Back comfort at pm. in bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back comfort at pm. in bed

Anyone with ideas on supporting the back with scoliosis while in bed ?
    I have increasingly become uncomfortable while trying to get a nights sleep..tossing and turning.
    I saw a post somewhere about special mattress pads or cover..any experience with those??
    Thanks!

I used to put a pillow under the area that was causing me the most pain to increase support on that spot.. seemed to work great for me =P

Comment

I had same problem

Actually I still do have that problem ,but not as bad anymore. I used to toss and turn until sometimes 5-6 in the am.
      Now got prescription for 25mg amitrypilene,which I take a couple hours before bedtime and it makes me fall asleep faster.I'm not experiencing much for side affects from it.
      I also use heat pad under back,and heat blanket.I also hang on inversion table before going to bed.

Comment

You might want to try a memory foam mattress or mattress topper. Most people seem to find a firm mattress with a softer surface to be most comfortable.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

sometimes

When its really bad I find sleeping on the floor is more comfortable than a bed.I bought a brand new seally firm bed.Sometimes I sleep better on the floor.

Comment

Sometimes nightimes are the worst part of the day.Trying to find a comfortable position can be very hard,especially when your back is uneven.
            Sometimes I sleep on my back-with or without a pillow under my knees and sometimes I sleep on my side again with a pillow under or between my knees.
            For years I slept only on my left side but quite recently I wondered if it was having an effect on my scoliosis.I thought perhaps that sleeping on one side only was not a good thing and I should sleep on the right side too.In fact the left side I was sleeping on was not the side with the rib hump.I don't know whether this is making any difference .
            Does anyone out there think that sleeping on both sides might be helpful? I have to admit that I did have some pain on my right side as a result of changing the way I sleep.

Comment

I have T11 to L3 fused and used to have a lot of problems with putting my neck and upper back out during sleeping and having a stiff back in the morning. I used to have a very firm mattress.

I have since bought the most supportive mattress with a soft top my husband and I could find and this has been a great help. I use one other pillow between my knees if I am on my side to level the pelvis. I also find that if I can avoid sleeping flat on my stomach, it improves my nights sleep. I do this by putting a pillow long-ways down my torso. The night is the best time for me and takes away the pain from the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny Spencer View Post
                Sometimes nightimes are the worst part of the day.Trying to find a comfortable position can be very hard,especially when your back is uneven.
                Sometimes I sleep on my back-with or without a pillow under my knees and sometimes I sleep on my side again with a pillow under or between my knees.
                For years I slept only on my left side but quite recently I wondered if it was having an effect on my scoliosis.I thought perhaps that sleeping on one side only was not a good thing and I should sleep on the right side too.In fact the left side I was sleeping on was not the side with the rib hump.I don't know whether this is making any difference .
                Does anyone out there think that sleeping on both sides might be helpful? I have to admit that I did have some pain on my right side as a result of changing the way I sleep.
                I sleep on memory foam which helps a lot.
                I used to sleep on my curve side years ago with no problems but now I cant sleep on the curve as it causes pins and needles in my arm.
                I cant sleep on the other side for long as I feel the curve side cant stretch.
                I end up sleeping on my back but always wake with a very stiff back.
                stretching when I wake usually helps.
                Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

I always sleep with a fluffy pillow directly under my back.
                  TIMING IS EVERYTHING!

Comment

Working...
                  X