Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• canasta`s surgery is done

Hi everyone.
    Iam writing you from a cybercafe in Madrid (Spain).
    The surgery of my daughter was done november 23th.
    She had anterior and posterior surgery in the same day.
    6 1/2 hours operation.
    She had 2 boold transfusions in the next days.
    She spent 11 days at the hospital and yesteday got the staples removed.
    Tommorrow we are traveling home.
    Everything is going great (with all the surgery means).
    Thank you everybody for your help and support.
    Read you in a couple of days.
    If you have any question, don`t hesitage.
    by.

Thanks for the update. I'm happy to hear the surgery went well and she is on the road to recovery. I hope the trip home goes smoothly. Let us know how she's doing with her recovery. It would be interesting to see if the recovery period and recommendations are different in Spain than in the USA.

Take care of yourself too. Keep us posted.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Finally we are at home.
      We travel by train (first class) for about 5 hours. She didn`t feel too much discomfort.
      Once we get home she start changing. i think that being with her friends and her little things in her room, made her to be more active. Today she went out for one hour and she is happy.
      I didn`t find any difference about surgery and restrictions that you all mentioned here. She is not taking any medicines at all. Her first post op revision will be in febraury, and i think that after Christmas leave, she will be able to go to school.
      By.

Comment

canasta's surgery is done

glad to hear everything went well! I can't believe she is not taking any pain meds already! That is great and has already went out for an hour. It sounds like she is doing really well.
        jennifer

Comment

I think that going out yesterday for one hour was too much for her. Today she has some fever and she is very tired. Anyway she is doing ok.
          We will take it slowly from now on.
          By.

Comment

canastas surgery

i know when my daughter first came home from the hospital she was not up to going anywhere. She is now almost 6 weeks post op and last week was the first time we went for an outing aside from going to the dr. for a check up. She is just feeling up to some outings. Make sure she takes it easy, especially if she has deveoped a fever.

good luck
            jennifer

Comment

jc3...

My daughter just had posterior surgery last Tuesday and came home from the hospital on Sunday and they only gave us a prescription for pain meds for one week with no refills!

Mary Lou

Comment

canasta's surgery is done

marylou,
                i was just telling my husband about you getting no refills and he reminded me that with the pain meds they never give you refills on the prescriptions, you have to call them and ask for another prescription and i would do it before you run out because with some of the meds they can not call it in they would have to mail you the prescription. That happened to us when nicole was on percocet, they had to mail us the prescription. So i would give a call to them. Did they say that they don't want her on them after the prescription runs out??

jennifer

Comment

Just a quick update (from the hospital).
                  The fever she had, came from some liquid in the lung.
                  Now the doctors are draining the liquid and looking for the reason of that.
                  We spent Christmas eve at the hospital and it looks like we are going to receive the new year there also.
                  Now we are a little downhearted.
                  By.

Comment

I can't help but respond to Canasta's surgery and recovery. I am so sorry to hear that she is back in the hospital. My daughter also had posterior and anterior entry on November 18, one week before your daughter. She went out for the first time about 3 weeks after her surgery to a friend's house and it did her a world of good. Don't be discouraged, she probably has fluid from the lung deflation. She'll be fine and the Doctor's will take good care of her. It's a little set back. I think if she feels up to going out when she gets home, just limit the time or have her friends to your house. That's what we have been doing and Laura is doing well. This will be behind you soon, and things will get back to normal one day at a time. Good luck and keep your chin up.
                    16 year old Daughter Laura; surgery done Nov 18,2004 for congenital kyphosis and scoliosis.

Comment

Canasta...I'm so sorry you are back in the hospital and over the holidays only makes it worse. I am happy however that they've found the reason for the fever. I was very impressed to hear that you daughter wasn't taking any meds when it was only about 11 days post op. That was great.

jc3...we've discussed my daughter only getting a week's worth of pain meds....well, guess what, that one week's prescription should have run out on the 19th and here it is the 26th and she still has one pill left! I guess I shouldn't have worried so much. Although Jamie is doing well, she hasn't been anywhere yet except to her two week check-up with the doctor and to her tutoring at school twice last week. We are not rushing, however we must go shopping someday this week because I promised her a new outfit and hair cut for when she goes back to school and I had planned on that not happening for a few weeks, but surprise, the doctor said she could go back on Jan. 3rd for half days! I guess I better get her out of the house this week.

Mary Lou

Comment

hi marylou
                        that is great that she will do half days on jan 3rd. So i guess most of the kids who had surgery around the same time will all be going back after the break. We can compare notes on how it goes. My nicole still takes 2 pain pills a day, 1 in the morning and 1 at night. I don't think she even really needs them but i think she takes it still in fear that maybe she will get some pain. I am just amazed on how well they are all doing. I look back on how she was a few weeks post op and the difference now. 2 weeks after surgery she was crying saying that she wouldn't be able to enjoy christmas and yesterday you wouldn't have even known she had the surgery. It is amazing. Nicoles first outing was when she was 3 1/2 weeks post op and that was only to the dr. I think we started some shopping trips a week or two after that. It is a big relief to be on the recovery end now. I think the anticipation before the surgery was much worse.

Jennifer

Comment

The doctors cannot drain all the liquid from the lung. They drained the lower part of the lung but they are not able of doing the same in the upper part.
                          They are going to see if they can put a new drain pipe in there. If not, she will have to go for a new surgery in the thoratics area.
                          It is being dificult to maintain her cheer up.
                          By

Comment

Working...
                          X