Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seeking advice - surgery in 1972

Hello everyone.
    I'm just about to turn 48. I had spinal fusion/Harrington Rod surgery nearly 33 years ago. I have lived with scoliosis since then in silence and never met anyone with scoliosis (at least
    as far as I know). By the time I was in my early 40s I had just about come to terms with the whole body image thing (just in time to start again with the middle aged man aging body thing).
    Although I don't have what I would call pain - I am nearly always uncomfortable. I often have numbness in one foot and sometimes one hand and lower back strain. Reading over this site in the last couple of days I am now aware that I probably have flat back syndrome. Is there anyone out there my age or older who may be able to shed light on what to expect? Anyone with hints on a good fitness regime that could help? I have spent the last 15 years walking on average 1 - 2 miles a day, and I used to do Yoga. I am reasonably fit. I may be worrying for no good reason but in isolation its hard not to. Thanks for reading this far.

Where to from here

[QUOTE=darrell]Hello everyone.
    I'm just about to turn 48. I had spinal fusion/Harrington Rod surgery nearly 33 years ago. I have lived with scoliosis since then in silence and never met anyone with scoliosis (at least
    as far as I know). By the time I was in my early 40s I had just about come to terms with the whole body image thing (just in time to start again with the middle aged man aging body thing).
    Although I don't have what I would call pain - I am nearly always uncomfortable. I often have numbness in one foot and sometimes one hand and lower back strain. Reading over this site in the last couple of days I am now aware that I probably have flat back syndrome. Is there anyone out there my age or older who may be able to shed light on what to expect? Anyone with hints on a good fitness regime that could help? I have spent the last 15 years walking on average 1 - 2 miles a day, and I used to do Yoga. I am reasonably fit. I may be worrying for no good reason but in isolation its hard not to. Thanks for reading this far.[/QUOTE=Mereana]It seems we have to keep active but not too active like running which causes jarring to our joints, your doing the right things in keeping active so I think you being uncomfortabe could be comimg from your posture how you sit? what you sit on? how you lie in bed? what kind of bed you have? height in furniture is a must? what do you lift? Is your weight light? what are normal movements are not normal for our scoliosis. Do you find certain muscles tense up? Relaxing and de-stressing are a must, a simple thing as a massage or hot soak. And always query how you feel no matter how trivial I thought my weak wrists and pain up my arms to my shoulders were associated to my scoliosis if I had'nt queried my physiotherapist I would have lost use of my hands due to carpal tunnel syndrome, I did'nt go to the GP because after a while they categorise you as the symptom being scoliosis related. I am glad I am able to find answers and share experiences on this site, makes isolation as a suffer less sufferable.

Comment

I am 46 and had surgery for scoliosis exactly 33 years ago when I was 13. I started having lower back and neck pain for the past 3-4 years. It has gotten so severe in the past year that I haven't been able to work. I just got the results of my cat scan (no MRI as I have metal hooks the dr thinks) and I have bone spurs on both sides of my neck and spinal stenosis and arthritis in my lower back. I am going next week to a pain management center where I will receive cortizone shots. I am really just stalling surgery.

Comment

Working...
      X