Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 months, weight gain, and new job!

Hi guys!!

Just a quick progress report. For those of you behind me, being patient isn't just for in the beginning! After a couple months of feeling like I was on a plateau with little change, I feel like this last month has been better. I am much more active and don't feel quite so sluggish. I am still aware of the feeling of having had surgery, but not quite to the extent as I previously felt. I do find myself going about my day and realizing that I wasn't thinking about every move I made for small stretches of time. Still baby steps!

I am so anxious for my one year anniversary in January. I want to know that the fusion took and be turned loose on more activities. I wish I could bike more, but the off-road trails are snow covered now and probably will be from now on. I'm not much for road riding... My goal is to ski in January or February. Though slowly and cautiously-back to green runs! I am not in good shape anymore. I'm not BAD, but I have gained 12-15 pounds. I lost weight right after surgery due to no appetite with the pain meds. I was too thin before surgery, and I wanted to gain the lost weight back , plus a couple more....but I don't like where I am now. I have always been able to eat whatever I wanted (but healthy eating). And I ate a lot due to a high metabolism....or at least I THOUGHT that was what it was. Apparently is was my exercise level. This period of inactivity has NOT been my friend! I have weighed between 118-122 ever since high school over 30 years ago. Never fluctuated. Now I'm almost 140. And I don't eat very much. I really need to get back to my old activites..... You don't realize how much exercise plays a part in weight control until it is taken away!

After my work fiasco (where they wouldn't let me return because I couldn't lift 100 lbs, even though I had a crew and worked there successfully for over 22 years), I found a job much more to my liking. No more abusing my body. I start January 23rd as the office manager for a doctors office. I am so excited to do something more up my alley with details and organization. I shadowed the lady that is leaving and I really loved the people and atmosphere-so supportive and caring. There are two docs, an MD and a naturapath, and there are accupuncturist, nutritionists, massage therapists and counselers in the office. Such a positive feeling to the place. So different than the big corporation mentality. Change is scary, and I was hurt at first, but not being able to return to work may have been the best thing that could have happened to me.

I will report on my one year check up. It's not that far away!!! YAY!
    Jenee'-52
    Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
    Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
    I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
    9 hours
    T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
    Non-fusion
    Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Jenee,
    So glad you are doing so well and have found a good job more to your liking and physical abilities. Are you sure you have been cleared to skiing? That was one of the things I was told not too do because of the possibilities of other people crashing into you. Stay away from kids who can be out of control on the slopes.
    Take care, Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Jenee--
      That's wonderful about your progress and especially the new job! A door closed and a better one opened for you, it seems. Good luck with your continued recovery. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Congratulations, Jenee, on your new job and your successful recovery! So far, I have kept the 8 pounds I lost due to surgery from creeping back. I cannot exercise the same that I used to, but feel like I have suitable substitutes for now. I'm teaching more days, so that cuts into the amount of time I have to go to the Y and take water aerobics. I try to walk everyday. If the weather is not great outside and I don't have time to drive to the Y, I do one of Leslie Sancone's Walking DVD's. I feel like they give me a good overall body workout. Dr. Lenke's PT recommended them and she is really conservative. I don't even have permission from her to use a stationary bike, recumbent bike or the elliptical until I'm a year post op. (very soon! Yeah!) E-mail me if you want more information about the DVD's. I'm also using 5 pound weights while laying on my back & doing the Dead Bud exercises daily for the abs.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
          Jenee--
          That's wonderful about your progress and especially the new job! A door closed and a better one opened for you, it seems. Good luck with your continued recovery. Janet
          Exactly. I am at the point in my life where I don't get too stressed about things going bad b/c it seems as though things always have a way of working themselves out for the better. It's really amazing to see this happen over and over again.

You sound good Jenee!
          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Sally- Yeah, I am cleared to ski if all goes well at my one year check up. My doc owns Desert Orthopedics, and her and her colleagues treat the olympic skiers when they train here at Mt. Bachelor. She is also a skiier herself, so she knows what all it entails. Probably no more jumping off into bowls or hitting the moguls, at least for awhile. Even then, slowing down is better than not doing it at all!!! And yes, it is ALWAYS the other people you have to worry about! I tend to ski back areas, out of the way of the crowds. I'm pretty confident on my boards....

Karen- I'm jealous! My old job was so very physical, and I'm just not up to speed on exercising at that level. I REALLY have to get it in gear and do more than I am now. I never stop running around and doing projects, but it just isn't the same. I have to lose it by the time I start my new job so that I can wear my work slacks...comfortably! LOL
            Jenee'-52
            Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
            9 hours
            Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

Elisa took the words right out of my mouth!
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hey Jenee

Great news on the job! and of course the back. When I was up in October I could see that you were doing just fine and dandy.....

We will have to do some skiing!.....Let me know, we will have to trigger a few slides.

Can you make it to UCSF on Dec 3rd?
                I still need to register.....oops. That’s if Linda will have me:-)
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed, I'd probably cramp your style this year!!! I wouldn't want to hold you back. I figure after making adjustments and relearning my new balance, I should be good to go next year. But who knows? It may be a piece of cake. I won't have any problem keeping my weight downhill!!!!

I'm not going to make it to the conference. I wasn't crazy about driving alone, and didn't want to spend the money on airfare while I'm unemployed.... And no excuse for the fact that time got away from me! I have been busy persuing a job, then did a little job shadowing with person that is leaving to see if it was a good fit for both of us. Now I will start some training soon... Maybe next year will be better timing.
                  Jenee'-52
                  Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                  9 hours
                  Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

Working...
                  X