Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is Long Fusion Compared to Wearing Milwaukee Brace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is Long Fusion Compared to Wearing Milwaukee Brace?

Assuming I end up fused nearly from top to bottom, how is the end result different from wearing a Milwaukee brace? I keep reading about all these problems putting on socks and shoes,etc., and yet I did all these things and tons more when I was a young girl and braced 24 hours a day. And in the brace I had no ability to bend my neck, either, whereas I will have that after surgery, at least. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the brace didn't allow some motion at the sacrum that I won't have if I'm fused to the sacrum with surgery. Is this correct? I certainly remember the brace went nearly down to my hip joint with that awful molded leather and metal frame, and I don't know how it could have allowed motion at L5 to S1, but maybe it did?

I have excellent flexibility in my hips, which I think is due to the many years of bracing in childhood, so will this help me?

I did all kinds of things in that brace: played tennis, ice skated, rode bikes and skate boards, climbed and hiked and played...will being mostly fused be so different? I'm trying to get a good idea of what I will be able to do, once I'm healed, and what life will be like from there on.
    Stephanie, age 56
    Diagnosed age 8
    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Flexibility issue

Stephanie,
    Welcome to the forum and good luck on finding what you are looking for ;-)
    I am fused T4 to the Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation. What I've noticed on this board is that the people most worried about flexibility are the one who haven't had surgery yet. The people who have had surgery will say that you can do much more than you expected you could do. And you adapt. At this point in my recovery, I can put shoes on, socks, cut my toenails, pick things up off the floor. I am still 5 months post from my revision so I am restricted to 20 lb lifting right now, no repetitive bending or twisting but eventually that will be cancelled. I was so limited pre-surgery by pain that any minor limitations I have now are not something I think about. I never wore a brace as a teen so I can't speak to any comparisions. I wore a post op brace and it was somewhat limiting in things I could do, and it supposed to be. The surgeon doesn't want you bending or twisting after surgery for a few months. Sorry to be so rambling...
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

That's not rambling, and even if it was, I'm here for information and enlightenment, so ramble on, please!

I know when I was first braced my parents bought me all this special equipment, thinking I'd need all kinds of help I didn't need.

Also, my chiropractor told me he had patients with full fusions and "they do everything", so I am hopeful.

But I'd still like to hear from anyone who has been braced, for the comparison I posed. Anyone? I know some of you were in Milwaukee Hell, too. God, how I hated that thing, but I was one of those "good girls" who wore it exactly as ordered.
      Stephanie, age 56
      Diagnosed age 8
      Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
      Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
      Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
      Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
      Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
      Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Hi Stephanie,

I had that awful brace as a teenager too, from 14-18 yrs old. Now it is a little hard to remember that far back..... but I don't think my brace kept me from much either. I'm fused T3-L3. All I can tell you is that now, almost 2 years post op, I don't have problems doing anything I want to do. Now in the beginning, you will have more limitations (bending, lifting, twisting) but I do remember about 2-3 weeks post op being proud that I could put on my own socks.

It's amazing how much we can adjust to this fused spine. It just feels normal to me now.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I was never braced so I can't compare notes on that. However, I am almost 8 months post op with a long fusion and I am amazed at what I can do. Even in the last few weeks, I have been able to do more--bend over to reach into the freezer, unjam the copier at school, put leashes on the dogs, can paddle a kayak (although getting out of it is not pretty etc. I still don't lift much, I have trouble bending over to pick something up from a seated position and I still get pedicures (nice problem). I wouldn't say I feel completely normal, but I am back to my teaching job with very few limitations and certainly free of the pain I was dealing with a year ago at this time.

Anne in PA
          Age 58
          Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
          T4 to sacrum fusion
          63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
          Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
          Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

wow, Anne...i was just thinking of you tonite, because the school buses are all back on their routes..so i thinking of you and wondering how it was to go back to teaching after the surgery healed...

good to hear how well you are doing! i am thrilled for you!!

jess

Comment

Working...
            X