View Full Version : Surgery December 20th

12-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Decided to go ahead with the surgery. I am continuing the fusion from L5-S1 with pelvic fixation and a wedge osteotomy at L3. I trust my Dr and know this will help my pain and balance problems. Thanks everyone for your continued support!

12-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Best of luck... I will keep you in my prayers.

12-04-2010, 11:58 AM
good luck janet

dolores a
12-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Good luck with your upcoming surgery, it's half the battle when you have all the confidence in your surgeon!

12-04-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm so glad that you're able to have something done about your pain Janet. Wishing you all the very best and hope you have a smooth recovery.

12-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Good luck and speedy recovery. You've been through this before-but this time you will most likely be out of the pain you've been experiencing. Yay! Keep us posted.

12-04-2010, 07:59 PM
I hope you have a speedy recovery. I'm sorry you have to go back for more surgery, but this will surely put you on the road to less pain and a full recovery.

12-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Good luck, Janet. Hopefully this will resolve your pain issues. Since you have already been through it, at least you know what to expect! I kind of did the reverse. First L4-S1 and then a year and a half later, T3-L1. I really think having had the first one made the second one easier.

12-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks everyone. I know now I will be in less pain as the fused levels really do not hurt. I do know what to expect and my body does too. My Dr says the recovery will also be easier and faster. I am very excited that I will be able to stand up straight all the time. It has improved tremendously but the pitching forward is still there at times.

12-05-2010, 02:54 AM
Hey guys I am new to this forum and was wondering who is a good doctor in the Los Angeles area for degenerative scoliosis in my lumbar. I think I may need sugery in the future but hope to avoid it as long as possible. Welcome any suggestions, thanks!

12-05-2010, 06:03 AM
hi nurseinpain
welcome to the forum...there are many good people here, with much experience to share...

i know of good scoli surgeons at Cedars Sinai...Dr Pashman comes to mind...there are some patients here on forum who had surgery with him...
and i had a consult last January with Dr Anand, also from Cedars Sinai...he is known for minimally invasive approach to lumbar surgery...

best of luck whatever you decide...


12-05-2010, 09:16 AM
If you go to The Scoliosis Research Society website it will show you Dr's in your area affiliated with SRS. Good Luck!

12-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Decided to go ahead with the surgery. I am continuing the fusion from L5-S1 with pelvic fixation and a wedge osteotomy at L3. I trust my Dr and know this will help my pain and balance problems. Thanks everyone for your continued support!

Hi Janet,
Good luck with your upcoming surgery...the osteotomy will help loads in your struggle to stand upright. That in itself will help you to feel so much better! May your recovery be swift and relatively pain free...will you be home for Christmas? I hope Santa will know where to find you ;-)

12-05-2010, 07:50 PM
It sounds like you have the right attitude for this extra surgery. Wishing you the best of luck and a long-term end to the pain!

Nurseinpain--welcome to the forum. We have all gained so much knowledge and support here. I'm sure you will too.


12-06-2010, 10:14 PM
nurseinpain, I had my surgery at cedars sinai. I had Dr. Kropf who works out of the spine institute in Santa Monica. He was very good and took my worries into consideration. I had my surgery on December 9th of 2009. I have my one year anniversary this week. I had T10 to L5. Doctor Kropf insisted in doing my surgery to S1, but I was worried about having no mobility for being only 38 years old. He called me at home about three times and we talked about the advantages and disadvantages. He left it up to me. I hope I don't have to go to S1 in the future, but only time will tell.

12-07-2010, 07:17 AM
You are lucky Rich I tried to preserve S1 also and my Dr gave me the decision. I am afraid I made the wrong one. Only 6 months later I am going back but I am also getting a osteotomy at L3 to help stand straighter.

12-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Hi Janet

Iím so sorry about you having to go through with this, but it seems like the right decision.

I wish you the best with your extension...

I didnít have a choice on my levels.

12-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Hi rich1752
How is your mobility now after surgery? I am quite worried about going through with it and will most likely have to in the future. My doc told me it has an 80% success rate but you know how that goes. My hope is to avoid it as much as possible but I don't know if that is the best option either. Right now it's manageable with nsaids.
Any advice will be most appreciated :)

12-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Hi jsully,
this is why I am so reluctant to getting surgery but I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

12-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Hi, jrnyc,
What was your impression of Dr. Anand? I am thinking of going to see him since he does minimally invasive surgery. Any advice you can give will help since I am very worried about the thought of going through such a drastic surgery.