Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Should i do?

Hello,

This is Emily and i have a question to everyone that reads this. My doctors say i should i have surgery on my back because, both upper and lower of my curves are at 60 degree's and i am only 17 right now. I have known about my back since the 6 grade and now i am in 12 grade.

I dont have a lot of back pain. But my doctor told me when i get about 40 i will have breathing problems and lung problems and that scares me. So i am not sure what to do about the hole thing.

I would like it if someone would tell me what they think...

Emily

what should i do

Hi emily,
    I think your dr is right. My daughter just had surgery for a 61 degree curve and i know they say if the curve is above 50 it will continue into adulthood. I know surgery is a scary thought, but you don't want your curve to continue to progress and interfere with your lung capacity, etc..
    If i were you i would definitely get another opinion or a few other opinions before you jump into surgery.
    good luck
    jennifer

Comment

Thank you for relplying. The thing is that i am scared if i have it done that i wont be normal. Or i cant live a normal life? Does your daughter say that she wishies she never did the surgery?

I am going to get a second opinon. But I want to live a normal life. Like in 1o years or so i would want to have children. I dont want them to have what i have. Or i be in pain when i am carring them, or durring the 9 months have problems.

Comment

what should i do

hi emily
        There are so many people on here that have had surgery and lead totally normal lives. I think if your curve continues to get worse and you don't have surgery you eventually may not be able to lead a normal life because of the things it can do to you. I know cosmetically my daughter did not look right. She had a big rib hump and now that looks great. It is too soon since my daughter just had the surgery last week to say if she is glad she had it, but i think when she is pain free she will be glad she did it. She did not want to have the surgery but with a 61 degree curve it is something we had to do for her. I think if we didn't do it when she was older and it got worse she would be mad that we didn't have her do it when she was still young. I know that it is easier to recoup when you are young as opposed to someone older. Surgery is a tough decision to make and it is a big surgery, but i think you should talk to some more people who have had the surgery and are pain free. This board is really great.
        any other questions don't hestitate to ask away.
        jennifer

Comment

My daughter had her sugery 6 months ago. She is glad that she had it done. Of course there are some things that she can't do at the moment and some that she will never be able to do. But there are ways around every restriction that you find. I have heard a few people now that have had normal pregnancy and births after having scoliosis surgery. I had also asked my daughters doctors about it before she had her surgery and they all said that there shouldn't be any problems.
          Don't just go along with the first doctors opinion, get as many as you can. If they all tell you the same thing choose one that you feel comfrotable with and that answers all the questions you have.
          Best wishes.
          Cheryl.

Comment

Hi Emily,

The good news is that this is not an emergency. There is no reason to rush into surgery. Get at least three opinions, and take your time. You are young and healthy and not in pain.

The bad news is that as you age, the curve might progress, and it will definitely become more rigid (more stiff and harder to straighten out), and your vertebrae will start to erode, and you may experience things like nerve damage, arthritis, etc. BUT that will NOT happen tomorrow. You can take the time, pick the right doctor, and get this done on your terms, when it won't mess you up for school, or applying to colleges, or whatever is your life priority right now.

I don't know what your financial or insurance situation is, but if you are not planning on going to college, your health insurance through your parents might be stopping when you turn 18. Also, Shriners offers free surgery for people 18 or under. If you schedule your first appointment with them by the time you're 18, they'll treat you through your 21st birthday, so if you or your family might need their help, think about scheduling at least an initial consultation with them soon.

Best of luck Emily!

Susanna
            Susanna
            ~~~~~~
            Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Hi Emily,
              I am twelve years old. I have known about my scoliosis when I was six years old. My upper curve is 65 degrees and my lower 54 degrees. My doctor told me that after 50 degrees it is very likely that without surgery curves will progress into adulthood. I am having surgery done on my curves in April or May of next year. I decided that the surgery would do the best for me. I tried a brace but the curves were just too big. Get a feww opinions if you want. Just like Susanna said scoliosis surgery is normally not an emergent surgery. Take your time and you will find what is right for you. I wish you luck!
              ~*Lauren*~
              Braced for 5 months
              Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
              Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
              Surgery on April 26th 2005
              Fused from T3-L4
              Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

Thank you

Thank you all for writing to me. This helps me a lot! Some of my friends i have told nd they said to go and do the surgery. Others are not sure. I just dont want to hate myself later in life if i did not do it or did.

Theres this lady that i work with and her daughter had it done and she said she was glad that she got it done. I asked her mom to ask her a lot of questions for me. So ill see what she says.

See like 2 years ago i was going to have the surgery but one doctor said i did not need it and i did not do the surgery because my degrees were in the 50's. He should me pictures of people with the scar and without the surgery and it scared me!

so thats why i dont know what to do about it. At school i been looking up things about the surgery and what will happen. Its very sad to read about it so i dont say much to people about it.

in my life right nw it feels like all the bad things are major and the good things just last for awhile. But i quess that is life right?

i just feel like writing sorry i know this is post to be about the surgery but my best friend is not my best friend anymore and i just want to share what i am thinking.

my best friend is going to have a baby i used to care about her but she seems lik she does not care at all and she is only 18 i have about 5 friends that i know are going to have a kid and 3 that all ready had a kid this year. Its verry sad!

