postop visit at 10 wks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• postop visit at 10 wks

on Dec 15 i had a 10 wk followup with dr lenke; xrays were taken and he said things were as well as could be expected; said i could workout with weights and i could stretch, just to take it real easy at the beginning and stop if i begin to feel any pain

on the plus side:
    1. i'm completely free of any of the preop pain i had in my buttock and legs;
    2. i can stand and walk indefinitely;
    3. i've regained some of the energy i had lost;
    4. was able to wean off the pain meds (not pleasant)

remaining:
    1. just very slight residual tenderness and numbness in the surgical area;
    2. one thing worse after surg was a little weakness in my left quad, most noticeable when trying to walk up stairs, improved maybe 80% so far, can go up stairs without holding on the a banister now but takes some extra effort
    3. just once in a while i feel a very slight ache at what would seem to be the top of the rod on the right side but not a problem at this point

my perspective on the surgery has changed some since my post about 3 weeks postop; i view it as an overall positive experience; the pain was soon forgotten but i was deeply touched by the many kindnesses and concerns shown me and these i will not soon forget

there is one thing i would do differently if i could do it again; the first night in the hospital i was left in significant pain and i don't think i recovered from this until after i was home; it is a well known principle of pain management that you don't let pain get out of control as it can be very difficult to catch up; mine was never caught up with, consequently i never could get any real sleep leading, i believe, to the 2 days of delirium i had, extending my hospital stay a few days; if i had to do it again, i would SCREAM BLOODY MURDER until i had sufficient pain relief to sleep (and then be as sweet and gentle as a lamb). Sucking it up was a big mistake. And as for that horse manure 1 - 10 pain scale, there are only two answers to ever give: 0 or 10, i.e. either you want more or you don't. If you think telling them 7, 8, or 9 will necessarily get you some more help, well it didn't for me.
    junosand
    59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
    schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
    with titanium cages
    Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Glad to hear everything went well and you sound really good.

And as for that horse manure 1 - 10 pain scale, there are only two answers to ever give: 0 or 10, i.e. either you want more or you don't.
    ^^ Oh, I'm definitely going to remember this one, lol.
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

I absolutely agree with your comments about pain. I think good pain control is vital for a good recovery. I would never advocate "sucking it up." Pain prevents sleep, prevents the required amount of walking, dulls the appetite and sucks the life out of a patient. Pain takes away any feelings of positivity. And I believe, all these things are important to regaining strength and normality.

Just my opinion.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Junosand,
        It sounds like you are doing well. Thanks so much for the tip. I will not try to be tough which would be more my nature than begging for drugs! I will yell, if necessary.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Junosand- glad your visit went well and things are as expected. Although my inclination is to "suck it up" also, the dosage of pain meds they initially gave me just kept me sleeping a lot so I didn't have to scream for more. Good advice to those with upcoming surgery. I think I was told somewhere along the line that you heal better if you're not fighting pain. Happy Holidays!
          Age 56
          Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
          Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
          Thoracic 68
          Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
          Dr Bridwell St Louis
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

reply to LisaB

ideally it would always go as it did for you; i don't think they took into account how habituated i was to start with from the 40 mgs of oxycodone i had been on daily for over a year preop (percoset 10/325 4 times a day) and not one of the nurses was really proactive about it; at the local (level II) hospital i practiced at, the nurses are trained and encouraged to be proactive about pain and i expected they would be at BJC; i'll also add that, among the nurses i've talked to about it, this is not something they consider an extra burden, they embrace it
            junosand
            schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
            with titanium cages

Comment

reply to golfnut

definitely! do NOT put up with insufficient pain relief, especially in the first few days; make sure you are getting some meaningful sleep; you will (i think) be cared for by the same staff on the same floor where i was (7th floor, Barnes South)
              junosand
              with titanium cages

Comment

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well at 10 weeks. I am surprised to hear that as a Doctor yourself, that your pain was not addressed properly. Where was your surgeon in all of this? Keep healing and hope you are enjoying Christmas.
                Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

reply to loves to skate

pain management is largely left to the nurses; the surgeon doesn't hear about it unless there's some big problem; i was not vocal enough; the first night, though, it was so bad that the nurse did call the doctor (the 1st yr orthopedic resident on call); he ordered an increase in the pulse dose on the pca pump (it turned out the basal rate had been on 0 the whole time and was left so); this was at 2am; it was not turned up until 5am; when asked repeatedly why it was not increased yet, the nurse said "the order hasn't been entered into the computer yet"; truly amazing i didn't go ballistic
                  junosand
                  with titanium cages

Comment

This should not happen to anyone. I had a friend that this happened to also. How is the poor patient to know other than to suffer? Did your surgeon not include pain medication into your incision? Mind did (don't remember what it was) and I felt no pain for at least the first 12 hours and by that time, the day shift was in to check on things.
                    Everyone - scream if you have to! Before surgery, ask your surgeon if he includes pain medication in your incision before he sews you back up.
                    Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Yes that medication in the incision was a God send, but when it wore off, boy was that a surprise! If only our post-surgery pain could be like it was during the first pain hours, this surgery would have been a breeze!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

thank you for such wonderful, specific advice. I'll be sure to holler if I'm being ignored tomorrow night!

i have found with previous surgeries, it can depend on the nurse how well your pain is managed. some nurses are on top of it, giving you the doses before they wear off, and others seem to wait till the very last second. It's hard to be a complainer, but in this case it's absolutely necessary to make your needs known.

again, thanks for posting this!
                        Rebecca
                        Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
                        wore night bending brace as teenager
                        Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
                        herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
                        fusion L2-3 November 2008
                        Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
                        Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
                        Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
                        gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
                        Before and After X-rays
                        My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

JUNOSAND,
                          So glad to hear from you. Sounds like you are doing well, and I am glad that you are viewing it as a positive outcome! I agree with the pain management. Once you are out of control with pain, it takes a LONG time to get under control once again. Sometimes it never does. Don't be a hero, those of you still waiting, take/ask for the meds!!! pain of 10, 10, 10, shows medical staff that your pain is not even close to being under control and pushes them to find meds that work for YOU. Oh, yeah, and as a nurse, I always put my pts on a schedule to anticipate the pain, it makes their and my day so much better! We start to lay off when they are under more control
                          Last edited by Heidiv2; 12-27-2010, 09:00 AM. Reason: forgot somehting
                          Heidi
                          35 year old mother of 2 lil girls
                          60 degree thoracic
                          44 degree lumbar
                          Oct. 11, 2010 surgery
                          Dr. Lenke St. Louis
                          1 year follow up: 15 degree thoracic, 22 lumbar
                          fused T1 to L1

Comment

Junosand

You sound great!

I agree with being vocal, which I was. I had no problems in that department, and basically was knocked out on a regular basis for 10 days.
                            Hard to believe, but screaming does help sometimes! LOL

Your perspective on surgery will change as the months go by. After 3 years, I look at it totally different now and of course, wouldn’t change a thing. It does get better, but it does take a long time. I feel it takes at least 2 years for a procedure like mine. 90% in the first year, 10% for the second year, the year of fine tuning and getting over the fatigue.

You are past the hard part now and the light at the end of the tunnel will become brighter as time passes. Break out your sunglasses.
                            Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Heidi and Junosand,
                              I am so glad to get this advice, because I know I would have tried my best to be tough. If you have any more advice, I'm listening.
                              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                              Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Age-60 at the time of surgery
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                              X