Breathing Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breathing Problems

HI, i'M A NEW SUBSCRIBER. I'VE WAS DIAGNOSED AT AGE 13, I AM NOW 49. I HAVE TROUBLE TAKING DEEP BREATHS, EXPECIALLY IN TIMES OF STRESS.
    MY DOCTOR LABELS IT AS STRESS, DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THESE PROBLEMS? i WORE A MILWAULKEE BRACE & GUESS MY CURVE IS AROUND 50 DEGREES.
    I HAVE DONE ROLFING, YOGA, CHIROPRATIC & MASSAGE. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
    AMY B.

breathing problems

I had the same thing.
    At first I thought stress might be the reason but I also had it while relaxed-walking on vacation. I never smoked, no asthma and I am normal weight.
    I started to feel panicky. I did many things to help my fitness: hiking and Pilates. I went to my family physician who did a stress test and pulmonary function. I thought my curve was 64 deg/that's what it measured 6 years before. My stress test showed lung constriction from scoliosis; pulmonary function was reduced by 30%. I decided to visit an adult scoliosis doctor. Who measured my curve at 80 deg! It had progressed that much in 6 years.

Last year(at age 60) I had an anterior-posterior revision. Despite the large incisions, my breathing is better than before the surgery-even though some lung function is reduced the first post-op year while healing. I am also much straighter and look a lot better. I went back to work 6 months after surgery.
    By the way I decided to see a scoliosis doctor on my own;my personal physicians were no help.

Karen
    Last edited by Karen Ocker; 11-20-2003, 07:12 PM.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hello Amy,
      There are two methods which I would recommend for breathing difficulties: Alexander Technique and Breathing Coordination. If you visit www.acatnyc.org you'll be able to find out some info on AT. There is an AT teacher who also teaches Breathing Coordination. She will be running a Breathing Coordination workshop in New York on Jan. 9 & 10, and if you email the people at ACATNYC they should be able to give you more information about that. To learn about Breathing Coordination you could visit www.breathingcoordination.com.

Good luck
      Joshua
      www.moving-living.com

Comment

Breathing problems here too!

Dear Amy,

Boy was I happy seeing ur message! Well, I too have breathing problems! I'm currently 20 yrs old and was also diagnosed with scoliosis at the of 14 and now its a 55 degree curve.. I also get the feeling that I am not able to take deep breaths . I dont think it has to do with stress..although it sometimes is a factor. However 50 degree curve could cause breathing problems due to the rib rotation. I aint no doc..but I just wanted u to know that ur not alone ! Oh and by the a physiotherapist once told me that a good way to really open up ur lungs is putting ur hands behind your head and push ur elbows backward..that way u kind of open up the rib cage..I always forget to do it..but it might be of some help..

Ur friend,
        Heba (20,F,Egypt)

Comment

Originally posted by AMY B. View Post
          HI, i'M A NEW SUBSCRIBER. I'VE WAS DIAGNOSED AT AGE 13, I AM NOW 49. I HAVE TROUBLE TAKING DEEP BREATHS, EXPECIALLY IN TIMES OF STRESS.
          MY DOCTOR LABELS IT AS STRESS, DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THESE PROBLEMS? i WORE A MILWAULKEE BRACE & GUESS MY CURVE IS AROUND 50 DEGREES.
          I HAVE DONE ROLFING, YOGA, CHIROPRATIC & MASSAGE. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
          you should learn the Schroth breathing and exercises. look for a physiotherapist who can teach you that.

Comment

Working...
          X