Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pain - upper left back (from rod) & shoulder pain

Hi friends-

I am currently 11 weeks post-op. Overall I am doing and feeling better, but I still have pain, mainly a new pain that started about 2 1/2 weeks ago. The top of my left rod (I am fused at the top at L3 which is around my shoulder blade) feels inflamed from basically 2 hours after I get out of bed in the morning and feels that way right into the nighttime and never lets up. I look at the clock at night and count down the hours that I can put my kids to sleep! I feel so bad but this pain takes everything out of me. I wish I could just be normal and play with my kids. I am constantly putting movies on for them because I need lots of rest periods. When I drive, I am basically just using my right arm. Just shutting the car door with my left arm really iritates the back of the left side of my upper back and rod. This is really strange since the "hump" and scoliosis curve was on the right side of my upper back. Question for the post-op people - Did anyone ever experience this, and if so, is it going to go away in time? I'm just scared I'll have this pain forever and it will never go away. I'm thinking the muscles on the left side of my back, which was the good side before surgery, were just not used as they were supposed to be. Before surgery, all the pain was on the right side of my thoracic curve, now I can't believe the pain is on the left side!!!

Also, this is affecting my left shoulder. It feels like I am developing tendonitis or something, maybe the pain is even coming from pinched nerves from my neck, I dunno. No one at PT seems to know either. My left shoulder/upper left back is so bad I am constantly icing it, putting heat on it, and nothing seems to work. Anyone else have shoulder problems after surgery?? I even got a massage in my neck/shoulder area this weekend and did not feel any type of relief from it. I am 11 weeks post-op and this "new" pain makes me question why did I get the surgery?? Some days I am glad, but the past 2 weeks have been tough with my left shoulder and upper left back. I am hoping these new pains will go away with time. Just looking to see if anyone else experienced this.

Thanks!! And good luck to all of those about to get surgery! Debra, I will be thinking about you on Sept. 1! Best of luck to you and the others!

Take care,
    JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Hi Jen,
    I too had been, still am a little bit dealing with a pain below my rod on the Left side of my back. I used to have pain on the right. My PT said that was normal because before it was affecting the muscles on the R because of my spine curving that way. Now it hurts on the other, L, side because the muscles are being pushed back. I do stretching at PT for the muscles involving that area. Maybe they could show you one that involves your affected area. I also do a lot of back stregthening and have been for 4 weeks now. Maybe they should get you started on that too? Hope it feels better soon. Also try icing it, I do that as well which helps.
    Janet
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Hi Jen,
      I had a lot of pain right around both shoulder blades for the first few months post-op. My Dr. said it was from fatigue of the muscles doing work they had never done before. It wasn't horrible, but nothing really relieved it, either. It has gradually subsided. I do a lot of swimming and I think that has helped. I think sometimes we have so much pain immediately post-op, and as that slowly improves, we become more aware of other pain that was there all along, but just sort of becomes more noticeable as we heal. I have more pain on my right side (opposite side of the curve and rib hump) too, so I think that stretching of those long-compressed muscles takes quite a while. I'd certainly contact your Dr. if it continues to worsen. Best of luck to you--you've had more than your share of post op challenges!

Anne in PA
      Age 58
      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
      T4 to sacrum fusion
      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

I know people say this all the time, but you are still so early in your recovery! Pains come and pains go. There has been alot of manipulation in your back muscles and nerve regeneration and it really does take time for it all to feel right. Don't feel like it will last forever... it won't. I remember after my first surgery how much pain I was in for such a long time and I felt like it would never end. It was depressing and my husband saw me cry many times because I just couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel! Time is your friend....No doubt your shoulder pain will go away in time, it seems to be a common complaint. I had it too, it must be muscle irritation or strain. I find if I do too much, my body will tell me a day or two later with pain. Good luck, you are doing great so far!
        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
        X