Revision Surgery after 32 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revision Surgery after 32 years

I had scoliosis surgery in 1972 for a 54 degree lateral curve. I have a harrington rod and my spine is fused to L-5. I was in great shape until age 40 when I developed arthritis in my sacrylliac joints and then later began having almost constant pain, sometimes numbness traveling down one or more legs. Over the past couple of years it has become difficult to stand up straight--I lean forward.

My current ortho doctor says I now have flat back syndrome. He is recommending that I have surgery to remove the harrington rod and some of the lower fusion. They will then realign my spine to put back in a slight curvature and hope to eliminate the flat back syndrome.

Has anyone had this procedure, and can you tell me your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Deb
    1972 - 54 degree lumbar curvature
    Grew 2 1/2 inches in 6 hours
    Quite attached to my harrington rod T-9 to L-5
    Ready for revision surgery

Hi deb...

I'm sure you'll find lots of people here who have flatback, and who have had revision surgery. You might also want to check into YahooGroups (http://www.yahoogroups.com) and look for a forum called FeistyScolioFlatbackers.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
    X