Back to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to work

Hi all - I haven't been on here in a while. Wanted to share I am back to work part-time now. I went 3 days last week, and going M-F, this week. I will say my back was very sore and stiff. But I figure I just have to work through it. At 4 months post-op, and all the complications that I had, I am doing pretty darn good. I still take motrin every 5-6 hours and have sore muscles.
    My right shoulder still gets droopy, especially when back is sore and tired. Getting back to pretty normal life though. Life is good.
    Thanks again for all of the support this community shares!
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

After all you've been through, it's lovely to hear that life is getting back to normal for you. Four months isn't long, plenty of improvements yet to come. You sound good though!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

That's great to hear, congratulations!

Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Good to hear Shari. I am going back at 12 weeks. I still have a lot of pain at times and stiffness that I too am just going to have to work through. I also tend to lean forward when walking which worsens the busier and more tired I get. Hopefully it won't be too bad, will have time for periods of rest throughout the day. Congratulations and good luck on this big step!!

Janet
        36 year young cardiac RN
        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

I can't believe it . That both of you working. That is great news!!. I am still taking naps and in horrible pain. I am glad for both of you

Melissa

Comment

Melissa,
            I am not working yet. I am going back in 2 weeks and hoping for the best. I am unfortunately out of sick pay and can't live off 50% of my salary that Short Term Disability pays. I do wish I had a little more time. Wish me luck and hope I survive everyone. I think there is no other way so see if I am ready unless I try.
            Janet
            36 year young cardiac RN
            old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
            new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
            Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
            Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
            and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

I do wish you luck and every thing else that you need

I am just saying that there is no way that I could consider working at any type job doing any thing now

Melissa

Comment

Janet, that is what I thought. I just have to get back to see if I can do it. My job and disability as well as my surgeon all agree to put me off work if I am not doing well. So far so good. I came home today at 1pm with a very sore back though. I am certainly not going to push with all I've been through. I hope you don't either.

Melissa, you'll be surprised how just all of a sudden you will start to make dramatic improvements. At 3 months I was thinking no way I can go back in 4 weeks. And I just got feeling better and better. Once I got off my prescription pain meds, and my PICC line for antibiotics removed, and I got to walking more, things moved right along. You hang in there, you'll be doing better before you know it.

Thank you all for the nice thoughts!!
                Shari - 55 years old
                Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                Post op 13 degree curve.
                Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Great news Shari. It probably feels wonderful to get out of the house and get into the old routine and "back to normal" as much as you can at this stage, anyway. Both you and Laura (Radiogirl) have inspired me and give me hope that I can do this! You have come a long way.
                  Laurie
                  Age 57
                  Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
                  Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
                  Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
                  Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
                  Dr Munish Gupta
                  UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Working...
                  X