One of other friends used me to drive her home from school and to work (cuz i work with her) but that is all another story.

But i am still thinking about the surgery and i just need to have a eace about everything. With God and with myself. Thanks for listening....

Comment

Hi Emily,

It's difficult to take everything on board when the decisions seem so big and life-changing, and when other things like friendships sometimes aren't going as you would like. As some of the others said, remember that time is on your side, and you have time to think things through and talk to as many people as you need before deciding to go into surgery.

I just wanted to say that in my case, what really helped me make the decision whether or not to have surgery was going to see three different surgeons. It was very draining, but after two of them recommended me NOT to have surgery, I feel like I should trust them. (My situation is that my top curve was 40 degrees when I stopped growing. Now, at 29 years old, it's about 48. So it's definitely progressing, but very very slowly. They said that until it starts progressing much faster or causing pain they would wait until that happened, or it gets to about 55-60 degrees, or I get to my late 30s, before doing surgery.)

So, if possible, try and see a couple of surgeons, if only to put your mind at rest. If you see a few and they all tell you more or less the same thing, then it's easier to make the decision. For what it's worth, I know that it's much easier to recover and get on with your life having this surgery at a younger age. (For me one of the worse things is "waiting" and seeing what happens next!) I have read and heard so many stories of people who have gotten back to life very normally after surgery. Also, pregnancy is not usually affected by having the rods in the back, and fusion usually doesn't have a big impact on pregnancy and delivery.

All the best, and let us know what happens.
                  ~Laura
                  30y/o
                  Upper curve around 55
                  Lower curve around 35

Comment

Thank you for writing me i am goingto ask my mom if i can go to 2 other doctors. And see what they say. But i want to thank you all for writing me back. It means a lot to me that i have someone to talk to and write too. Thank you.

I have a question for anyone i heard that if you have scoliosis that you will past it on to your children. Is that true?
                    If i have a baby will the baby have scoliosis just like me? Because that would just be bad to think about. oh gees.

But a good news about things is that thanksgiving is coming here soon! My sister is coming down with her husband and they will find out about my back and they will pray for me (they always pray for me) Which i love because i love god. But its going to be nice to spend time with family.

What is everyone else doing for the holiday?

Emily

Comment

I saw one of my friends the other day at work which i have not seen in four years! She had the surgery about 6 months ago and she is walking around fine and everything. I asked her questions and she was like i never really thought about it. the doctor told me to do it and i did. So then i asked her to show me her scar and it just blew my mind that it was like oh gosh. How horrable a line down her back... Its just big about 1 inch or a little more. I am not saying its a bad thing but it makes me think about it a lot.

And when i think about me having the surgery its like i am going to have a line down my back for life. I am not sure what to do now about what i saw but all in all, i wish this Never happen to me or anyone!!!!

Comment

Emily,

I am the mother of an 11 year old girl who has a 43 degree curve she will almost certainly need surgery as she has many many years of growing left. I too wish this never happened to her or anyone else for that matter. You have to try to put things into perspective. There are children who are perfectly healthy and normal and may god bless them, then there are children who are fighting for their lives everyday and may god especially bless them. We are fortunate in that scoliosis is never life threatening. We are fortunate in that there is a surgery although not pleasant, but one that can make many people feel better emotionally and physically. I can understand your fears but first off scars fade in time 6 months is still very soon.There are creams that heal scars so they may be less noticable. If a curve continues to progress that wont be very pretty either. My daughters back is already extremely noticable. Gather all the knowledge you can, get as many opinions as you can, ask questions and relate your concerns to your surgeon. Whatever you decide It will be what is right for you.
                        Linda.

Comment

Hi Emily,

Hi, remember, scars fade and are easily hidden. Don't let that be the deciding factor.

With that said, it is totally normal to feel scared. It IS a really big scar and very major surgery, and under no circumstances should you rush into this. The surgery is final. Once done you can not go back. Get as many opinions as your family can manage, but remember....

1) Thousands of people have this surgery every year and few have any serious complications.

2) If you have done your research, and picked a top notch doc, your chances of complications drop even more.

3) Each year you wait the curve gets worse, and could get more stiff, meaning there's more permanent damage and it's harder to correct.

4) Only you can decide what's best. Ultimately, it is your body and your choice.

We're here to listen, however you (with the support of your friends and your family) must make the decision that's right for you.

Susanna
                          Susanna
                          ~~~~~~
                          Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Hi Emily,
                            Sadly,yes it is true that scoliosis passes on through families. My grandmother and my dad had it now I have it. It isn't always the case though. If you have a child it still might not have scoliosis. There is just a greater risk of them having it.
                            ~*Lauren*~
                            Braced for 5 months
                            Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
                            Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
                            Surgery on April 26th 2005
                            Fused from T3-L4
                            Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

Re: What Should i do?

hey emily this is keri. im 12 years old and im having surgery in jan. my mom and the doctors told me that it will be a 4 hour surgery and that it wont be that bad... you have nothung to be scard off. well when you find out anything let the web site know...

best of wishes

KERI

Comment

Working...
                              X