5 months post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 months post-op

I am 5 months post-op. I'm doing really well. All my swimming (im a swimmer) restrictions come off Jan.1st. I;m very excited. I'm not wearing my brace anymore. Looking back on the sugery I am very happy to have had it. The reason that I decided to post today is because of a shopping trip I took. It is tradition for my mother and I to go shopping the day after Christmas. This was the fist extended trip to the mall I have taken ssince before my surgery. About three trips around the mall, my feet started to hurt (as would anyone's). I then realized that my back was not hurting at all. We were at the mall for about4 hrs. and no back pain. It made me very happy because I was finally feeling the positive effects of the surgery. Thank you all for your support.

swimming

Hi Annie!
    Great news! You'r a swimmer?! You said how "all your restrictions on swimming have been lifted." Do you mean now you can do flip turns, diving and everything else. Or it means you've finally been able to just swim again? I'm quite curious because my daughter's been swimming since she was 5 weeks post-of, but of course, only just swimming. Thanks Anne!

Comment

That is great Annie! Hope you continue to do well!
      ~*Lauren*~
      Braced for 5 months
      Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
      Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
      Surgery on April 26th 2005
      Fused from T3-L4
      Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

That would feel exciting and kind of satisfying :-) to know that your moving on, in the right direction.

I don't mean to interrupt or answer a question aimed at someone else (whoops) but I hope I can offer a good answer as well.

This is a bit off an "off topic", but I remember watching the Olympics earlier this year and they mentioned one of the swimmers in the Olympics (I can't remember her name or what country) had, had spinal fusion surgery for scoliosis which I thought was really cool.

Just my 2 cents of swimming 5 months was where my Doc lifted a lot of swimming restrictions too. At first I could only manage some backstroke and some modified freestyle and breast-stroke.It was a long a labourious process and like I had to teach myself to swim again. But as movememnt in my neck got better I could do freestyle normally and at about a year I started normal breastroke.

Against my docs wishes (he still doesn't know to this day) I attempted butterfly at about a year and a half post op. It was slow and looked a bit strange but I could manage it and did some every now and then. Butterfly sorta works but not quite, cause (I've been told) I look more straight backed when i do butterfly than "normal" people.

I can dive pretty normally and do breast-stroke turns but I haven't managed a freestyle turn in 5 years since operation. I think its because my fusions in the bit of your back where you need to curl into a ball to do the flip turn and I simply can't do it tight enough because I can't bend :-). If your fusion in the middlish bit of your back ie about T5 to about T12 ish you'd probably be able to get "curled up" enough. If your fusion goes high (ie T1/T2) or quite low (down past about L1/L2) you'd probably not be able to.

I think what you can/can't manage swimming wise post op works in your favour if you have competitive swum beforehand. As you know the "mechanics" behind how to do stroke and have the swimming fitness behind you.

Alison
        Last edited by Alison; 12-31-2004, 01:46 AM.

Comment

I don't think I will ever be able to do flip turns again. Which would seem like death to a swimmer. I also play water polo. We are just in the swim season right now. I am not a fan of swimming, but it is a requirement for all waterpolo players. I love the meets but not the practice for swimming. Polo starts up again in March, so I am looking forward to it. Swimming is just what polo players do in the offseason to get better. I do swim breaststroke, so the whole flip turn thing wont be a problem. The diving could be an issue. I can get in the diving position right now, but the throwing my self forward and swinging might be a problem....

I also had a question.

My family goes skiing 2-3 times a year. We couldnt go this Christmas because of my back, but we are not sure about spring break. Our spring break is in early March. Does any one know about the skiing restrictions. I have been skiing all my life so the falling is minimal. Also, the Jr. and Sr. girls at my school always have a powder puff (flag) football game, at the end of Feb. I really want to play in it, but my mother thinks I shouldnt, however she thinks skiing will be ok. I have no idea. So if anyone has any suggestions about this it would be appreciated. Thanks!
          Much Love. Annie

Comment

I tried looking through your other posts to see when you had your surgery and how far down your fusion went but I couldn't find it.

