Spine Camp in Raleigh NC - Oct 30th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spine Camp in Raleigh NC - Oct 30th

On Saturday, October 30, 2010, Raleigh Orthopaedic Clinic and WakeMed Health & Hospitals are co-hosting the third annual Spine Camp in the Health Park on WakeMed Raleigh Campus.

Children, teens and their families are invited to participate in the one-day free camp to learn about the mechanical function of the back and how the back works, nutrition tips and information related to the growing spine, exercises to help manage spinal conditions, the latest treatment options, and the emotional aspects of spinal disorders.

"The goal is to help develop a strong community network for spinal conditions and to provide children, families and friends a chance to come together yearly to support and learn from each other," noted Dr. Mankin.

This year we expect 200 children, family members and friends of children who are in braces, who have undergone surgery or who are awaiting surgery.

More information is available at
    https://www.raleighortho.com/intrane...=5&atomID=1125
    Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
    Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
    Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
    Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
    Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
    Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

Hi HaleyMom

Thanks for posting about the Spine Camp. I read your stats and was wondering, how did your daughter go from 34T to 22T??? Did I read that right? Was that from a Spinecor brace?
    Mother of 14 yr old daughter with scoliosis
    Diagnosed at 12th birthday 1/09: 17T 13L
    6/09: 18T 14L Oh God she's increasing
    4/10: 27T 16L My worst nightmare
    7/10: 33T 18L Oh help God!
    7/10: off to CLEAR Institute: We'll see
    10/10: 33T 16L What?
    1/11: 31T 16L 6 months after CLEAR... hhmmm...

"What a long, strange trip it's been..."

Comment

Originally posted by Still Hoping View Post
      Thanks for posting about the Spine Camp. I read your stats and was wondering, how did your daughter go from 34T to 22T??? Did I read that right? Was that from a Spinecor brace?
      Hi Still Hoping
      A lot of JIS kids see very good results with the SpineCor brace - maybe because their spines are so flexible? We used the SpineCor in combination with Scroth.

We thought our daughter was going to be one of the lucky ones - but she had significant progression once she started her adolescent growth spurt. I don't think any brace would have helped during the past year. However, our ortho Dr did feel that the brace bought her a lot of time.

Spine Camp is sponsored by the Back Talk support group for teens.Over the past 2 years my daughter has seen many of her friends from the support group go through the surgery and quickly bounce back . It's made her much more calm and at peace about her upcoming surgery - though I'm sure we'll both be basket cases on the day of surgery.
      Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
      Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
      Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
      Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
      Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
      Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

Comment

Originally posted by HaleyMom View Post
        Hi Still Hoping
        A lot of JIS kids see very good results with the SpineCor brace - maybe because their spines are so flexible? We used the SpineCor in combination with Scroth.

We thought our daughter was going to be one of the lucky ones - but she had significant progression once she started her adolescent growth spurt. I don't think any brace would have helped during the past year. However, our ortho Dr did feel that the brace bought her a lot of time.

Spine Camp is sponsored by the Back Talk support group for teens.Over the past 2 years my daughter has seen many of her friends from the support group go through the surgery and quickly bounce back . It's made her much more calm and at peace about her upcoming surgery - though I'm sure we'll both be basket cases on the day of surgery.
        These are good points. Bracing does appear to at least buy time as you said in JIS cases which of course is the name of the game. Just from the testimonials here, both Spinecor and the Cheneau have reduced out of brace curves in JIS as far as I know though I am skeptical of any number coming out of Montreal. Maybe most braces fitted properly and worn will do that in JIS. I wish this would get more attention from the researchers because there seems to be a "there" there. Even though there are far more AIS cases, I bet the track record for bracing in JIS is better in absolute numbers than that for AIS just to read the testimonials.

And maybe JIS is easier to study if the cases usually progress as opposed to AIS where it is extremely variable and you need large groups to even say anything about bracing efficacy. On the other hand, and unlike many AIS cases, you have to do something so it would be hard to have a control group.

Good luck with the surgery. Your daughter will be a star.
        Last edited by Pooka1; 10-20-2010, 11:18 AM.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I also suspect there is a higher compliance rate for juveniles.
          mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
          Providence night brace, increased to 35*
          Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
          14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
          11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
          Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
          latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
          currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Your Daughter's Surgery

Originally posted by HaleyMom View Post
            Hi Still Hoping

Sounds like the brace did help your daughter a lot. GOOD LUCK with her surgery. I will be praying for you and your daughter.
            Mother of 14 yr old daughter with scoliosis
            Diagnosed at 12th birthday 1/09: 17T 13L
            6/09: 18T 14L Oh God she's increasing
            4/10: 27T 16L My worst nightmare
            7/10: 33T 18L Oh help God!
            7/10: off to CLEAR Institute: We'll see
            10/10: 33T 16L What?
            1/11: 31T 16L 6 months after CLEAR... hhmmm...

"What a long, strange trip it's been..."

Comment

Working...
            X