Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 Days post op.

Hi, Its Kelly's daughter Eliza here.
    She is still in hospital and asked if I can log on and write this for her.
    So she was supposed to come home Wednesday/Thursday after her operation the Thursday before that. It's now Saturday and she isn't expected to return home until Monday.
    She has been off all pain medication for two days. She has hardly complained about back pain , and I've seen her back (Super straight and hot!!! wooo) as she's received a sponge bath or in the first few times she stood up and sat down for half an hour at a time- pretty solid effort (She's a trooper). The doctor said the surgery went very very well and Mum even remembers that her first impression of him post op was excited... so all is well in the land of the back (her hips are even and no humpback any more and her torso looks like a long rectangle instead of a square- yippee! Hello again to the inches she lost over the last few years.
    So the problem with her recovery- the one thing that has made her recovery uncomfortable, and at many times unbearable, is her bowel obstruction. First time i saw her, the day after the surgery, she looked pregnant! And mum is petite- both short and slim, so it was very noticeable! The day after the surgery she ate some jelly and there was no problem there but shortly after she was classifies as a 'nil by mouth' patient to try to get the bowel moving. If I remember correctly she didn't fart for the first 4 days.. You could see the frustration in her eyes. (You also should have seen us all jump for joy and laugh and cry and take a step back as the first two little air pockets escaped into the small room).
    She had an enema and tends to have a few swings of being comfortable and uncomfortable a day. None she says are her back- but she said its a little stiff and uncomfortable when she walks to the toilet etc. But laying and sitting are comfortable, and she can notice the hip in the right spot (which feels a little weird at the moment she said). Also the first few days she said (she hasn't mentioned it since).. that her breathing was easier. Before the operation she felt like every time she took a deep breath the would have to breathe past a barrier in the last quarter of the breath, but now its very easy and deep.. We think thats because the ribs and lungs are better located from the correction.
    So now mum hasn't farted for 24 hours and she's getting discouraged again.
    She was wondering if anyone else has had the problem with the bowel movement? how long it lasted? Any things you noticed that helped or things to avoid?
    She's a trooper and you'll easily getting her laughing at one thing or another, even her own misfortune.. but she did mention to say its been hell.

Thanks everyone!
    Progress 1 hr Nth of Sydney, Australia
    49 yrs
    55 deg thorocolumbar
    Fused T9 to L3, Aug 11th 2011

eliza that for a update on your mom
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

Yes, yes yes yes and yes (chorus from the forum!)

Most of us had bowel problems for the first couple of weeks. I didn't have a bowel movement for 9 days and thought I was going to explode. They tried everything, including 2 enemas.

My friend brought into the hospital some stuff she bought over the counter at the chemist, it's got figs etc. in it. I didn't read the instructions, just munched on it and three hours later I damn near exploded! But it was a good explosion. Cleaned me out of at least a week's food intake and after that the problem resolved itself.

Tell her that it's normal, it won't last forever and that I'm thrilled for her that her surgery's gone so well, and that she's off pain-killers already! Since it's the pain-killers that seem to cause the problem, she's not likely to have it for much longer. Best of luck to her. I've been thinking about her and wondering how she was. Thanks so much for letting us know. Hope we will get updates as well!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

What a great update -- thanks! Yes, the constipation is really bad for everyone at first. A couple of suppositories (ugh) did the trick for me until I started taking Miralax (it's probably called something different where you are -- it's a white tasteless powder) on a regular basis. I'm extremely impressed that she's off pain-killers.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

It sounds like Kelly's surgery went well. I think most of us had bowel issues and the pregnant look. I always said that for the first month, my abdomen pain was the only pain I remember. Maybe it just overshadowed any back pain that I might have had. I hope she gets some relief soon.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I agree 100% with Karen and I too am glad that Kelly's surgery went well! I am approaching 6 weeks post op and my constipation issues have
            resolved. I started a supplement Casacara Sagrada, twice a day for a couple of weeks now once a day to ward off any constipation issues. I
            also did the Miralax treatment until things normalized. Good luck and be sure to write with any other questions-this forum is a LIFE SAVER!
            Nan
            Thorocolumbar 55Degrees
            Surgery July 12th, 2011
            University of Utah
            T-10 - L5 all posterior
            53y/o

Comment

So..... mum did a POO this afternoon!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! She may be home tomorrow and I'm sure she'll get on the forum ASAP! Thanks everyone for the support! She was stoked to hear from you all. <3
              Progress 1 hr Nth of Sydney, Australia
              49 yrs
              55 deg thorocolumbar
              Fused T9 to L3, Aug 11th 2011

Comment

Congratulations Kelly! It's a milestone, no doubt about it. Amazing how we can discuss these things with such candour with total strangers once we've been through this experience!

I believe your Mum is having a miraculous recovery. Please tell her to take it easy, she has a long way to go and she doesn't need any setbacks. I'm happy for her!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by progress View Post
                  So..... mum did a POO this afternoon!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
                  Post of the month.

We have all had our whoooo's at some point, especially those with stubborn ileus's.

Congrats
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment