Clear All

• Sosort 2010

Finally .... some published material:

http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/supplements/5/S1

Two of my favorites, which deals with adults:

http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/content/5/S1/O32

http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/content/5/S1/O24

Sosort

This is interesting but the curves were only around 40deg. Also, the people were instructed to do follow-up exercises and that was not followed up. There is no way of knowing whether the curves will slowly march on if the exercises are not complied with.

Regarding yoga. This has been often reported as relieving pain and improving flexibility but the patient in question is still tilted and uneven.

Scoliosis is a real beast.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I agree Karen - that scoliosis is a real beast, and that it can cause much suffering. Come to think of it, life is filled with many such things.

I liked that these two findings from SOSORT 2010 offer some hope for adults - often the forgotten patients in terms of non surgical treatment. Yep, the Morningstar study was limited to an "average" curvature of 40 degrees (meaning some were greater, some were less). And while there is no long term follow up yet of a compliant patient group, I did note that there was at least a favorable report that the results were largely maintained 18-27 months later.

As for the Yoga teacher, if she is anything like Miller, then her signs and symptoms of the condition are reduced.

Important contributions to the literature, I think, as we go about discovering some non surgical solutions, towards improvement of quality of life - for those who are in a non surgical category (for whatever reason).

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
        Important contributions to the literature, I think, as we go about discovering some non surgical solutions, towards improvement of quality of life - for those who are in a non surgical category (for whatever reason).
        I wonder just how many adults are truly in a non surgical category. Some are for sure but if it is a relative few then unfortunately there will be little attention to advancing conservative treatments. I would say these folks might be in the same category as the orphan disease folks unfortunately.

I'm guessing the number who simply don't choose surgery when it will likely help dwarfs the group that aren't candidates. Maybe Linda knows.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Don't think anyone can come up with a truly accurate statistic on how many adults are truly in a non surgical category. Certainly they wold be in two distinct groups - either poor candidates, or simply by self choice (from the surgical viewpoint).

Standard protocol (for the adult scoliotic patient) is physical therapy (or rehabilitation by another name), in order to hopefully avoid surgery if possible (excluding the most severe cases based on progression and pain). From that viewpoint, discovering what physical therapy (and the definition of that is quite wide), may be most beneficial, seems important from the patient perspective. It is good to see the medical community work together towards such goals, regardless of what category any given adult may fit into - be it choice or circumstance, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
            (excluding the most severe cases based on progression and pain).
            I'm talking about these folks. The folks who can possibly/probably be helped by surgery but who don't avail themselves of it for whatever reason.

The others clearly shouldn't have surgery if conservative methods are effective. The onus is on the conservative treatment researchers to show efficacy. This is a huge market in terms of lumbar pain I suspect so it is likely many folks are toiling away at it. If someone find some effective long term method, everyone will know about it. No need to go looking for it.... it will find you.

Reading the testimonials from adults, they seem to know when they need surgery and generally don't get surgery before that point so I don't think it is an issue.

All of this is so alien to my experience with my daughters where there was no choice. It must be excruciating trying to suss this out when there apparently is some type of choice.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
            X