Michigan Dr's who handle adult scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Dr's who handle adult scoliosis

I just thought I would share my experience.

There are lots of Dr's in michigan who do scoliosis surgery... But I had a hard time finding one who would take on an ADULT case...

The two doctors I saw were Dr. Montgomery, and Dr. Herkowitz (both located in Royal Oak, MI)

Negative experience with Dr Montgomery- I had a single 52 degree curve. My shoulders were 3 inches different, my torso was so bent off to the side that my left arm hung straight down about 2" away from my side. I had pretty significant pain. He only wanted to refer me to a pain clinic. He came highly recommended to me by a co-worker of my aunt's. He did her surgery several years before.

Dr. Herkowtiz was great. Very stern, but came accross as very knowledgable. Tried to figure out what could be causing my curve (rapid progression at the ages of 19 and 20, with a previously undiscernable curvature until that point), but once all other avenues were explored, surgery was offered and recommended to me.
    My correction was just beautiful (nearly perfectly straight, exception being the lumbar vertibrae he left unfused so I would have some flexibility) , and I'm living an active and relatively pain free life now, not yet a year post op....
    Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
    Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
    Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
    Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
    February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
    September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Good Evening,
    I have had great experience with the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor also St. Marys in Ann Arbor regarding adult scoliosis and surgery. You might try and contact them for info or assistance. God Bless...
    Live long and prosper!

Comment

One of my horseback riding students had her scoliosis surgery done at U of M, as well as another girl I compete against. Both had lovely outcomes to their surgeries.
      Blair

Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.

Comment

Hi Blair,
        Someone I know is seeing Dr. Montgomery this week (Jan. 26). She spoke with him once and didn't like his bedside manner. Do you have any other info/experiences about him being a competent doctor? I would really appreciate any information I can get to give to her. Thanks!
        P.S. I'm glad your experience with Dr. Herkowtiz went well!

Comment

The only person I know of who has been to him had a positive experience. Her back has been pretty much problem free since her surgery (a number of years ago) from what I understand.
          But... I was displeased with his lack of concern regarding my case Not so much just because he didn't want to operate, but he just seemed completely uninterested in figuring out why as a 20 year old with a previously minescule curve, I was having such rapid progression and pain.
          I believe that even if he *had* wanted to do surgery on me, I would have opted to have another opinion and still gone with Herkowitz, just because I didn't get a good feeling from him.
          Blair

Comment

Thanks Blair, I appreciate the information on Dr. Montgomery. I saw your other post also. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Blair83,
              I was scanning through these latest posts and noticed you are having scar revision surgery Feb 5th.
              I talked with you a month or so ago about the similar problems of your scar and my daughters.
              You have been the only person who had the same healing problem that left a scar like she has.( You linked me to your pic).
              It took a long time (as probably yours) to heal and was very frightening to me. Changing the dressing everyday, taking antibiotics and having the Dr scrutinize it over the internet( we travel to Houston).
              He said it was "a reaction to the stiches" but that looked like the Grand Canyon had opened.
              I am now very scared of future infections as I read they can happed at ANY time. Also on our last vist to the Dr. he mentioned she could get scar revision surgery at a later time. When was your scoliosis surgery compared to now your upcoming scar surgery?
              What will they do?
              May I asked why you are having it done?
              I really don't want her to go thru any more surgerys for a while but did they tell you it should be done? Sorry for any nosey questions and if you would rather not say now I understand.
              Good luck, Mamakay
              now 16 yr old daughter
              with worsen 65 degree upper curve
              surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

Mamakay-
                I will have had my surgery about 14 months before my scar revision. The websites I've seen while looking for info on it recommend that the scar be at least a year old.

I decided to have it done because my scar is really thin and deep, and I can both see and feel my bones through it really easily. Leaning against high backed chairs or against a wall can be uncomfortable. Also, I just didn't like how it looks, and since it's covered by my insurance as reconstructive surgery, I decided to go for it.

My scar did indeed take FOREVER to heal... 2 months of hydrogen peroxide, antibiotics (oral and ointment), gauze pads, and showering trying not to get it wet, and then trying to treat it without looking at it so I wouldn't get sick (doesn't work that well... LOL). I haven't had any further problem with reacting to the stitches thankfully.

My understanding of the procedure is that it is going to be pretty simple. The scar is very mobile, and I believe that the plan is to pretty much cut the scar, remove excess tissue, and reclose. The surgeon is optimistic that he should be able to get it to match the rest of my scar pretty closely.

The surgery iis done on an outpatient basis, and can be done under a local anesthesia, sedation, or general anesthesia. I'm doing general anesthesia because I'm a bit wimpy and don't want to end up panicking or getting sick...
                I do have to take a week off from work and physical activities so I don't stress the stitches.
                Blair

Comment

Working...
                X