Update on Backissues from the "other side"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Backissues from the "other side"

I DID it!! The surgery is over and I came home on December 14. My surgery took place on December 7 and took 11 hours. The estimated time had been 8-9 hours.

I followed the Peggy Huddleston suggestions about what should be said and played in the operating room. Who knows if they ever do it but it is nice to think so.

I was in ICU for 3 days. It sounds bad but it was because Dr. Rand uses Duramorphan and then my blood pressure was very low from all the drugs. Being in ICU really means you get more individualized attention.

My potassium levels were low. This may have caused me some light-headedness. I took supplements in the hospital and have some for home as well. This has improved as I learn to get up more slowly.

I am on 10 mg Oxycontin twice a day with Tylenol 650 mg in between. They gave me Oxycodone IR but I haven't taken any.

My biggest discomfort and pain is my stomach. I am taking Colace and Miralax so I am not constipated. I have very little appetite and either have gas or am just bloated. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!!

I've tried Gas-X and it gives a little help. I spoke with my GI doctor and he suggested as Ed has done to take Magnesium Citrate and clean everything out of me. I am concerned about getting dehydrated. How can I safely take the Magnesium Citrate?

Has anyone used Probiotics? If so, what brand?

Thanks for your continued support.

Regards, Irene

great job now your on the road to recovery
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

Irene--
      Congrats on being on this side! The Miralax was the thing that finally worked for me after daily doing the prune juice, etc. Hope you find the right formula and it will ease up for you. That can be very difficult. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Congratulations Irene and welcome back! You sound fantastic for someone so early out.

Most of us have discomfort with gas/bloating/constipation, but believe me, it will pass, because you will work on it!

I used Probiotics, have no idea if they helped. Still, I think they're worth trying.

I loved being in ICU as well. I was only there overnight, but I felt safe. The nurse was at the foot of my bed and if I made a sound or a movement, she was there with her hand on mine. I couldn't see because my eyes were swollen shut until the next day. (Must have been a lovely sight!)

All you have to do now is eat, drink, sleep, walk. Not a heavy schedule, but the days will pass and you will look back on each week and see how far you've come. Best of luck for a smooth road!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Yay!! You are home! You sound like you are doing great. I am happy for you. Look forward to the progress each week.
          Jenee'-52
          Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
          Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
          I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
          9 hours
          T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
          Non-fusion
          Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

My problem isn't being constipated. I am taking Colace and Dr. Schultz's Intestinal Cleanse, which my yoga teacher suggested. It is gentle and works for me.

I am having more bloating and general stomach pain. Sometimes, I think the stomach pain is worse than the back pain.

Also, I am on the Oxycontin 10 mg but am thinking this isn't doing my stomach any good either. I'm afraid to try to get off it right now. I use Tylenol between but I do have Oxycodone, if I need it. I try to stay away from the narcotics as much as possible. I have been taking a little Valium at night, when needed.

I'm doing my "laps" around the kitchen, familyroom, hall, etc. to build up my walking. It is amazing how much energy walking around 3 or 4 times around the house takes. I haven't walked outside yet. It is very cold in New England so I'll build up inside the house.

Thanks for being my cheering squad.

Irene

Comment

hi Irene
              i hate to think of you in pain!
              i haven't had scoli surgery...yet...but i have 30 mg oxycontin, which i take on bad days...i take hydrocodone on other days...none of it constipates me...for some reason, i have a weird stomach...it just doesn't get constipated from pain meds! i wish others had that situation too!

perhaps you could call your surgeon, or your GP, to ask for help...it is awful to suffer in pain if it can be avoided!

best wishes for rapid healing and recovery
              jess
              Last edited by jrnyc; 12-19-2010, 05:22 PM.

Comment

10mg Oxycontin is a tiny dose compared to what I was on. Ouch! If you can get by on that, you're doing great, Irene. But if you're in pain, it's really not worth it (in my opinion, but then, I'm a big baby.)

