pain or no pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pain or no pain?

is it better to just live with pain if it's not causing any health problems, or is it best to just go for the surgery?

I am not quite sure with that one. Does your doctor know you have pain. My doctor asks me everytime I am there if I am in pain. He uses that as a sign of needing surgery but I don't know. I mean I am sometimes in mild pain and there is no rush on my surgery. But really I don't know. I think that also depends on how intense the pain is. If it is really bad you might want ot go ahead and get surgery because when you get older the pain might get a lot worse. Hope this helped!
    ~*Lauren*~
    Braced for 5 months
    Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
    Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
    Surgery on April 26th 2005
    Fused from T3-L4
    Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

thanks. the only reason i asked is because my mom works with a woman who's husband has scoliosis in the same place i do, high in the back. his doctor told him that it's best to live with the pain than to have surgery. then again, this is an older man, probably in his late 50's (age, not curves). so, i don't know if his age has anything to do with it . i'm only 15. i just don't know. and yes, my doc does know i have pain.

thanks again,
      Ginny

Comment

My opinion is this:

If your pain is to the degree that you cannot function normally and do the things you enjoy, have the surgery.

If your pain level is not having a negative effect on your happiness and well-being, perhaps you may want to wait...
        Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
        Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
        Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
        Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
        February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
        September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Hi there,

I rather think this is a question which only has a "one-way" answer. I think if your pain were to get get really bad, it would be a sign that you should get on with surgery. I don't think it necessarily follows that, if the pain is not intolerable, you should not go ahead.

I don't think it' s going to be helpful to compare yourself with a man in his late 50s - it's a quite different situation and, for all you know, he may have other health problems which increase the risk from the surgery.

i'd be guided by what your doctor says. Hope this helps,

Lorrie

Comment

I would personally go for the surgery. I had surgery four years ago this coming January. Yes I do still have back pain but it's not as bad as it was before.

Comment

Working...
            X