What is the average hospital stay and use of a walker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the average hospital stay and use of a walker

How long is the average hospital stay? I assume everyone takes oral pain meds or is that in your iv? I also assume everyone had a catheter and used a walker. I believe that I will only be fused to L1 unless something changes. See dr Moreno Friday. Any last ?'s anyone can think of they wished they had asked but didn't. Making my final list of things. Dr had an icv filter put in because of the length of surgery and won't be as active-idk what to expect so much. Except if they don't plan on knocking me out idk that I can stand them to remove that filter out of my neck that may be a perm insertion. I was hoping by day three I could be up and walking around. And did anyone have to wear a brace? If so for how long? I don't do so well with those. Sorry for all the ?'s but I guess the closer it gets the more anxiety I seem to have. Just hope I am doing the right thing.

I'll try my best to answer your questions, here we go.

Average hospital stay is roughly 7 days, some get out in 4-5 and some take longer up to 10-12 days, but again, average is 7 days. Most people take meds for the first few days through the IV, some people do the transfer to oral pain meds at the end of their hospital stay like me, others do it when they are discharged. Usually yes, people get a catheter inserted to their bladder so you don't have to get up to go to the bathroom. Walkers are helpful the first few days, but after you're discharged, it's not something you need, it's up to you whether to have one or not.

Regarding braces, some doctors I've talked to said wearing a soft brace after surgery would help, but not necessary. It's all up to surgeon preference, ask your surgeon. I'll be wearing a soft brace to support my back after my revisionals. The hard brace is annoying, but the soft corset brace is very easy to use and it really does help support your back, at least it does for me.

It's normal to be anxious about a coming up surgery, and asking many questions, that's normal. If you feel confident with your doctor, and did your own research and agree with everything your surgeon says, then just relax and just wait for your day to come. Good luck, and if you have anymore questions, I'm sure many of us on here would be willing to help.
    Last edited by JDM555; 10-13-2011, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Regarding the brace, it is really up to your surgeon. All of my surgeries I had different braces to wear. That is a question to ask your surgeon
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Hi Kayde,

I stayed in the hospital for 5 days (T8-sacrum). I used a walker at home for the first day or maybe two for balance, but after that was fine without.

My doc had me wear a soft brace for 3 months, I hate braces too, but this one was comfortable and easy to wear. I wore it over my clothes and got some looks out in public, but not too bad! It really helped support my back for awhile, and I was sore for about two weeks after I got out of it. This is a great question for your doctor, however, as there is a lot of variation.
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

In contrast to others here, I was in hospital 19 days. <red face>

When the medication was working, I had no pain, but when it wasn't I needed morphine injections to bring it down so they wouldn't let me home until I no longer needed the injections. I thought I was never going to get home. My pain miraculously disappeared after I came home.

I woke up after surgery with 2 epidurals so felt no pain for the 4 days I had the epidurals. Then oral meds.

I didn't have a brace.

I was sat up the day after surgery but felt faint and so I didn't actually stand up until the next day (day 3) when I used a walker for the one and only time.

They took my catheter out Day 3 or 4. After that I was able to shower without help.

I hope you have an excellent outcome!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Kayde!
            I was in the hospital for 5 days. I was sitting up by day 3 and standing up day 4. My surgery was 6 hours although they prepared me for 7-8. I used the walker for two days in the hospital and for five minutes when I got home. I did use the walker when someone took me to the store b/c I was terrified someone would bump in to me. The walker and my pitiful expression kept everyone far away. I couldn't sit in the car until about three weeks post surgery and then little by little I was able to sit for longer periods of time. I am just over three months post op now and drove 3 hours out of town over the weekend.

I was off narcotics by six weeks and started driving at that point as well. I am now off all pain meds. I have the thoracic tightness and nerves burning and stinging.

just remember, everyone is different in their recovery. I am typically a fast healer so my recovery is probably better than a lot of others. I was lucky in that I was gone for a month on vacation and came back a week before my surgery so I didn't have much time to think about it.

