Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hormones Still Not Regulated at 6 Months Post Op

Hi Everyone,

I'm 6 months post up and doing really great. My back feels more even and normal as the weeks go on. I can tell my muscles are stronger, and I can do more and more. I do, however, still have a lot of the stinging/burning/sharp pains on the right side of my fusion. It seems to be the worst when I "over do it" - like clean the house or bend and reach too much. But from what I've read on this forum this all seems normal.

The one thing I am getting frustrated with is my hormones still being very off at this stage. I asked my surgeon a few months ago about this and he said "anything is possible" and that it's common for hormones to be thrown off by this surgery.. but he didn't have any thoughts on when it might get back to normal or what I can do.

Mainly for the women here, how long did it take for your hormones to regulate after surgery - including menstrual cycle? For me it's not only my cycle but I'm also having issues with acne and mood swings, too.

Any thoughts on regulating my hormones in general would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if there's anything I should be doing or just ride it out and wait.

Thanks,
    Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I think it took 3 months for my cycle to return.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I thought the mood swings were related to surgery recovery and not hormones - I tend to cry much more than normal.

I had a second period 2 days after returning home from the hospital post-op (my period ended 1 week earlier) but is now back on schedule, so that has not been an issue.
      Female, age 38
      4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
      currently 64*upper/40*lower
      Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
      now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Yes, mood swings in the initial 4-8 weeks after surgery are definitely from the surgery itself and the drugs/pain killers. I had bouts of depression and crying at about 4-6 weeks post op but I was still taking Dilaudid so that's very normal.

I'm talking about hormones being off at 6 months post op.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

hormones

[QUOTE=JamieAnn;119812]Hi Everyone,

The one thing I am getting frustrated with is my hormones still being very off at this stage. I asked my surgeon a few months ago about this and he said "anything is possible" and that it's common for hormones to be thrown off by this surgery.. but he didn't have any thoughts on when it might get back to normal or what I can do.

Mainly for the women here, how long did it take for your hormones to regulate after surgery - including menstrual cycle? For me it's not only my cycle but I'm also having issues with acne and mood swings, too.

Jaime,

I'm with you on this one....I feel that my surgery completely changed how my body is now functioning. I think I would have an easier time dealing with the lingering pain and new issues with my necks if my hormones weren't so out of wack. Unfortunately there seems to be no remedy given by doc's other than take an antidepressant. Which by the way I tried a few for the pain effects, at pretty good doses, and they certainly ddn't help the hormonal issue. Hope things get better for you as time goes by :O)
          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Jamie,
            Thanks for posting this. I am "with you" on this one! My cycle has not returned and it has been 8 months since my surgery. I have also had hot flashes and night sweats. I just went to see a gynecologist today. She drew blood to test my hormone levels. I'll see her again in another month, and, hopefully, will find out what's going on. I am now 47, so, for me, the surgery might have kicked me into menopause. However, you are much younger than me if I remember correctly. If you feel up to it, you might want to get your hormone levels checked. I'll let you know what I find out.

For the record, it's a bit of a challenge to log roll to get horizontal on a little exam table (smiles).
            Kathy
            46 yrs at surgery, now 50
            71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
            8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
            http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Hi...

After any big trauma, illness, or surgery, one's hormones can go very whacky. I know several people who went into early menopause after one of these. About 10 years ago, I had a very serious illness. I was only sick for about a month, but it sent me head first into menopause. Unfortunately, I've had hot flashes ever since!

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

well, for anyone who doesn't come back from the effect on their hormones...i would recommend bio identical hormones..
                not to rush anyone ...perhaps many women will have their hormones back where they belong after some months...
                but for anyone who doesn't, i can tell you from my own experience taking bio identicals for about 6 years now...they saved my life!
                and they are nothing like the synthetics! i tried the "usual" hormones first, for several years...absolutely no comparison!

jess

Comment

Jamie-

Until I read your post here I never really connected my mood swings to the surgery. I had mood swings when I was a teenager, but they leveled out at some point. Since the surgery they've been off the charts for me. The past two months have been the worst. They were so bad that I've gone from complete drama queen to breaking down crying about feeling like a bad mother. However, this past week I've seem to be leveling out again (and I confirmed this with my husband to make sure it wasn't just me). As for the menstrual cycle, I had my first one the day after my surgery (lucky me). It wasn't consistent for a few months, but seems to be on a new pattern now. I was on a 32 day cycle before surgery and now it's 29. I'm at 8 months post-op so maybe things will return to normal soon for you.
                  Tiffany K
                  I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
                  4'11", never braced
                  Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
                  T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Comment

I turned 50 a few days after my revision surgery. I did not experience any mood swings, etc after any of my surgeries, nor any disruption in my cycle. (If surgery had kicked me into menopause, it would have been more than fine with me. No such luck.)
                    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

New Question

When I saw the GYN about hormones on Tuesday, she went ahead and did an exam and a pap test. Is a pap test one where I should have taken antibiotics prior to the test? It would be helpful if surgeons would provide a few more examples/details on these things.....

Linda, do you know?

Thanks!!!!
                      Kathy

4 osteotomies and 1 cage

Comment

Originally posted by KathK View Post
                        When I saw the GYN about hormones on Tuesday, she went ahead and did an exam and a pap test. Is a pap test one where I should have taken antibiotics prior to the test? It would be helpful if surgeons would provide a few more examples/details on these things.....

Linda, do you know?

Thanks!!!!
                        Not for a pap, as far as I know.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks, Debbei,
                          I did call the surgeon's office this morning, and you are correct, antibiotics are not needed prior to a pap test.
                          Thanks, again!
                          Kathy

4 osteotomies and 1 cage

Comment

Working...
                          X