Sad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad!

Alot of people are making fun of me cause of my brace and ive had it for 5 years i HATE IT and they say stuff like.......You were born wrong cause you wear a brace,You try to be cool cause you have that brace,you're parents proabally wish they never had you!And it really hirts my feelings and all i do is walk away! Is there something els I Should be doing to make this STOP!
    Thanks for all you're help!

Ciera,

Hi Ciera...

I personally don't think that there's much you can do to make them stop. You can try to find some witty comebacks to their taunts (I don't have to TRY to be cool! or I was born with scoliosis, what's your excuse for being a jerk?). Or, you can laugh it off. If they think their taunts aren't getting to you, they'll almost certainly stop. Try to remember that just because they say things doesn't mean those things are true.

Here's a sweet poem for you:

So in this world
    Of the simple and odd,
    The bent and plain,
    The unbalanced bod,
    The imperfect people
    And differently pawed,
    Some live without love...
    That's how they're flawed.
    From "Flawed Dogs" by Berkeley Breathed

Regards,
    Linda
    Last edited by LindaRacine; 11-23-2004, 07:43 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Ciera,

That sounds pretty miserable right now! Your post reminded me of a short time in high school when some people started teasing me about my Milwaukee brace. They would stare and point, and call names. Luckily, they were people I didn't know very well, so it was easier to ignore them. I remember one of my friends asking me did I mind that they were making fun of me, and replying, well, at least I would still be smart when I got out of my brace, whereas they would still be stupid.

I suppose what I really wanted to say is that the teasing didn't seem to last that long - they got bored pretty fast, especially when I didn't pay any attention, and kept on doing whatever I was doing. Keep cheery within yourself and it will certainly pass. If you are feeling down about it, or it gets too much, remember to talk to your family or teachers and at least get a sympathetic ear.

All the best. ~Laura

p.s. I really like the poem.
      30y/o
      Upper curve around 55
      Lower curve around 35

Comment

Thanke ALOT!

Thank you SOOOOO MUCH that poem and those combacks are really COOL!!! And Those things you said about the teasing wont last! Thank you!!!!!
        Ive had my brace for 5 years how long have you had yours?
        I Liked that Poem!
        And I Wrote those combacks down so I Could remember!!!

Ciera,

Comment

Hi Ciera...

The only braces I ever wore were right before and after my surgery. My scoliosis wasn't diagnosed until long after I was skeletally mature, so I never had the option of wearing a brace.

I'm glad I was able to help. I know that it's horrible to have to wear the brace, but if it can help you avoid surgery, it really be worthwhile. Always remember that what doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

go tell your teacher your having promblems with thos kids kids.i had the same problem but worse.i hope you well get better soon
            If you brake it ou buy it.you got it now.

Comment

Ciera

Oh my gosh girl... Don't you dare let anyone imature and selfish and just plain mean to make you feel bad for even one day... I wore a terrible ugly milwaulkee brace for 3 years ick and then had to have surgery and wear a freaking plaster cast for 6 yes ... 6 months - that dates me... I am 38 and Girlfriend you own your brace your self .... you have ONE only one life... live it with love - fun - and passion - never let others define who you are - never.... People who make fun are sometimes just ignorant - how unfortunate for them..... I know what if feels like - I know how to over come - I have a daughter age 10 just diagnosed with scoliossis... gee thanks to me.... but she has a grat attitude - yes it sucks but it's you one life - and you live it for YOU and only you .... please please please... feel free any question or anyting at all I am here - been there done that kinda girl - and doing awesome - don't get me wrong - it was tuff - and it broke my heart that my little beautiful angel has to go through what I went throught.... Keep your chin up!

Comment

Hey i know how you feel

Ciera, i know exactly how you feel but just stick with your friends (the friends that don't care about the brace) and if your by them and those people come up to you and say all that stuff your friends should back you up and protect you. Or just say " Well plastic people rule, non plastic people suck except for my friends" That really helps i've tried it on more then one occasion and my best friends have said it to. Well hope this helps ya. bye ~Sammie~

Sammie
                Curve top:35
                Curve bottom:45
                With brace: 35 and 35

Comment

I too had a terrible time going through school with Scoliosis. It actually got so bad that a few kids from class found out where I lived and started riding their bikes up and down my street screaming Igor. I cried a lot. My parents wanted a restraining order, my neighboors wanted to shoot them with BB guns or paint balls, my vice principal even got involved and I just wanted it all to go away (crawl into a hole and ignore them. When I was in elementary school and even some of jr high I (or my mom) would take some special time in class to talk to the people in class and explain the brace and what it was for. We would even let them try it on and tell them to try to go the bathroom in that thing :-P Basically I want you to know that you will get though this. It is really hard, but it will happen. As you get older less and less people notice or even care. There is no reason that you should ever feel down on yourself, especially just because of some who are scared of what they don't understand or are so uncomfortable with themselves that they have to make fun of you. This may sound a little funny but my motto when I am really embarrassed or uncomfortable (even now without a brace) is "Fake it until you actually Feel it". Its amazing how far a good additude and smile will get you. Pretend that you are not embarrassed or that you don't care, and eventually you really won't care :-) I'm sure that you have some great friends and that is all that any of us can ask for. Let them remind you what a good person you are. If you would like to talk please feel free to email me.
                  Jennifer

26 years old. Diagnosed with severe Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT at the age of 8. Have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 on my spine and 2 on both of my feet. Including rod removal surgery. I am fused from T-2 to T-12.

Comment

Originally posted by Ciera
                    Thank you SOOOOO MUCH that poem and those combacks are really COOL!!! And Those things you said about the teasing wont last! Thank you!!!!!
                    Ive had my brace for 5 years how long have you had yours?
                    I Liked that Poem!
                    And I Wrote those combacks down so I Could remember!!!

Ciera,

I wore the brace since i was 7 and now i am 13. i have to go to surgery. the kids used to do thst with me but then they started asking why and what would happen if i wouldn't wear it and nobody can see me wihtout it.

Comment

Cierra,
                      I work with kids who stutter. They get more than their fair share of inappropriate comments too. I did have a teen one time who when teased about his stuttering had a great come back. When a couple of "cool" kids were making fun of his speech problem, he took a deep breath and engaged in the worst stuttering he could come up with and said

'You had better watch out or you might catch my stuttering."

The kids were stunned and didn't have a clue what to say to that! For a split second I am sure they were convinced his stuttering was contagious. Everyone else present laughed and laughed (at the "cool" kids!) and it was the last time this boy was teased about his speech.

Comment

Working...
                      X