Recovery time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery time

about how long does it take to recover from scoliosis surgery?

Re: Recovery time

It depends how long you are in the surgery recovery room for. The doctor said that it will take about a year to ride a bike again and about 1 week to get to walk on your own.. these are things that my mom and doctors told me. but if you want to be pacific let me know.. Im 12 years old and having surgery ih jan.

KERI

Comment

Dare2care...

It varies a LOT by patient. I've known kids who were off of pain medication by two weeks, and back to school in a month. I've also known kids who took a lot longer. You should check with your surgeon's office. They can give you a much better estimate.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My case was this:

Sitting up in bed, moving to chair: day after surgery.

Walking with a walker- second day after surgery

Walked holding on to IV pole third and 4th days (drs wanted me to use the walker, but it seemed to get in the way more than anything, so I refused to use it) , 5th day walking completely unaided.

Was forbidden to climb stairs until my checkup roughly 2 weeks post op, but did so from a week post op without problem.

Rode Exercise cycle starting with 30 minutes a day and gradually increasing from 10 days post op.

Not allowed to drive my car until almost 2 months... Started jogging a bit at that point.

Began riding my horses at 3 months post op (9 months ahead of doctor's clearance).

Now... I had a relatively fast recovery. I will admit, I frequently pushed myself too hard too. Also note that I spent a couple months ahead of time going to the gym 5 days a week and working out, running roughly 4 miles each day, doing a lot of stretching (particularly hamstrings... this helped a lot as I am still able to touch my toes after being fused to L1). I feel that the time and effort I spent getting myself into as good of physical shape as possible was incredibly advantageous... The better shape you're in going into a surgery, the better shape you should come out of it...
        Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
        Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
        Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
        Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
        February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
        September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Working...
        X