Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgeons in Ann Arbor, MI

Hi everyone,
    I have an acquaintance whose 21 year old daughter needs spinal fusion surgery. Because of insurance she needs to have it done in Michigan. Can anyone recommend a reputable surgeon in Ann Arbor? She was given some names from the University of Michigan but doesn't know anything about anyone. If anyone has info I would appreciate the help! Thank you.

One of my horseback riding students had her surgery done by Dr. Hensinger at U of M, as did another young rider I know.
    Both girls had great results. Not sure if he does older patients or not though.

I had mine done by Dr. Herkowitz at Beaumont Orthopaedic in Royal Oak. He did great work.
    Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
    Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
    Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
    Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
    February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
    September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Dr. Fran Farley is in Ann Arbor and she is wonderful. Her research is in congenital scoliosis cases and other complicated scoliosis issues. I know at least one of her patients and they are very pleased with the results of the scoliosis surgery. She also does limb lengthening surgeries. She must be multi-talented.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

I have a daughter who has congential scoliosis and she is 19 months old. We live in Michigan and she is going to have surgery with Dr. Robert Hensinger, we also may use Dr. Fran Farley. Dr. Hensinger is suppose to retire and not sure when. They are both highly recommended and U of Mott Childrens Hospital is ranked 5 th in the country. We asked around and we know a few people in the medical field and they wouldn't take their kids anywhere except U of M Mott. We are also going through a rough time. Hannah is going to have a brace on the 25th. Her curve is 60 degrees and Dr. Hensinger wants her in a brace to slow down her progression because he doesn't want to operate on her until she is at least 2 years of age.
        Does any one have any suggestions as to what we should prepare ourselves for when she gets her brace and also any suggestions as to what to do to prepare her for surgery.
        Any books I can read up on, questions to ask, etc.
        It would be greatly appreciated.
        Thank you so much

Comment

Hi smedina1! I have a 15 year old son who has had four major surgeries (none of them related to his scoliosis/kyphosis - yet!) His first surgery was at age 4 . . he had just turned four. I think at any young age it is important to . . .
          1. take advantage of any tours or orientation visits they offer in advance of the surgery to actually see the rooms you will be going to
          2. we read every kids book we could find . . .some in very simple language about going to the hospital
          3. I took a camera with me and we took photos of doctors/nurses/rooms and I brought home sample masks, tongue depressors, what have you and we made our own book/scrapbook to read and re-read over the months following his surgery.

I think all of these will help you and your child prepare and also make sense of it after all is said and done. It will hopefully remove some of the fear and mystery your child will feel in a strange and different place.

Also take advantage of the child life department at the hospital. They are there to help you and your child.

It didn't get any easier with subsequent surgeries . . actually as he got older it got harder. For the first 2 surgeries he had no real fear . . but for 3 and 4 he did. By surgery 3 he was aware the surgery can have really bad outcomes and asked us about that. I much prefered the procedures when he was too little to fully comprehend the risks. But we made it through all of them anyhow and I do think the preparation and the scrapbook/book we made about his first experience helped him a lot.

Comment

Thank you so much Joe's mom. I really appreciate all of the advice.
            I will ask to have a tour done at the hospital and I love the scrapbooking idea. I'm not sure how much she will understand. She's 19 months old. But I love the tips.
            Thanks again.
            I'm also glad to hear that your son is doing well. I know how difficult all of this is.
            I love how one can go to other people who have gone through similar situations.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the information. I really appreciate it. Good Luck to all of you. Smedina1: I can only imagine how difficult this must be for you having such a young child going through this. Keep positive and know many thoughts and prayers are sent your way.

Comment

Your welcome Peggy. If I can help in any way just haller.
                We take one step at a time and these websites and all the wonderful people out there who take the time to help is just priceless.
                Thank all of you so much

Comment

Working...
                X