Surgury March 9th with Dr. Boachie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgury March 9th with Dr. Boachie

Just wanted to thank everyone out there who has supported our family as we worked through the very difficult decision of choosing a surgeon for our 13 year old. We have decided as a family on Dr. Boachie-Adjei, Hospital for Special Surgery NYC. The surgery is scheduled for March 9th. While I am still very stressed and worried about major surgery. I feel so confident in our decision. This guy was everything you all said about him! What a wonderful caring doctor, and one who everyone says is an artist. He spent an hour and a half with us going over our questions, and discussing his treatment plan. I will check in with everyone over the next 2 months, probably more toward the surgery date, but just wanted to share my thanks with everyone!

Susanna
    Susanna
    ~~~~~~
    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

hi susanna
    i can't believe you booked boachie!! When did you set the date?? I was so surprised how soon it is. You know that we will all be here for you during the next two months with questions that will arise. Your advise to me was great about nicole sleeping on the couch when we first got home it was a lifesaver. All the things we keep hearing about dr. boachie, you know you made a great choice. Keep calm, things are going to be fine. It's the hardest part beforehand.
    keep in touch
    jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

All of us feel really good about him. I see no need to go any further. I booked the date yesterday. We found out the curve we had thought had stopped moved 7 degrees from October until now. She's at 60/40 and I am not waiting for it to get so bad he has to fuse more of her back. Now he believes he can achieve 10 to 20 degrees on the major curve, so she will be darn close to straight. He's going to do the surgery anterior and take bone from the rib, so she will not have all her back muscles cut, and no hip pain.

He inspired confidence in all of us, so we're just going to go for it. We've done the research on the medical side and the hospital side, and talked to probably 75-80 patients including you, and everyone says the same thing. He's the best!

Third doc was the charm!

Susanna
      Susanna
      ~~~~~~
      Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

hi susanna
        i agree with what you said about the longer you wait the more they will have to fuse. Before we booked nicole's surgery her curve was in the 50's and our dr. we were using before boachie said they would fuse to L1 and then we met boachie and he said the same. Then we went for post op x-rays a few months later and the curve was 7 degrees worse, she had to be fused to L2, so i am thankful that we didn't wait any longer and more would have had to been fused. Do you know from what to what he is fusing? I am glad that nicole had bone from the rib used, because i felt that the pain was all in one area rather than having another pain in another area and i've spoken to some people who had hip bone removed and they were in pain when sitting . Every person is different, but nicole never once complained about her rib hurting.
        talk to you soon
        jennifer

Comment

Working...
        X