Four weeks away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four weeks away!

Although I've been reading these helpful forums for a long time, this is my first time to post. My surgery is scheduled for Jan. 10, 2012, with Dr. Whitaker in Wichita, KS. He is planning to do the following: "T4 - S1 and iliac wing fixation, posterior spinal fusion and instrumentation, possible decompression, possible osteotomies." What has been so helpful to me is to see the number of people that have come through this type of surgery and are now "on the other side." Being on this side -- the anticipating/dreading/fearing/wanna just get it over with side --- is not fun at all. Today has been a tough day as I've struggled with lots of fears and wondering what the recovery will really be like. I do know that I will be sent home with a brace following the surgery. I am 55 years old, have a wonderful supportive husband, two married kids, no grandkids yet (wanna get this done so I can be a grandma someday), have lots of friends that are very supportive, have a all-powerful God that I serve, but still struggling with fears. Would appreciate your prayers and any words of encouragement you could offer, especially those that have been thru this surgery and are either recovered or in the recovery process. I have been a firm believer in exercising so have continued to do that thru this "waiting period."

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 18 yrs old and was told that I was finished growing and that there was nothing that could be done at this point and the scoliosis would probably just stay where it was. I have had different follow-up visits in the last 25 years and it's only been in the last several years that my curvature has gotten worse. I have very little pain, just when I clean my house!! The reason I am going ahead with this surgery is that my curves are continuing to increase and it's "time to face it", have the surgery, and move on with my life.

Thanks for listening to this mumble/jumbled rambling. Thanks in advance for any advice/support, encouragement you can offer.
    Sheree
    Diagnosed age 18 - told I was done growing and it wouldn't get any worse
    Had two children
    Back started hurting more around age 52
    Saw Dr. Whitaker, KS Joint and Spine Institute, Jan. 2009 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 50
    Saw Dr. Whitaker again Oct. 11 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 55
    Fused T4-S1 with pelvic fixation and one cage Jan. 10, 2012 at Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, KS - age 55
    Post-Op X-ray - Thoracic was 50 and Lumbar was 23
    My Blog: www.shereeglanzer.blogspot.com

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Your story is very similar to mine. I was 57, almost 58 when I had surgery and my thoracic curve was 68. It had progressed rapidly since age 50. I'm fused T4 - Sacrum with pelvic fixation, same as your plan. My surgery went well. I took it very easy during recovery, doing little other than walking, eating, sleeping for several months. I took a real holiday from responsibility, putting myself first, for the first time in my adult life. I actually enjoyed it (barring the dizziness I had getting off the Oxycontin!)

I was quite fit when I had surgery and I do feel it helped. Nothing complicated, just fast walking and kayaking, but by the time surgery came around, I felt strong and able to face anything.

If you have any questions, please just ask, or PM me if you prefer. Best of luck! Jen
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I offer you my prayers & wishes for a fast, successful recovery, and I'll ask the same of you for my son's scoli surgery Jan 3 in FL. I ask for calm & peace for you, & just keep Phil 4:2 in mind. All positive expectations. Glad you posted; there are so many great people on here whose experiences help us learn what's to come, what to avoid, & just feel like a safety net.
      Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
      Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
      Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
      Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
      photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

That will be my one year anniversary...you picked a good day to have surgery!

Everything you are describing is normal... We have all felt it. Keep thinking positive and you will do fine.

Dreading having surgery is like facing childbirth for the first time. You read all about it, and know the mechanics of it, but still have this big unknown picture of it- knowing you have to face it, can't control it, and that there is no turning back. But just like childbirth, you get through it. And time eases the memories of those first days of recovery. Yes, it is tough, I'm not going to paint a rosy picture, but it is tolerable. Being fortunate enough to have a great support system is more than half the battle. I was also blessed with a wonderful, understanding husband who helped me so much through those first few weeks. And still to this day. Now I have a much better quality of life than I had before surgery. It was all worth it.

