Moody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moody

For the past couple weeks since the surgery I cry at some point during each day. It's never the same time of day and not always for the same reason. I just seem to be so moody and I feel like I'm apologizing constantly to my family. Has anyone else gone through this after surgery or am I just being too emotional?
    Tiffany K
    I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
    4'11", never braced
    Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
    T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Are you still on narcotics? They made Sheena very emotional, she would cry for no apparent reason and she's not one to cry in front of me. She took herself off of them because of the moodiness.

I think she had a bit of depression for a few months following surgery too. She had to get used to the idea that she wouldn't be able to move as freely as she had before and also she had residual pain that she dealt with for a while. I can't speak from personal experience, but I'm sure it takes some time to adjust.

Comment

I cried a LOT after my surgery...I think it was definitely the narcotics, but also just the aftereffects of putting your mind and body through a very scary operation. I tried to be very brave before the surgery, and so I kind of fell apart afterwards. Luckily my family understood and let me work it all out in my own time.

So yeah, I think it's totally normal, and it will pass eventually.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thank you for telling about the narcotics. I honestly didn't even notice that a possible side effect of the percocet is mood swings. Figures. I could check off nearly every one of the side effects except vomit. I should have checked before hand as I know I tend to be sensitive to medicines. At least now I know that I'm not losing it.
        Tiffany K
        I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
        4'11", never braced
        Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
        T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Comment

Tiffany -- I too had feelings of hopelessness in the first few weeks following my surgery. I wondered if I had done the right thing and also questioned what if I never get any better than this. But, after a few weeks the hopelessness began to fade and I finally got past it. Don't be too hard on yourself. This will go away with time and as you take fewer meds.
          Glenda
          Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
          Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
          Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
          A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
          Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
          Pleased with outcome

Comment

Working...
          X