Belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belly

Ever since I had my surgery my belly has been huge! Is this normal? I'm sure this has happened for a lot of reasons, but will this work itself out? What should I be doing to fix this? I can't fit into my biggest pair of jeans and have been reduced to wearing my workout clothes. I even had my husband break out my maternity clothes that I had packed away. Thankfully I wore low rise maternity jeans and the cloth waist band sits below my incision. I hate that I have to wear this when I'm not pregnant.
    Tiffany K
    I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
    4'11", never braced
    Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
    T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Hi Tiffany...

If you do a little searching, you'll find that others have posted similar questions here in the past. I think this is usually just post-surgical swelling that will subside over time, but hopefully some of the others who have had this problem will jump in to tell you how long it took for their swelling to go down and whether they think the swelling resolved completely.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Tiffany- I have quite a bit of belly swelling 11 days post oo. The nurses all told me this was natural and part of the process. It eventually subsides. I just don't know how longbthat "eventually" is.
      Age 56
      Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
      Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
      Thoracic 68
      Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
      Dr Bridwell St Louis
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Oh, fabulous...a big belly and our hair will fall out. I'm so excited.
        Stephanie, age 56
        Diagnosed age 8
        Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
        Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
        Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
        Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
        Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
        Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

I hear ya'. I had a lot of fluid from transfusions and I had the pregnancy belly for quite a while. I have never been what you would call slim, but I'm one who actually experienced about a 10 lb. weight gain post-op, despite getting more aerobic exercise than I ever have in my life and trying to eat really healthy meals. Anyway, it took at least 3 months until I was fitting into my "normal" pants again and even now, it seems like my belly is still really flabby. A physician friend of mine said the body reabsorbs the fluid very slowly so as not to throw your whole system out of balance. The back of me looks a whole lot better but not the front!

Anne in PA
          Age 58
          Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
          T4 to sacrum fusion
          63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
          Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
          Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Three months doesn't sound so bad. My shirts are long enough to cover the maternity stretchy band so no one will know. It's not like I'm running around with belly shirts on!

Stephanie- Don't worry so much. It may or may not happen to you, but in the end it will all be worth it.
            Tiffany K

29 years old
            4'11", never braced

Comment

I too had the swollen belly (and the hair loss!) Sorry Steph! (Truly, it's not as bad as it sounds!)

I still have a slightly protruding belly, but I put it down to the amount of lordosis I was given. I guess yer innards have to go somewhere.

Hoping some kayaking might tighten my stomach muscles this Spring/Summer.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I remember getting up the next morning for my first steps post-op, feeling my belly and thinking 'oh my stars, how am i going to get rid of this with no sit ups?'. I had anterior surgery which resulted in me having a caesarian like cut. I think the swelling was due to this. It did go down slowly. In the meantime, i wore pants in one size up. I may be visiting this 'belly issue' again as tomorrow afternoon, i am scheduled for a hyster due to adenomyosis and fibroids. Keep up with the exercising and hold those abdominals in tight. Best wishes that all this should disappear soon!
                Vali
                44 years young! now 45
                Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                Post -op - 5 degrees
                T11 - S1 Posterior
                L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Hi Tiffany,
                  Our surgeries were in the same week. I just wanted to let you know that I also still have swelling in my abdomen and also in my back, on both sides of the incision. I know that the swelling has gone down since the first week, however, I measured my waist this week and it is still 3 inches larger than before the surgery. The rest of me looks like a stick figure (in the words of my husband), so it's not really a good look . If I can get back in real pants at 3 months, I will be happy with that.
                  Kathy
                  46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                  71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                  8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                  http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

I had post op swelling of belly (and back of course), and I weighed a few lbs MORE than I went into the hospital weighing. Even so, my body (arms, legs, face) looked thinner--I think I was just retaining the water in my tummy. Within one month, 10 lbs dropped, which I think was mostly water weight, and the swelling went away.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

What is this about hair falling out after surgery???

Comment

Mary Ann: Hair loss is common after a major surgery or illness. It's normally temporary and nothing to freak out about. However, I do feel like a dog shedding its winter coat though!
                        Tiffany K

29 years old
                        4'11", never braced

Comment

Hi Tiffany

A few months, and things will adjust. It gets better every day, one day at a time. Take it slow.

When I went home, I was looking like I was 8 months along, and nothing fit. I lost 40# in 40 days, but in the end, my waist size increased by 2 inches due to the change in shape from my construct. I had to buy all new jeans and slacks 2 inches larger.

I don’t feel that I lost much hair, maybe gained a few grey hairs, but that’s ok, I pay my hairdresser extra to cut them all out! LOL
                          Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Tiffany-

Just wanted to let you know I also have the hair loss problem. I had my surgery on June 8. For the first 2 months I couldn't believe how much hair had fallen out every time I took a shower. It is still falling out alot, but probably about a week ago has slowed down alittle. I was starting to get scared as I lost so much in the front of my head you can almost see through my scalp. Someone I spoke to said you can take a supplement called Biotin. Has anyone here tried it before for hair loss, and did it help?

JenM
                            Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                            Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                            Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                            Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                            31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

I looked 4 months pregnant (according to my mom) at two weeks post-op due to all the swelling and constipation too, haha. I'm only 5'3" and 105 lbs, so my belly looked ridiculous and I was very afraid it would stay that way. But after about a month, I was totally back to normal

Comment

Working...
                              X