Healing process or problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healing process or problem?

The last few days I have tried hard to sit up most of the day on the couch or in a chair ...just trying to not live life on the bed. Laying down for too long now makes my hips hurt. My left side ribs, hip and my low back are having some different sensations now. Above the left hip n my back gets to feeling like a sharp pain and I feel like my hip is going to not hold me up and the ribs feel like the throb with an occastional spasm. My low back on both sides feels more like a mild burning sensation. I know I'm moving more-not that I want to or feel like it but doing it anyway. Are these feelings normal? My back in general is starting to feel less numb except in spots, but still very little sensation. The left side also gets like an eye tick would be now in one spot. I've called my dr's office but he is out for the day but the assistant didn't seem concerned just said she would tell him and get back to me. What sensations should you expect to experience and what helps moving thru them?

Not any help from me but concern and prayers. Hope it's all part of the process but I'm praying for a speedy, thorough healing for you.
    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Hi Kayde!
      I know that those first weeks I didn't know what was normal and what wasn't. I was pretty scared about every little sensation. I had/have that burning sensation you are talking about. I did a search here on the forum about it and looked online. Everything pointed to nerve regeneration. It would be worse if I exerted myself later (8-14 weeks post op) but in those early weeks, I had it as a random sensation all over my back. I rarely have it now.

The tendency is to be concerned. I was too. I'm sure it's all normal but the sharp pain would be something I would definitely want to talk to the doctor about. Probably nothing, but still . . .

Hang in there!
      50 years old!!!!!
      Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
      Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
      Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
      Surgery 07/11/2011
      Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I don't have a clue, Kayde. But, in terms of your hip pain, I wanted to mention the possibility of trochanteric bursitis. My hips were so uncomfortable that I couldn't lay in bed comfortably for a long time after my surgery. When I finally got an injection, it was like a light switch in terms of turning off my pain.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

How did u find that

My right hip had a similar pain b4 surgery due to the nerves being pinched. Then after the surgery I had sharp pain on right side when I tried to climb stairs when I first got home. Very surprised that now left hip is being affected the same way. Linda how dud u discover that's what was wrong. Did the do MRI or just more x-rays. I'm just wondering if I should make an appointment to see Dr Moreno now instead of just waiting. Im still waiting for my orthofix.

Comment

Kayde,
            I don't recall if you had pelvic anchors? I had a sharp pain extending from the sacrum to the hip, just in 1 side from the anchor. In the first 2 months it was the worst, then slowly started improving. As far as the burning, which feels like a bad sunburn, yes, I still have that. It is nerve pain. I take a low dose of Neurontin at bed time, and that helps, along with Lidocaine patches, and ice. You will have all sorts of weird sensations, new aches and pains, as you heal. Each day is different, and at times very frustrating. I keep reminding myself to look back and recognize that I have made progress, albeit slowly, but progress non the less.
            Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
            T54/L72
            Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
            Gained 2 inches!
            Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
            12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
            Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Kayde,
              My left ribs ached and almost throbbed for several months and I was not comfortable laying on either side at night. Eventually, the pain left. It was the side with my rib hump so I thought that those ribs had been manipulated during surgery to get back to their proper place so that the left side is symetrical with the ribs on the other side. I probably bugged Dr. Lenke's nurse too often . . . but, I didn't hesitate to call whenever I had some ache that I was concerned about.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by Kayde View Post
                My right hip had a similar pain b4 surgery due to the nerves being pinched. Then after the surgery I had sharp pain on right side when I tried to climb stairs when I first got home. Very surprised that now left hip is being affected the same way. Linda how dud u discover that's what was wrong. Did the do MRI or just more x-rays. I'm just wondering if I should make an appointment to see Dr Moreno now instead of just waiting. Im still waiting for my orthofix.
                My physical therapist diagnosed it. I was having lunch with 3 of the surgeons I work with, and I mentioned it to them. They told me that TB is really common in patients with spine issues.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                X