Soon you will be having YOUR anniversary and hopefully encouraging others!
        Jenee'-52
        Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
        Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
        I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
        9 hours
        T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
        Non-fusion
        Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

I had my surgery almost a year ago at age 60. I had to almost laugh when you said your back didn't bother you much unless you were cleaning. I seldom experienced pain when I was doing things I enjoyed, but I would wear out cleaning the house or standing for long periods of time. Spring, from the forum, also has her surgery on Jan. 10th, so you will both be in my prayers on that day. The pre-surgery period is the toughest. (at least it was for me, but I tend to be a worrier)
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Not sure if the first little while after surgery is similar for adults as teens, but my son's pain was so well managed that the evening after his first surgery and his halo on, he was watching a suspense/thriller show and enjoying it. He'd watch for a while and then doze off and watch a bit more and was thirsty and talked fine and on and on it went. He didn't seem to feel much if any pain at all. Maybe they just give better/more drugs in kids hospitals to quieten them up, lol.
            Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
            Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
            Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
            http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Will be saying prayers for you! Glad you are on the forum and are learning how to be prepared for the surgery and for the recovery. It really helped me--I am almost four months post op.
              Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
              Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
              Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
              Dr. Charles Edwards, II
              The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
              Before and after xrays:
              http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Hello Scoli friend,

My surgery is on January 9th (close Karen) having the same length fusion as you...good to have someone 'waiting in the wings' with me. We will be on the otherside before we know it!
                Spring
                42 yrs old
                Milwaukee braced 1983 to 1989
                was told my curves would never progress
                at 19yrs old 1991, T30-L38
                2010, T38-L56--progression in one year 2011, T40-L67
                new diagnosis-kyphoscoliosis, DDD, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, 73 degree Kyphosis
                Surgery 1-09-12....10 hrs all posterior T4-sacrum & 2 cages
                Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.
                Surgery to clean out infection 2-10-12
                Revision for broken rods 1-23-14

Comment

It is so nice to touch base with others at the same stage, but I know we have to remember that everyone heals at a different rate. You can get through the rough times together and the milestones, as well. What would we all do without this forum?
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                    It is so nice to touch base with others at the same stage, but I know we have to remember that everyone heals at a different rate. You can get through the rough times together and the milestones, as well. What would we all do without this forum?
                    I love the forum. But it is true , that we have to remember that we all heal at different rates. We will get to the end of the trip just at different rates
                    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

This forum is one of the best things to happen to me in 2011--not sure how I would have gotten the bravery to go through the surgery and to know what to prepare for on the other side of the surgery.

It is absolutely true that it does get better everyday.

Will be saying prayers and for Spring 72!
                      Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                      Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                      Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                      Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                      The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                      Before and after xrays:
                      http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you all soooo very much for your encouraging words re: upcoming surgery. The countdown continues -- tomorrow is 3 weeks! Got a call from the surgeon's office today to set up an appointment to pick up my brace and go in for sight-markings (whatever that is). Last evening was a tough time as I was struggling once again with waves of fears, but today I was filled with peace and didn't even lose it as I had to make that call to set up the appointment for Jan. 9, the day before my surgery! This last week has been rather tough as my husband fell off the ladder putting up our Christmas lights and has fractured his fibula and is in a boot --- thankfully, not a cast, at least not at this point. I have had a tough time dealing with his injury and thinking that in a few weeks that will be me, but much worse. It seems that all of us struggle with many fears and worries prior to surgery, fear of not knowing what it will really be like, how much pain we'll be in, will we be able to poop, etc. Yikes. Time to stop those fears NOW!

Once again, thanks so much for all your encouragements! Keep 'em coming!!!
                        Sheree
                        Diagnosed age 18 - told I was done growing and it wouldn't get any worse
                        Had two children
                        Back started hurting more around age 52
                        Saw Dr. Whitaker, KS Joint and Spine Institute, Jan. 2009 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 50
                        Saw Dr. Whitaker again Oct. 11 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 55
                        Fused T4-S1 with pelvic fixation and one cage Jan. 10, 2012 at Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, KS - age 55
                        Post-Op X-ray - Thoracic was 50 and Lumbar was 23
                        My Blog: www.shereeglanzer.blogspot.com

Comment

Hope all goes well. You will be in my prayers
                          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Hi Time

Welcome to the forum, its good that you have been reading.

Just in case, here is Linda’s list.

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

You don’t really have to buy too many items, just ask. I highly recommend a foam topper 2-4 inches thick for your bed, and 1-2 bottles of Magnesium Citrate just in case.

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                            X