It's great that you're walking, it's so important I feel. What a shame it's too cold outside, but glad it's not stopping you.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

yay! glad to hear you're home! hope these first few weeks fly by, and you can figure out the balance between bloating and pain meds and pain.

keep us posted!
                  Rebecca
                  Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
                  wore night bending brace as teenager
                  Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
                  herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
                  fusion L2-3 November 2008
                  Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
                  Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
                  Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
                  gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
                  Before and After X-rays
                  My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Irene,
                    You sound great! wow!

I was told to eat yogurt.....lotsa yogurt, and sliced roast beef for protein. I was on heavy meds so eating was difficult, had to force myself to eat and still lost 40# in 40 days.

Yes, when you take meds the stomach hurts.... write down your daily intake, food, bowel, etc. keep notes. A slow weaning is wise. Call your Doc before you cut ANY pills.

I used pedialyte for electrolytes after using Mag Citrate. I felt like a 12 volt battery with only 1 volt left.....pretty dim actually. Drink 3/4 bottle and hang by the toilet. 2-3 hrs. Citric acid works well for cleaning tile....should work well for the intestines. Apple juice, prune juice should keep things in line. Eating a balanced diet is probably the most important thing.

You can get constipated “going every day”.......I did have a 10 day ileus, that might have contributed to that “little” problem. Water is very important for intestinal health. So is walking. It keeps things moving down there. I have also read that chewing gum stimulates the intestines.

I didn’t know Dr Scholl’s went into the intestinal cleanse business.....
                    Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                      I didn’t know Dr Scholl’s went into the intestinal cleanse business.....
                      Ed
                      You didn't know that?

He stomps around with those wooden cloggie things to break things up. (smiley face)
                      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Ok, As long as he doesn’t weigh as much as Schultz. Sgt. Schultz that is.
                        Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Further Update at almost 6 weeks

Here I am almost 5 weeks out and my stomach is still my problem.

Backtracking to week 3, while on the oxycontin, I couldn’t eat or drink that much and became dehydrated. Christmas Eve I went by ambulance to the hospital where I was pronounced dehydrated. I stopped the oxycontin and was on IV potassium and sodium. My sodium level was at 110, which is very low.
                          I went on Tylenol for pain management. I was in the hospital for 3 nights and came home Monday.

My appetite is much better but I still have pain in my upper abdomen, especially on the right side.

For back pain control, I began using Tramadol. I guess it helps. I take Donnatol for my stomach pain.

Then, my PCP sent me for an ultrasound to see if it is my gall bladder. I had the test on Thursday ( 1/6) but haven’t gotten any formal answer back. The technician didn’t see anything abnormal. Thank goodness. Now, my PCP is thinking peptic ulcer.

I have an appointment with Dr. Rand, my surgeon, on Monday. He wants to see x-rays to see about the placement of instrumentation. (I hate to think of more surgery.)

Today, I stopped the Tramadol because that can cause stomach upset. I’m back on Tylenol 650 mg twice a day.

I am NOT constipated so I am not using any of those drugs.

My walking is good. I am up to 20 minutes around my house inside. It is boring but I get it done. Otherwise, I do 10 minute segments. I am using a cane.

So, without the belly pain, I would be doing great!!

Has anyone else had such trouble???

Suggestions…..

Regards, Irene

Comment

More Updates

Yesterday I went to Dr. Rand. It appears that the cement at the top of the fusion may have slipped a little, which isn't unusual. Dr. Rand is thinking the pain in my abdomen is referred pain from the back. I have less or no pain when I lie down. He took regular x-rays, chest x-rays, and a lung test for embolisms. All were negative. He wants me to curtail activity for a few weeks and use the cane all the time as well as the brace when I am up. My cane was too short so he adjusted it. Walking without a cane because I can is not what he wants me to do.

If I want to go to a gastrointerologist after trying this resting, that is up to me. He doesn't really think there is anything wrong with my stomach. I have an appt with him Feb. 7. He hopes by then I will have improved. Me too....

Just thought I would catch you up.

Comment

You say the pain is in the upper right abdomen? I'm assuming they did an ultrasound of the gallbladder/liver area. Could it be adjustment of your rib cage? Hope you get some relief soon!!

Evelyn
                              age 48
                              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
                              X