lopsided shoulders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lopsided shoulders

Hello again, Well since my last post I have had to go back to the DR because my shoulders have gone lopsided. I have started hurting more up and down my back. The DR is confused, he does not know what to think about what is going on. It hurts so bad at time I cant hardly stand it. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem after getting a harrington rod removed. And what did they have to do to resolve the problem. Thanks in advance for any info.

JustLee...

I think that often, one's lopsided shoulders come from pain. When the pain starts, your muscles naturally lengthen or shorten to try to avoid the pain.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I agree with Linda. After my surgery I was walking around with BOTH my shoulders up. People would call it to my attention and I would drop my shoulders and I would feel so relaxed...and the next thing I knew they were up again. I was doing this sitting and standing. At the pain clinic oneday the Dr. said I can tell you are having pain, most people do that when they are in pain. From time to time (especially when it rains) I catch myself doing this again.

Gail

Comment

Hi Gail and Linda,

Thanks for the reply. The Dr. told me the problem is above the fussion . The spine is trying to curve causing the lopsided shoulder. Making one higher than the other wich in my case it is the right one thats alittle higher. And the pain in the neck is so irritating. The pain is worse at night for some reason. I am so afraid of another surgery I just don't want to have anymore. But I am not thinking that way but it just might be a possiblity. Any ideas are more than welcome thank you.

Comment

Very curious indeed. I haven't had any revision surgery. I still have my rods in place after 2 and a half years. My shoulders look fairly even now, a big change from when I used to feel like the Leaning Tower of Piza.

I've been reading your posts on pain. I also take lortab, simply because I don't tolerate anything much stronger. You don't want to hear about my adventures in the hospital when they gave me morphine.

Did you have severe pain before the rods were removed?

I have slumping, painful shoulders just above the rods. Where the rods end at T4, that's where the pain is. Seems like the rods are doing all the work in the rest of my spine, but up near the top, the muscles have to do the work and they can't handle it. It hurts all the time. Not only that, but the screws holding the rods are very, very painful.

I also have severe neck pain. Some days it's better, but other days, it's awful. My doctor gave me muscle relaxers and that seems to help a little. My neck was sore and stiff before surgery, but after surgery it has been a killer.

However, my lower back no longer hurts! That was the main source of trouble before surgery. The pain was so horrendous, I opted for surgery because I was so desperate. I can do so much more now without the lower back putting me to bed with excruciating pain. Unfortunately, the neck is still problematic and I have the added difficulty with the shoulder area, and the screws.

Myrtle
          Sid Rid
          (female)

Age 52
          Surgery May, 2002
          T4-S1
          MRSA staph infection

Comment

I had pain prior to removal of the rod,,but not like anything I have now. I most nights take two lortabs and use a heating pad just to get rest at night. The Dr. is not willing to prescribe me any more meds, I'm not really sure why. The pain level before surgery was a 10 with 10 being the worst pain in the world. Now it's way above that after surgery. I was hoping that I would be pain free. Boy, was I mistaken!! Now the concern is the pain in between the shoulder blades and when this pain is going to end.
            Last edited by JustLee34; 12-16-2004, 10:11 PM.

Comment

So how long has it been since your rod removal surgery? I'm assuming the pain isn't related to the surgery itself - not yet healed completely and all that.

So does the doctor say what is causing it?

That's one thing I'm afraid of with rod removal. I'm afraid that without the rods in there doing all the work, the pain of the past will return. I know how awful my upper spine pain is without benefit of the rods. Could this have happened to you?
              Sid Rid
              (female)

Age 52
              Surgery May, 2002
              T4-S1
              MRSA staph infection

Comment

Hi I really dont know if the pain is cause by the surgery or not. But it will be six months Dec 30 of this year since the surgery. The Dr. said that the rod removal probably had nothing to do with the shoulders going lopsided. I really don't know if it is true or not but hopefully he is right. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X