Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Sarno

NSF Reference: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/archi...hp/t-1895.html

Was wondering if anyone here has gone to see Dr. Sarno at the Rusk Institute - and if so, what the results may have been.

I saw Dr. Sarno before I even saw a surgeon. I actually believe in his basic concept that some of us have pain because we expect it. I'm actually experiencing it now. Because I usually have sciatica after I've been standing for a few minutes, I know I hold my torso differently because of that expectation. Sarno told me that while he might be able to help with some types of pain caused by scoliosis, when there is a large structural problem, his therapy was unlikely to change anything in the long term.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

i find that so sad! not saying it isn't true...but it is so sad to me!

when i worked, i used to hold my shoulders up and stiff and not realize it for hours...from pain...not expected pain...but pain! though i hope and pray for no pain!!

jess

Comment

Tension Myositis Syndrome

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        I saw Dr. Sarno before I even saw a surgeon. I actually believe in his basic concept that some of us have pain because we expect it. I'm actually experiencing it now. Because I usually have sciatica after I've been standing for a few minutes, I know I hold my torso differently because of that expectation. Sarno told me that while he might be able to help with some types of pain caused by scoliosis, when there is a large structural problem, his therapy was unlikely to change anything in the long term.
        Thank you Linda. His work is fascinating isn't it? There is a medical doctor in New Hampshire who studied/trained under Sarno, and he has worked with scoliosis patients, with some success. I'm looking into this.

Medscape did an interview with Sarno in 2004. Here are the links -

Part I:
        http://www.tms-mindbodymedicine.com/medscape1.htm

Part II:
        http://www.tms-mindbodymedicine.com/medscape2.htm

Will be interesting to see how this develops in the years to come. When did you last speak with Sarno? I wonder if he has had any new/additional experience since then. Wishing you all the best Linda.

Comment

I met and talked to Sarno only once, probably in the late 80's. He is a friend of someone I used to know (but with whom I've since lost contact). I've read just about everything he's written, and haven't read anything that would make me believe he's changed his mind.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
          X