS Joint and Spine Institute, Jan. 2009 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 50
    Saw Dr. Whitaker again Oct. 11 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 55
    Fused T4-S1 with pelvic fixation and one cage Jan. 10, 2012 at Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, KS - age 55
    Post-Op X-ray - Thoracic was 50 and Lumbar was 23
    My Blog: www.shereeglanzer.blogspot.com

Congratulations Sheree. I'm amazed you're walking a mile at 2 weeks out. That's fantastic. Especially because it's the one thing we can do to help ourselves. Try to rest plenty, too. It sounds like everything's falling into place nicely for you!

I don't know what the creaking sounds are, but I'm sure someone here will have experienced them too and have some advice.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Sounds

Hi Sheree!
      Try not to worry. I had ALL kinds of different sounds and sensations in the weeks after surgery and I freaked out after each and every one. If you don't have any pain associated with those creaks, I wouldn't worry about them. I am almost 7 mos post surgery and remember those early days all too well. You don't know what to expect and you constantly worry. At least I did. I'm sure everything is okay.
      I wish you a continued good recovery.
      Marina
      50 years old!!!!!
      Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
      Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
      Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
      Surgery 07/11/2011
      Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Hello there! My surgery was on January 10, 2011. I was celebrating my one year as you were undoing surgery! Soon you will be celebrating too. I had an especially good recovery, but it sounds like you've got me beat. I don't think I could have walked a mile at only 2.5 weeks out. Good for you!

I have also had creaking sounds from day one. They have been keeping tabs on all the hardware. Nothing is loose and none of the bolts have moved. Their theory is that maybe the lower cross piece is making the creaking noise. It is definitely a squeaky creak-not a pop. And it is definitely loud-my hubby can hear it if he is standing or sitting next to me. It gives him the willies. In the beginning, I was afraid of not achieving full fusion if the hardware was loose. But my one year checkup a couple weeks ago showed that everything doing great. The creaking has never gone away. It is especially prevalent when I am rolling over in bed (I still log roll) or when laying on my tummy for a massage or for PT exercises/stretches.

So I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially with no pain involved. I would just mention it to the doc so that they are aware of it. Best wishes on the recovery. It sounds like you are doing phenomenal. And get lots of rest!
        Jenee'-52
        Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
        Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
        I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
        9 hours
        T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
        Non-fusion
        Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Hi, It sounds as if you are doing great!

Im almost 15mths post op and have been having clicking noises for the past 3mths.
          I get it when im driving and changing gear and also when I roll over in bed-my hubby can hear it too.
          My surgeon said it was soft tissue-whatever that means! I cant help being worried sometimes that parts of my spine arent fusing but I guess its natural to think that.

I have heard of others with this so I wouldnt worry too much.
          Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

2 inches?

Hi, Sorry about your creaking, I can't even offer an opinion- but I am amazed that you gained height yet still have a significant thoracic curve- tht's good to hear! My curves are somewhat close to yours (pre op) - and while I'm not doing this surgery for vanity, it would be so nice to be straight: to be taller, and have a straight torso. I just had my neck fused in Nov. and I started feeling less fragile after about 4 weeks- can't explain it, all of a sudden It was easier to ride in a car, the vibrations didn't affect me, etc. hopefully you will soon get adjusted to your new spine! Congratulations, I am ready for my scoli surgery- man, I wish it was behind me already! God bless you with a smooth recovery- Jamie in Texas
            57 years old.
            thoracic curve 68 degrees
            lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
            Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
            Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
            THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Originally posted by scooter950 View Post
              Hi, Sorry about your creaking, I can't even offer an opinion- but I am amazed that you gained height yet still have a significant thoracic curve- tht's good to hear! My curves are somewhat close to yours (pre op) - and while I'm not doing this surgery for vanity, it would be so nice to be straight: to be taller, and have a straight torso. I just had my neck fused in Nov. and I started feeling less fragile after about 4 weeks- can't explain it, all of a sudden It was easier to ride in a car, the vibrations didn't affect me, etc. hopefully you will soon get adjusted to your new spine! Congratulations, I am ready for my scoli surgery- man, I wish it was behind me already! God bless you with a smooth recovery- Jamie in Texas
              Jamie, are you having your neck& back fused together?
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
              X