If I can work it out maths wise, March would be when you'd be eight months post op. With fusions not being fully fused until at least a year, thats probably a little bit early to go Sking. We don't get snow in Australia, but I have read on boards of people who skied before fusions, who took up skiing again after surgery and seemed to go ok. One thing you might have to think about is
            relearning how to fall correctly in a way that wouldn't jar your spine (if you were to fall).

I can't really offer any suggestions about the flag football game as I'm not 100 percent sure what it is. But someone will sure be able to give you some advice.

Trying to dive again is scary, trust me I've been there :-). I wouldn't try the swinging arm bits and diving in until at least after a year. Try and play around with diffrent ways to stand on the starting block. Standing with your feet together I found was too hard but if in a more "racing style" (ie legs separate in a "starting postion" worked ok) and not pulling back quite as far on the blocks, more of "falling in". Perhaps begin diving kneeling down (during practices and stuff) and then work up from there to normal diving on blocks. If your fusion goes right down into the lumbar region (ie L2 and below) diving might always be a problem. Could you perhaps get dispensation 'cause of your back to start races in the water and holding onto the side. You don't quite get as good a start in the race, but you do catch up

Best wishes

Alison

Comment

Just like Aliso said it still might be a bit to early to ski because if the fusion isn't stable by then and you happened to fall it damage the fusion.

I am not sure about flag football. Because again if you happended to fall that would cause problems but I am not quite sure about that.
              ~*Lauren*~
              Braced for 5 months
              Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
              Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
              Surgery on April 26th 2005
              Fused from T3-L4
              Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

Annie, I assume you had a Spinal Fusion... I'm not sure if there are new techniques or anything.. but when I was 15, I had an Anterior Spinal Fusion of T5 through T11.. 1 rib removed..
                Prior to the surgery I had an "S" curve 63 on the upper, 69 on the lower, with a 12% twist. I didn't get a brace though.. so I'm sure it was a different procedure then mine.. I had "Keneda Rods" I think is what they were called..

You mentioned you don't think you'll ever be able to do flip turns again.. well.. I can, just fine.. I doubt you'll have any problem with it either.. eventually.. I can even do fly still, which would be more of a problem then flipturns.. As far as skiing.. I'm not sure.. I think you would be able too.. I really don't remember exactly how long it took for me to feel like my normal self.. I do know.. that within a year & a half I hardly bothered me.. Now.. 8 years later, I actually forget I have screws & rods back there anymore..
                I think, for the most part, after the pain went away, my biggest issue was balance.. it takes a while to get used to that.. but anyway..

Good luck to you!

--Brian

Comment

hi brian
                  thanks for posting a sucess story. It is good to hear from people who had the surgery a few years ago and are doing well. My daughter just had surgery nov 4th and is doing very good.

jennifer

Comment

My pleasure

After the surgery, in time there really isn't much you can't do.. I still have almost full mobility in my back because the fusion was upper only.. I can still touch my toes.... I don't feel handicaped in any way.. I LOVE the scar tho hehe.. I tell people I was attacked by a shark.. & they believe it.. Because mine was an Anterior fusion.. I have a scar that starts from the base of my neck, & stretches to just above & to the right of my naval.. I have what looks like a bullet wound on my right side from the chest tube... because they had to collapse my right lung during the operation.. anyway.. yea I've made up a great story for it.. & people buy it hehe!
                    I've been skydiving, off-roading etc since the surgery.. I got my Private Pilots Licence, Multi & IFR ratings.. And am doing Aerobatics now.. I often exceed 5 G's in an Extra 300, that dosen't bother me at all..

It just takes time & everything comes back to normal..

Also.. if you are curious at all who my surgeon was.. Dr. John C. Brown, at Hoag Hospital.. I know he was the president of the SRS at the time I had my surgery.. I don't think he is anymore tho..

