corset as stop-gap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corset as stop-gap?

I am finding that I am increasingly unable to sit or stand "up straight" and have bought a figure control garment with stays in it, like a modern-day corset, that helps somewhat (just as a stopgap.) Has anyone else ever tried this? Could I be harming myself by forcing myself to stand/sit erect? It hurts with or without, just differently.

Thanks, Christine
    Pre-surgery: upper curve 44 (and kyphosis), lower curve 45
    Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

surgery: August 29, 2005
    fusion T5-L3
    Surgeon - Dr. Ted Wagner at University of Washington (Seattle)

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Hi Christine...

In order to put off surgery for a year, my doctor prescribed a custom made TLSO brace for me. I only wore it when I needed to stand and walk for more than 10-15 minutes. It helped a lot. Unfortunately, it's not a good long-term strategy, as it causes one's abdominal muscles to atrophy.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Dear Linda,

How can it become abdominal muscles to atrophy??, i dont understand???.

i also use corslet which it has iron on it.

Comment

Christine,
        Did you get a brace to wear after surgery? I am still wondering why some patients get braces postop and some do not, and why some patients get a certain kind of brace and others get a different kind even though the surgeries involved the same fusion levels. I guess it is the doctor's choice. My first surgery I was fused T8 to L3 and I wore a corset type device for 6 months, even slept and showered in it. It was measured for me in the hospital by an orthotist. My current surgery involved fusion from T2 to the sacrum and I have a hard plastic brace. It is not comfortable at all, especially when sitting, and I have had an adjustment done to it and it is still uncomfortable. My doctor said unfortunately they are not made to be totally comfortable. I guess with or without support there will be some discomfort while you are healing.
        JudyK

Comment

Hi Judy...

It really depends on the surgeon. I've found some surgeons who never use braces, some who use braces on adults but rarely on kids, and some who use braces most of the time. I think most doctors will tell you, if they do prescribe a brace, it's just there to remind the patient not to bend or twist.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
          X