Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion on Dr. Rand or Dr. Wood in Boston?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on Dr. Rand or Dr. Wood in Boston?

I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has used either Dr. Frank Rand or Dr. Kirkham Wood in Boston for their surgeries. I have a 51 lumbar/41 thoracic curve that is causing so much pain that I am no longer able to stand or walk. My guess is that I'm going to need surgery, and I'd like to consult with either or both of them. Thank you so much for your insight!

Sally (loves to skate) had Dr Rand i believe...if you search for her name you will find her posts...or go to search and type in Dr Rand...

jess

Comment

Hi Jennifer,
      I had Dr. Rand and he is very kind and compassionate. It was love at first sight. I never went for a second opinion, so I don't know much about Dr. Wood. There was a young woman in her 20's awhile back who went to Dr. Wood and was very pleased, but we haven't heard from her in a long time. She also had a mild form of brittle bone disease so only got about a 50% correction. I have osteopenia so Dr. Rand wasn't able to give me much of a correction either. He was able to give me a proper lordosis in the lumbar area, stabilize my spine, a good saggital balance and my smaller thoracic curve has corrected itself. He has basically given me my life back even though I still have some residual nerve pain in my right leg. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. You might also check out Paul Glaser at Beth Israel Deaconess. I have only seen one person on this forum who had him but about a year ago there was a news person with one of the TV stations in Boston who went to him and did a health news item on the surgery that I posted on this forum. If you have specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find the Doctor that fits well with your problem.

Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi, I have been trying myself to decide between Dr. Rand and Dr. Wood, and have just recently decided to have my surgery with Dr. Rand. My surgery is scheduled for January 11th.
        Lumbar Curve pre-op: 72
        Thoracic Curve pre-op: 43
        Thoracic Curve post op: 0
        Lumbar Curve post op: 2

Surgery date: January 11, 2011
        Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist, Boston

Comment

You will be in good hands. When I had my pretesting, everyone told me I was in good hands with Dr. Rand. I found it to be comforting. Take care, Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Another voice and vote for Dr. Rand. I had a total of 5 consultations and decided on Dr. Rand. He has a great bedside manner and a terrific dry sense of humor and he's not a bad surgeon either. Like Sally, I am a member of his fan club.
            Avis
            1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
            2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
            2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
            Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Working...
            X