Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scoliosis and screening

Hello from no sleep in California,
    I was previously a health assistant which is basically a nurse in the junour and high school level. My Mother is one of the head nurses for the district and her and two other nurses do scoliosis screeenings on all 7th graders. Ther parents can write a note stating they don't want their child to have this as some are very modest. I skipped p.e. a lot in 7th grade, otherwise mine would have been caught in time to wear a brace. My parents never took me back after my initial visit to the orthopedic doctor who said to come back every 3 months
    I had an unusual growth spurt from 7-8th grade and I wonder if it has anything to do with my scoliosis. No one in my family has this condition.
    My Mother has guilt over this and makes sure she checks everyone and if she gets a note from home she calls and talks the parent into having the child checked. She said this last year she had a lot of referals to orthopedic doctors.
    I plan to go into school nursing and I know this will be one of my pet peaves.
    Children need to have regular check ups with a pediatrician who takes more than 5 minutes. Don't be afraid to call and bug them with questions. After my experience, I think it is important to have regular check ups with your pre-adolescents as they are often busy with sports and social issues and they don't like going to the doctor.

Hope this will answer some screening issues
    Last edited by bse4; 01-01-2005, 06:02 AM.
Working...
X