Doing well after only 1 month! That's good to hear! I actually had some complications post-op.. I caught pneumonia during the surgery, so because of the fact that I had a collapsed lung, I was unable to breathe on my own for just under 2 months.. I spent 4 months in the hospital, 2 of which were in ICU.

--Brian

Comment

hi brian
                      sorry to hear you had some complications post op, i hear pneumonia is common with anterior surgery. Well at least everything worked out for you and it makes me feel good to hear about how you are doing now. I think i read too much. I went on the revision board and you hear all these horrible stories about later on things breaking and all their problems years after surgery. You made my day with a good story!! My daughter is now just about 2 months post op and doing so great that it amazes me. Yesterday she went to the mall with her friends and was there all day. She was fine i was a wreck. Thanks again for sharing your story.
                      jennifer

Comment

Jennifer, that's awesome about your daughter. I am so happy for you and her that she is doing so well! We met with Dr. Boachie yesterday, and we absolutely loved him. We're probably going to to talk to one or two other doctors just for a different perspective, but we're 99.9% sure we're going to go with him. What a wonderful man! He thinks we'll be able to get her to around 15 degrees (her major curve is 60 now). He says he'll be able to do the sugery in one procedure using an anterior approach, will use her ribs for the bone material, and will need to fuse T11 to L3 which is less than we thought it would be. I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted!

Annie, we asked the doc about skiing, and he said at least one year before skiing. I would guess the same for flag football.

Susanna
                        Susanna
                        ~~~~~~
                        Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

I would definately see a few other doctors first.. I saw 4 before I went with Dr. John C. Brown... One of which was Dr. Mudiam.
                          Although Brown was the first Dr. I went too.. I still wanted more opinions =P

I had an "S" Curve of 63 & 69 degrees, with a 12% twist. Mudiam wanted to fuse 12 Vertibrae using Harrington Rods, I don't remember which ones, but it was to extend to my lower back...
                          Dr. Brown thought he could fuse the upper only and the lower should correct itself for the upper, so I only have 6 fused with Keneda Rods (I was among the first to use Keneda Rods). and it worked great.. my curvature is now 5 & 7 degrees. Which is actually less then what Dr. Mudiam expected with 12 fused.

My point is.. Get more opinions.. If I had stuck with Mudiam in the first place, which I almost did.. I wouldn't have nearly the ammount of mobility I do now.

I'm not sure where you're located... but Dr. Brown is at Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach, CA.

--Brian
                          Last edited by Birdman; 01-01-2005, 03:16 PM.

Comment

hi susanna
                            i'm so glad to hear your appointment went really good and i'm glad you liked him. I was waiting to hear from you! Did you read that post that someone just wrote about dr. boachie how he did surgery on her husband and she raved about him too. It makes me feel so good to hear such great things about him and i feel that i definitely made the right decision on using him. Nicole is doing so great she was at the mall the other day with her friends for 5 1/2 hours and said she felt fine! I am just amazed on how well she is doing! What did you think of his staff? I'm sure you're glad that things are starting to move along now. Are you seeing neuwirth anytime soon?

Jennifer

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

I am nixing Neuwirth. I've been lukewarm on him from the start, despite his national reputation. I will still see two more docs just to get perspective. I loved Boachie's staff. Very caring and anxious to help. Also, very positive about their wonderful boss. I read that post from the woman who's husband was operated on by Boachie. Probably the 50th positive post I've read abput Boachie!

Hi Brian, Thanks for the advice. Boachie is actually our third opinion. The other two doctors were in our home town in Baltimore, MD. We didn't feel 100% comfortable with either doc, so we started doing major research, and ended up with this guy Boachie in NYC. You are so right! Never settle wth one opinion! I keep a list of National scoliosis doctors, and will add Doc Brown to the list.

Susanna
                              Susanna
                              ~~~~~~
                              Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Working...
                              X