6 week check up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 week check up

Well I'm 6 weeks out and saw Dr Cree with my latest X-ray. I didn't bother asking the new cobb angle because my spine actually now looks straight. (55 deg fused T9 to L3). He said i got the correction of a teenager. Feeling a little superior I asked "ïs that because my spine was flexible" and he responded "no that's why I'm grey". Feeling better day by day but the fatigue is still getting to me, I'm needing a lay down and a day nap about every second day. I'm looking forward to getting my mojo back. I start work full-time on Mon, a bit of a worry but it is a cushy sit down job with a lot of down time and there is provisions for me to have a couple of lay downs through the day. The getting up and staying all day will be the hard part. Still a bit tender on my right side, that was previously concave and around the back is still quite numb on that side but improving. My family are raving about the improvement in my appearance and Dr Cree called me hottie! Yay, I'll take it where I can at 49 yrs. In fact even with the scar I think in 12 months I'll still wear a bikini because I've now got nice hips again...I was becoming self conscious because there seemed to be a rapid deteriotion in the past 18 months. It's funny how I began to gravitate to baggy clothes. I think I had the op at the right time for me. Take care everyone.
    Kelly
    Progress 1 hr Nth of Sydney, Australia
    49 yrs
    55 deg thorocolumbar
    Fused T9 to L3, Aug 11th 2011

Great news Kelly!

Glad you are progressing well. I liked the comment about the contributing factor to how straight the doctor got you....how funny!

Best wishes.....I am two weeks behind you and just had my one month checkup.
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

that great kelly
      about what your doctor said that funny
      Kara
      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
      T4-L2
      Before 50T
      After 20T

Comment

Great news Kelly.

If you find the days too long, back at work, can you ease back to part time? Can you take a couple of short walks during the day? It's great that you can lie down during the day, I think at 6 weeks out, that's still important if you're doing a lot of sitting. I was still sleeping a couple of hours every day at that point but I'm a bit longer in the tooth than you are.

Congratulations on your brilliant recovery! And so glad you're enjoying your new shape!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks

Yes, I will have to try and go for a couple of walks through the day. I must admit I was good with the walking when I first got home from hospital but I am starting to slacken off. I'm hoping being at work doesn't make me emotionally exhausted because that can be a downhill spiral. I'm hoping to stick to full-time but if it gets too much who knows. This operation has cost me $9,000 at least out of pocket with top health cover so I don't want to get too far behind but I know my long term health is the most important thing. I start work tomorrow and I'm feeling a bit flat but I've had some family issues as well. After this surgery we really don't need dramas do we because of the increased sense of vulnerability. Oh well I'll keep my fingers crossed but wish I wasn't feeling so lonely right now.
          Kelly
          Progress 1 hr Nth of Sydney, Australia
          49 yrs
          55 deg thorocolumbar
          Fused T9 to L3, Aug 11th 2011

Comment

Kelly,
            Isn't nice to have a straight back? I am older that you and always went at a fast and furious pace, but took afternoon naps for the first time in my life for many months after surgery. I actually looked forward to the down time. Since I am retired, I was fortunate not to have the pressure of returning to work. Take it easy on you body and listen to it. Keep up with the walking because I think that is recommended by all of our surgeons. Good luck on returning to work.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Sorry to hear you're feeling flat the day before returning to work. I hope that once you get there, you get a big welcome back which should help.

Walking is very important, you're still in the early stages of healing, and walking is great for circulation and so many other things, including lifting the spirits (that feeling of well-being.) I still walk over 2.5 years out.

Let us know how you go once back in the rat-race!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I cannot imagine being able to go back to work at 6 weeks
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
                X