Best of luck and try not to make yourself too crazy ^.^
            50 years old!!!!!
            Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
            Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
            Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
            Surgery 07/11/2011
            Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Do hospitals provide patients with walkers for when they leave the hospital?

Warmly,
              Doreen
              Last edited by Doreen1; 10-13-2011, 11:08 AM.
              44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
              Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
              2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post

Warmly,
                Doreen
                I had a choice of a cane or a walker after both surgeries. I did not take the walker.
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I was in the hospital for 7 days.
                  And did anyone have to wear a brace? I didn't have to wear a brce after surgery
                  Kara
                  Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                  Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                  T4-L2
                  Before 50T
                  After 20T

Comment

Most likely cause you were young, and your surgery wasn't that severe. Braces are used in older patients, or severe surgeries where you need the support, or just surgeon preference. I didn't wear a brace my first surgery either.

Comment

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post

Warmly,
                      Doreen
                      My hospital did not. I had to purchase my own.
                      50 years old!!!!!
                      Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                      Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                      Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                      Surgery 07/11/2011
                      Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Originally posted by Marina63 View Post
                        My hospital did not. I had to purchase my own.
                        You didn't use yours much, did you? Perhaps I can borrow yours :-) I have not forgotten about planning a lunch date.

Warmly,
                        Doreen
                        44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                        Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                        2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kayde View Post
                          How long is the average hospital stay? I assume everyone takes oral pain meds or is that in your iv? I also assume everyone had a catheter and used a walker. I believe that I will only be fused to L1 unless something changes. See dr Moreno Friday. Any last ?'s anyone can think of they wished they had asked but didn't. Making my final list of things. Dr had an icv filter put in because of the length of surgery and won't be as active-idk what to expect so much. Except if they don't plan on knocking me out idk that I can stand them to remove that filter out of my neck that may be a perm insertion. I was hoping by day three I could be up and walking around. And did anyone have to wear a brace? If so for how long? I don't do so well with those. Sorry for all the ?'s but I guess the closer it gets the more anxiety I seem to have. Just hope I am doing the right thing.
                          Hi...

I think it depends on whether you're having everything done in one stage. At UCSF, the average long fusion patient stays 5 days for 1 day surgeries, and about 10 days for surgeries that are staged.

You will definitely have a catheter. It will probably be removed as soon as you get ambulatory. I think everyone also gets a walker. Some patients are able to leave the hospital without a walker, while others use a walker for months or years afterward. It really depends on your stability.

I don't think the IVF can be permanent, so you should look forward to having it removed. I don't remember ever hearing anyone talk about what removal was like. THIS makes it sound like they'll put you out for its removal. For some reason Dr. Moreno always seems to use them on his deformity patients, but I've never heard of another doctor who does it routinely. I bet he had a big complication some years ago, and just doesn't want to take any chances.
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was in the hospital for 11 days... my surgery had been a full 8 hours and included a few extra procedures. I did not ever have a walker, but had a cane that was used only to help me go up and down stairs. I used to take it out with me as a "prop" later on when I was going to be in a crowded place so people wouldn't crowd around me... I did have a brace-- they molded one for me in the hospital. It was one of those hard TLSO ones. I wore it for 5 months. My surgeon didn't usually brace his patients but felt I needed one. I was also on narcotics for 5 months. Everyone is different in their healing, so just go with how your body reacts to your surgery. The one most important thing to remember is that you'll get through it. And soon it will all be behind you. Oh-- and they had me sitting up right away- I think on the 2nd day. And walking right away. Best wishes!
                            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

10 days, but they wanted to keep me. I was tired of playing Doctor:-) I only remember the last 4 days.

I didn’t want anyone to come down while I was in ICU, but they came and I heard about it later. I guess I was standing next to my bed, with many hoses hooked up, and when asked what I was doing, I replied, “I’m going down town, to play poker”.

I pretty much lost a week and don’t remember much while in ICU. When I woke, I was tied down because I was pulling hoses.

Here is a pic of me in the hospital.....and a pic of my “full” scoliosis brace.
                              Ed
                              Attached Files
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X