Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
    36 degree curve Thoratic
    Lumbar natural fusion
    Surgery Date 1/31/2011
    T2-L1
    Dr. Herkowitz
    Heart Condition and Bleeding Disorder
    hoping they don't reschedule my surgery again

I found pain management on the night shift sucked more.... I hope your day people improve and I hope your recovery improves too.....

Comment

Wow. Posting on your third day after surgery? Amazing! I was too out of it to even read posts, let alone type!! Congratulations, and here's to a speedy, uneventful recovery. Every day gets noticeably better, I promise.
      Jenee'-52
      Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
      Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
      I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
      9 hours
      T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
      Non-fusion
      Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

LaShawn keep up the great work
        Kara
        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
        Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
        T4-L2
        Before 50T
        After 20T

Comment

Thinking of you. . .and glad you're now on the other side. . .and hoping you are now getting good relief.

As an aside. . .I just do not understand why so many patients have unsatisfactory experiences w/pain control while still in the hospital, freshly post-op?? It seems to be a recurring problem that happens no matter what hospital you're in, or what region you're in. It's not like hospitals just started having post-op patients a week or so ago, and still have to work the bugs out. Hospitals have been in the "taking care of post-op patients" game for a very long time. . .so, why is pain management such a lingering problem for them? It's amazing how one person can have such a different experience, shift to shift. How hard can it be to find what works, and keep doing it? (I'm an RN. In nursing school we were taught that adequate pain management of hospitalized patients was expected, not a lofty goal. Somehow, there is a disconnect between theory and practice. I just don't understand.)

THIRD DAY ACCOMPLISHED!!!! ONWARD!
          Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
          Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
          Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Pain management

Originally posted by mgs View Post
            Thinking of you. . .and glad you're now on the other side. . .and hoping you are now getting good relief.

As an aside. . .I just do not understand why so many patients have unsatisfactory experiences w/pain control while still in the hospital, freshly post-op?? It seems to be a recurring problem that happens no matter what hospital you're in, or what region you're in. It's not like hospitals just started having post-op patients a week or so ago, and still have to work the bugs out. Hospitals have been in the "taking care of post-op patients" game for a very long time. . .so, why is pain management such a lingering problem for them? It's amazing how one person can have such a different experience, shift to shift. How hard can it be to find what works, and keep doing it? (I'm an RN. In nursing school we were taught that adequate pain management of hospitalized patients was expected, not a lofty goal. Somehow, there is a disconnect between theory and practice. I just don't understand.)

THIRD DAY ACCOMPLISHED!!!! ONWARD!
            I'm an RN too, and have been through 2 scoliosis surgeries in the past 3 years. I believe that pain management post op is such a difficult issue because there are so many variables involved. Scoliosis has to be one of the most painful surgeries out there. It's difficult to control pain immediately post op because of differences in pain tolerance, which medications are used, surgeon preferences, whether patients know to ask for pain meds when switched to oral, staffing issues, so many things. And then if you don't stay on top of the pain, it's so hard to get it back under control. I know one thing that helped me was something called an On Q catheter inserted under my incision during surgery that totally blocked pain for the first couple of days, then was taken out same day as my drain was taken out. But definitely pain management in the hospital could use some improvement, I agree.
            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
            X