Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How soon can you get your hair done after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How soon can you get your hair done after surgery?

Question for the ladies!

I'm due for a cut/color but my surgery is in less than 3 weeks and I feel like it's sort of pointless to look good, only to sit home for weeks on end!

How soon do you think one would be able to sit in a chair for a while to get hair cut and colored? I'm more concerned with the idea of leaning back for the whole hair washing process...

Btw, I understand my fusion levels would affect this answer - I am scheduled to be fused from T5-L2.

Thank you!!

Jamie-- I just looked on my 2007 calendar... I knew I went fairly soon but it was kind of difficult. I went 5 weeks after my surgery, for a cut and color. I had my brace on though, so that gave me support for my back. I took some bed pillows to sit on, that helped boost me up in the seat too, so that it wasn't so far when she tilted me back to rinse. Even now I still use the pillows, and even now it still is a pain in the neck for me, quite literally. One of these days I'm just going to bite the bullet and go gray, but I'm not ready to quite yet. Part of the problem may be because we are so rural and this is a country place with a one chair operation, and maybe a bit outdated as far as comfort goes.

Others have talked about coloring their own at home and rinsing off in the shower. And I remember some mentioning having their hair stylist coming to their home. Best wishes for whatever you work out!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Jamie -- I showered and washed my hair at home. Went to my hairdresser with a wet head. She cut my hair and then put the color on. I went back home with the color in my hair and as soon as I got home, it was time to rinse the color out. I got in the shower and rinsed it out. It was no trouble at all. I was concerned about not being able to get it done, but it worked out great. I don't think I could have leaned back in the chair to have it washed by my hairdresser. Good luck!!

Glenda
      Glenda
      Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
      Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
      Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
      A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
      Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
      Pleased with outcome

Comment

Oh my gosh this was one of my concerns as I do cut and color every 5 weeks. I had it done two days before my surgery, so I felt good in the immediate recovery time. I have gone to the same young lady for 2 years or so and the salon let me hire her on the side to come to my house on her day off. She would color, we would sit, I would go up to the shower rinse hair, and she would then cut and blow dry. Worked out great. In fact it's 5 months and I'm just getting geared up to go back to the salon soon. My neck and back used to bother me before, so I can't even imagine laying back washing hair soon after surgery. I am impressed with how soon some did.
        Good luck!
        Shari - 55 years old
        Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
        Post op 13 degree curve.
        Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
        2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
        Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
        www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Wow, I hadn't even thought about this. I know my friend who does my hair will definitely come to my house to do it, so that will help. I can't imagine, with everything we have to go through with this surgery, who wants a root line on top of all that? Sometimes it's the little things that help you feel better about the big things.
          Stephanie, age 56
          Diagnosed age 8
          Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
          Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
          Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
          Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
          Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
          Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

I'm going for a haircut on Saturday which will be almost 6 weeks post-op for me. I plan on trying the Glenda method. I'll go with wet hair, get it cut and then will have color applied (just doing the part line this time). Then I will come home to shower the color out. This will be my first outing since coming home from St. Louis. My husband is nervous about taking me, but I said, "I have hairy legs, I wear sweats every day, I HAVE to get my hair cut"! . A girl has got to draw the line somewhere.
            Kathy
            46 yrs at surgery, now 50
            71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
            8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
            http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Wow ladies, that's amazing that you were able to go to a salon so soon after. I'm planning on coloring my hair at home like I always do a few days before and getting it cut short so I won't need anything for at least a couple months. Also going to get a nice pedicure right before too.

Any other special things you ladies had done right before? I want to spoil myself silly.
              Laurie
              Age 57
              Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
              Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
              Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
              Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
              Dr Munish Gupta
              UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

I was one of the lucky ones who has my hairdresser come to my house since my surgery. After my color is done I shower & shampoo it out myself. I had my hair colored the day before surgery (had to look beautiful in surgery after all, BWHAHAHAHAHA) and then had it done about 6 weeks post op--which is a stretch for me. I usually go every 4 weeks!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

JamieAnn, my suggestion would be to have it done before surgery because you're going to have a whole new body and you will wish you had your hair done pre-op. By the time the next cut and colour is due, you will be able to either do it yourself at home, like I did, showering it out, or be game enough to tackle the salon's chairs/basins.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Pedicure question

After my haircut, I need a pedicure. All of the spas that I have been to have those big, soft, massaging chairs with the water basins attached. Were you guys able to sit in those (able to get in and lift yourself out of those chairs) at 6 weeks post-op (especially those fused to sacrum)? Or does anyone have suggestions for alternate ways to get a pedicure (that do not involve my husband)? Will nail techs come to your home for example?
                    Kathy
                    46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                    71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                    8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Well, girls, we do have to do our girly things to feel better about ourselves. I am planning to get a pedicure right before surgery to relax,as much as anything. I know there was a thread about acrylic nails and I plan to ask Dr. Lenke in Nov. I may get them removed the same day if he recommends it. I have a hairdresser in a less than a year old salon. The shampoo chairs seem very comfortable (that is now-maybe not after surgery) I had even talked to her about washing my hair before I was allowed to get the incision wet. The next time I go I'll have to see if getting in and out of the chair would be a problem. If so, I'll try the wash at home, color there, and rinse out at home that some suggested. I sure don't want gray roots on top of everything else. I hope I care enough post surgery. Who knows?
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I still struggle to cut my toenails but it's getting easier all the time. At first, I got my partner to do them, but he hated the job. My daughter did it for a while but then I realised I could reach them - barely - so wanted to do them myself. It isn't easy, but I'm just glad I can do it without asking anybody else! At about 12 months I was able to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                          I still struggle to cut my toenails but it's getting easier all the time. At first, I got my partner to do them, but he hated the job. My daughter did it for a while but then I realised I could reach them - barely - so wanted to do them myself. It isn't easy, but I'm just glad I can do it without asking anybody else! At about 12 months I was able to do it.
                          How much are you fused?

Melissa

Comment

T4 to pelvis, Melissa.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                              T4 to pelvis, Melissa.
                              I am T2 to sacrum .

I am waiting to see by next year if I will be able to cut my toe nails

Melissa
                              Last edited by mbeckoff; 09-11-2010, 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X